Sporting a SGH-1337 (AT&T) now; need to root it.

1. sleedeane

sleedeane Well-Known Member

Hey guys - I just went from the Galaxy S2 to the S4 (SGH-1337)(AT&T) and want to root it. I read the stickies but only got more confused.
    Can somebody please explain how to root this one? I had no problem rooting my T-Mobile S2, but the process looks entirely different.
    Thank you very much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Advertisement
    :
  2. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Well-Known Member Contributor

If you are on the newest AT&T MF3 baseband, use this method.
    If you are on the previous baseband, use the Motochopper method.

P.S. To determine baseband, check last three characters in Settings > More > About device.
    sleedeane likes this.
  3. sleedeane

I appreciate your input, but I get so lost reading about a card reader to format my SD card, adb, command to an emulator,... etc.
    Can someone please explain this in layman's terms?

For example, I don't even know what "use a card reader to format micro sd card to exFAT" means. Can anybody please help me?
    Thank you
  4. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Well-Known Member Contributor

The "card reader" being referred to is simply the slot on any modern pc to plug is the SDcard. Some computers will directly interface with the microSD that our phones use; others require a microSD-to-SD adapter. "Format as exFAT" means to format the SD in the computer by opening a CMD window and then typing "format e: /FS:exFAT" (without the quotes). Substitute "e:" with whatever drive letter your computer assigns the SD when plugged in. Type "format /?" for a complete list of all format options.

HTH!
    sleedeane likes this.
  5. sleedeane

Still wanting to root my att s4; I rented a laptop to do this and it's costing me more and more while I get up the courage to root (about a week so far).
    Part of it is because I read somewhere that a recovery doesn't install and the rooting is irreversible and I could get into some real trouble if I do something wrong.

How do I know if I'm supposed to use the "motochopper" method? I guess that's for Motorola phones? How do I know who made this thing?
    And I think if I don't even know this, how am I going to get past the tricky parts?

But I think I have the courage to do this after a lot of reading.

Thank you very much.
  6. sleedeane

Change of heart and mind. The more I read about rooting this thing the more skiddish I get.
    Something about that word "irreversible" scares me.
    I'll wait until there's a recovery for it or a way to unroot it should things go arry.
    But thank you.
    :eek: