Spontaneous 100% Awake Time

Last Updated:

1. zyrzox

zyrzox Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my her0 since a couple of days before the official release. In that time, I've had problems with SMTP over Wi-Fi, SD card corruption, dust under the glass, unreliable GPS functionality and a few OS-based quirks and anomalies...but overall, I really like and am generally happy with this device.

Now, after almost four months, my awake time has suddenly gone from 15-25% to 100% for no apparent reason. I didn't suffer from the original round of SMS-induced awake time problems so I never even bothered to try a third-party SMS app.

I first noticed this problem about two weeks ago, when my battery started draining and continued draining at an alarming rate seemingly from the moment I unplugged the phone from a power source. I went from having about 1/4 of the charge left over at the end of any given day to having 1/2 of the charge gone after only three or four hours. I found a real-time CPU monitor which revealed nothing out of the ordinary. I have since uninstalled almost all of my applications, to no avail. I tried Handcent SMS for a day but that didn't make any difference, either, so I also uninstalled that.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Should I take the phone to Sprint and let them really mess it up...? That's pretty much a last resort for me, so I'm hoping to find a few other alternatives before succumbing to that dreaded option.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Z-

Advertisement
  2. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Have you tried seeing what spare parts says?

3. zyrzox

I just downloaded it and will let it run for the day to see what it comes back with. Thanks for your suggestion and I'll let you know the results.

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Agree with checking spare parts. Also, have you updated your firmware?

5. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

I have a theory about the 100% thing. My Hero didn't experience it, but my brothers did, and that small update that Sprint released didn't fix it. Anyway, I was playing around with his Hero on Christmas Eve and for whatever reason got it to start sleeping again. Its not like my brother had not tried all the things I had, but the ironic thing is, the only thing we believe that I did differently was that I had downloaded and installed that HTC Battery Widget app available in the Market which was release on the 22nd of December. In fact, most Hero owners with the 100% awake time started posting around that time that their Hero's started sleeping mysteriously. At the time, everyone was wondering if Sprint had pushed a hidden fix or something.

Anyway, let's see if this theory fixes your awake time. Download and install the HTC Battery Widget and see what happens...

[​IMG]

6. zyrzox

Thanks for the suggestions...

Yes, my firmware is up-to-date (I actually check every couple of days hoping there's something available. I wish that manufacturers understood how eager people are to receive firmware updates, and would release something every couple of weeks even if it was just a placebo update).

I downloaded the recommended Battery Widget but it failed to launch. I uninstalled, reinstalled and still no luck...which makes me believe you might be on to something with that suggestion, even though there shouldn't be any correlation between experiencing 100% awake-time and running a battery monitoring application.

I'll keep you guys updated if anything changes, otherwise thanks a bunch for your suggestions and input.

-Z-