• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Spontaneous reboots?

999Vulcan

Dec 1, 2010
Does anyone have their Droid Pro reboot spontaneously?

Mine have done it several times since I got it a few days back, a few of those while playing Angry Birds, which led me to suspect that is is CPU-utilization related.

So, I downloaded StabilityTest from the Market, and sure enough, it fails it in the first few passes. Not sure if it's an indication of true hardware problem, or just an app's incompatibility with the Froyo platform. Could anybody try that app and let me know if their phone passes the stability tests?

I'd hate to make a scene with Verizon based on the app just to find out a replacement is no better.

Another stress test I tried is CPUBenchmark, that one doesn't explicitly fail, but when run in background, eventually locks the phone up and reboots.

Again, not sure, if it's just my phone, or if it would be the same for everyone.

If anyone wants to share their findings, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, guys!

Actually, my Tour is pretty solid, never reboots (but bo-oring, so I've been waiting for Droid to come up in this form factor for years =)

It was the Palms I used before (Treos and Centro) that rebooted all the time (still loved them).

Droid Pro seems to run ok so far, too, more than 24 hrs uptime so far :) with moderate Angry Birds consumption.
I was just concerned about those StabilityTest results, but it looks like that app just doesn't run well on Froyo/Droid Pro.

Can anyone else share their experience with StabilityTest?

Upvote 0
Got my pro yesterday around 2pm. Last night around 10pm, it rebooted twice just sitting on the counter. This morning it's rebooted twice on the counter in the last 10 minutes.

I haven't been touching it and I haven't run any Stability Test app.

As I type this, it just rebooted again.

The only thing I can think of is it was fine all day yesterday until I got home late last night and pulled the hard droid pro case out of the packaging and put it on the phone. Within 2 minutes, it rebooted. I'm going to let it sit here for a few more minutes and then pull the case off and see if there is a difference.

Upvote 0
You right I have the model after the tour and it does spontaneously reboot but it does freeze or have the hour glass or the pad won't move the cursor arouround. It is my work phone. Multiple email accounts are still easier on the blackberry as is deleting etc
I used to say testing too but I have grown to love swype
Phone wars should stop people like phones for different reasons. I have a friend who is addicted to bbm and doesn't want the power of an android. In my humble opinion you can't compare the operating systems but you can compare functionality for daily needs

Upvote 0
Ok, I might have found the culprit. I systematically uninstalled a lot of apps (mainly root related apps that I had on the old droid which was rooted). Nothing until I go to my normal apps. I uninstalled K-9 and then set the phone down. It rebooted about a minute later and I thought it was time to move on to another app. But... after it booted back up, it's been at least 20 minutes and no reboots (I hope I don't jinx myself here).

It kind of makes sense based on the frequency of reboots. I had K-9 set to sync every 5 minutes. My pro was rebooting every 5 minutes.

I'll let it go for a little while and then try to reinstall K-9 and see if the rebooting comes back.

Upvote 0
Yep, tried that, twice. Both time is kept rebooting.

Just went to the Verizon Store and spent over an hour with the tech. First they were convinced I just needed to install Advance Task Killer and sent me on my way. I went and sat in the car and waited. In less than 5 minutes, it rebooted.

Went back in and they called another level of tech support. They reset the phone and skipped the google account sync and let it run without anything on it. While the tech was activating the phone, it rebooted. At that point, they gave me a new phone.

Hopefully this does the trick.

Upvote 0
Yep I'm getting the same results as you guys. Random reboots for doing nothing, sometimes while I'm messing with apps. Has probably rebooted about 30 times and I've only had it about 28 hours. Tried factory reboot multiple times, tried stopping apps, tried not installing facebook, etc. Can't seem to figure out what the problem is. Please share your results from getting a replacement phone.

Upvote 0
You had much more patience than I would have had. After 3 random reboots within a day it would have gone back. Don't settle for a device that doesn't run the way it's supposed to run. Just picked mine up on Saturday and I've had three random reboots in two days. Haven't started looking for a culprit yet, but if it continues today, it's going back for a replacement.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to share that I did in fact get mine replaced and now it works fine and I love it! However beware that Verizon is not really aware of this reboot issue. Techs tried to" update the software" instead. Aka they didn't know what's up. I had to go back twice to get it replaced (although I probably could have been more insistent). Either way it works and its a great phone.

Upvote 0
What is Verizon's most reliable Android phone?

If you take your Pro back don't bother swapping it for a Droid X. I am on my second one and both have rebooted spontaneously tens of times.

This one, which I got yesterday, is totally stock -- hasn't even visited the app store, -- and it's rebooting once or twice an hour running factory desktop apps, e.g. gmail.

Upvote 0
I had the X and loved it. I never had a problem with it. My phone just rebooted again. Thats twice in five hours. I have had a different problem with all three. I am taking this back. Its not going to be the same for every phone. I have had 3 dud phones but there are a ton of Droid Pro's out there running smoothly. The same goes for the X. Everyone I know loves there X so it happens. I have not used the Droid 2 or the Fascinate. But I loved my X, INC, and I love the Pro but have just had too many problems with it. I would say the INC was my favorite, maybe X because of its screen size.

Upvote 0
I don't mean to laugh, but they want to be like a blackberry and blackberry is famous for those spontaneous reboots. I keep a work and personal phone. I never thought I'd prefer something over the blackberry but I love my droid x. I hope you work the kinks out.

Really? I've owned 4 blackberries over 5 years, and never had an issue with reboots. :thinking: My pro has done it once or twice in the 3 weeks of ownership - but I blame it on apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones