• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sporadic/Late Notifications (Gmail, Twitter, Facebook) + Juicedefender + Unrequired running apps

Afternoon chaps,

I know I'm asking three totally different things in one thread, which may seem daft, but they all sort of tie in together, so please bear with me.

Probably up there with the most asked questions on here...but I can't find a solution so here it is again.

I was going to post this in the HTC Desire HD troubleshooting section, but this is probably a wider spread problem than that, so I've posted it here for the time being.

I'll talk about Gmail first - as I understand there should be no issues with this since it's Google! I mean, for goodness sake, my search history syncs between three computers and my phone pretty much instantly...how can it possibly be failing to push these to my phone.
On occasion they arrive on time, but much of the time they're either very late or don't appear at all! I cleared the cache and restarted my phone...they seemed to work fine for the rest of that day.

Onto Twitter - The problem with this is not so great. I do get notified of mentions and direct messages, but it's always 10+ minutes late. It'd be nice if I could receive the notifications quickly when I'm having a back-forward conversation on Twitter.
Also, is there any way it's possible to have it pushed to me when someone follows me? Or when someone retweets me? Currently these are being 'pushed' (-_-) to my Gmail and clogging it up. This is not a big issue though.

And finally, the worst of them all. The elusive world of Facebook. These used to be absolutely useless, and I understand are a bit of a common thorn in the side of Android.
For a while I had them working perfectly. And i mean perfectly, including things like Likes and comments rather than just messages, friend requests and event invites by using the Blackberry trick (sign in on a Blackberry and it enables BB permissions). Now they just work on the odd occasion. No idea what went wrong.

So onto the possible causes...and here's where my other issues sort of tie in....

Juice Defender Ultimate - Random question : Does it actually work and is it worth having?
How it ties into the previous issue : It blocks data when the screen is turned off. Is this ruining my push notifications? However I have it set to allow connections every 5 minutes, so I could understand if they were five minutes late...but not turning up at all confuses me!

Advanced Task Killer - Yes, I use this. However, it's set so that it will never kill Twitter, Facebook, Gmail, FB Messenger, Google Plus, Whatsapp etc.
(N.B - I know some people say task killers make no difference...I've tried with and without and I notice a difference, so have decided to use it)

And now...the slightly unrelated issue (Although its related to ATK) - The Maps app will not kill! It's highlighted green, meaning it can't be killed...Why? I've turned off location of tweets and FB messenger etc. Maps is a known battery draining app, and possibly the reason im getting 6 hrs less battery life than I was a couple of weeks ago.

I appreciate that this is a horrendously long post and many of you will just skim over it or not read it at all. I've tried to simplify it a bit my emboldening each new area.

Any assistance at all is highly appreciated!

Thank you so so much in advance!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones