• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SPRecovery ?'s

madmike20

Lurker
Aug 1, 2010
right off the bat i apologize if there is already a tread about this somewnere. just signed up today although ive been reading these forums for the last month, while working up the courage to root.

1. when you buy a droid and hold x while powering up does anything special happen? i ask this because i "think" i flashed the sprecovery.i was at 2.1 but the flash said it failed even tho im now at 2.0.1 and get the menu when powering up while holding x.

2. when i try to install the update.zip listed to root my phone, i get an error about signature verification. any ideas?

f.y.i. im not very technical, although this doesnt seem very hard. but id like to learn. if anyone would be willing to correspond back and forth and maybe help walk me through this id appreciate it. ive read the all things rooted guide and honestly, ive still got alot of questions that it doesnt answer. thanks in advance.

I was like a few people here, and was hesitant to root my phone, and didn't decide to do it until after the 2.1 OTA.

Thankfully, it's not only possible, but it's fairly simple. I used Droid-Life's guide, which comes with videos to accompany the instructions, to easily root the phone.

It can be found here: How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

However, you use the .sbf file to actually flash back to 2.0.1 from 2.1, then flash a custom ROM with the newly installed SPRecovery.

So, I guess it needs to be asked, what does it say in the "about phone" under settings as far as to what you're running. If you're on 2.0.1 stock, I'm not familiar with the process; but if you want to update OTA to 2.1 (which I would do soon before 2.2 OTA if you want to ensure you have SU), the process is really simple.

Reactions: madmike20
Upvote 0
ok so i decided to try on my desk top. downloaded and installed everything i need then flashed sbf. it installed and finished this time, but didnt reboot my phone. just went back to bootloader screen. so i unplugged and checked and sprecover is on there. but when i reboot it gets stuck on motorola symbol and stays there..

Upvote 0
ok so i decided to try on my desk top. downloaded and installed everything i need then flashed sbf. it installed and finished this time, but didnt reboot my phone. just went back to bootloader screen. so i unplugged and checked and sprecover is on there. but when i reboot it gets stuck on motorola symbol and stays there..

did you flash the SPR sbf from 2.1 or 2.01? I didnt realize it until this weekend but the SPRecovery sbf file also flashes a kernel. So if you were on 2.0.1 it might not have booted because of the kernel. I forget if 2.1 kernels worked on 2.0.1.

Upvote 0
from 2.0.1. i flashed back to stock 2.0.1 rebooted and my phone is working again. but i cant get ota update for 2.1 im kinda getting the feeling that my phone doesnt want to be rooted. the sad thing is, all of the guides and videos make it seem so easy.well see how the ota 2.2 is :eek:

check this thread for how to force 2.1 back onto your phone. You can then use the SPRecovery sbf to root and you should be fine.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much. Forced the update. It worked fine. I also realized my mistake. I was following videos from the unlockr.com which has you revert to 2.0.1 at the same time as the guide here which doesn't. So in reality I wasted time by reverting. Ill try again flashing spr when I get home from work. Now when I'm rooted and have rom manager, can I can I get froyo from there? And how hard is it to OC? After a massive headache yesterday I don't want to fry my phone. Thanks once again!! Great community here looking forward to being a part of it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones