• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SPRecovery vs. Clockwork ***Poll Added***

Do you use SPRecovery or Clockwork

• SPRecovery

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • Clockwork Recovery

Votes: 102 74.5%

• Total voters
I use SPR, mainly because I don't go nuts making so many changes that (from appearances anyway) the majority of folks here seem to do. Finding the files I want and using the update.zip method works pretty flawlessly for me, so I really haven't had a need to try Clockwork out.

That being said, I believe I'm one of the lucky ones whose Droid has not been problematic (e.g., boot loops, kernels not working, ROM issues, etc).

Like anything else, behaviors are what ultimate dictate the direction of products. If more folks in the community migrate to Clockwork, then the developers will likely focus more on Clockwork than on SPR, simple as that. However, if there isn't significant overhead for the devs to create files for SPR, I don't see why they shouldn't still put out their ROMs in this format.

Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I am just curious but what do you switch back to SPR for. I cant think of anything you can do in SPR that you cant in clockwork other than restore an SPR nandroid.

I'm in the same boat... I like CW because of the options it allows for, but I started with SPR. Recently had to switch back to SPR when the first Froyo leak was made available as it was only available as a SPR nandroid initially.

Upvote 0
I am just curious but what do you switch back to SPR for. I cant think of anything you can do in SPR that you cant in clockwork other than restore an SPR nandroid.

Only reason I switch to SPR anymore is to help someone who is using it

I use SPR for my Roms as I have Never had an issue doing it this way. So I prefer it when it is an option. I also back up with it because once again I have never had an issue restoring my backups with SPR. Just a personal choice really.

CW for everything else.

Options are always welcomed. I never want to be stuck with only one option.

Upvote 0
The OP here sounds a little bitter because his preferred recovery has lost a bit of support. What is the big deal buddy? Nobody is forcing you to use clockwork, and no one really cares why you don't use it.

If you've check your own poll lately you'll be seeing around 3/4 of the people here using clockwork. I'd wager that the other 25% are only using SPR because it came out first. A lot of us here have been rooting since the beginning so we all started with SPR... to see such a migration to a different platform (clockwork), you can pretty much assume that it is superior. And it is. Whoever complained that there should be a "standard" for this stuff should know that clockwork recovery uses the pretty much "standard" nandroid backup that is used across different platforms. It is SPR that has it's own off-shoot nandroid. My belief is that if Clockwork came out first, there wouldn't even be an SPR.

But, when it comes down to it, they are both just recoveries and are very similar anyways. To each his own, and it really is good to see that we have options. If you want convenience, features, and support use clockwork. If you want the old tried and true method use SPR.

My biggest gripe with the OP is his little vendetta against ROM Manager... WTF dude? Since when did Open Source = Free Shit? First of all, Rom Manager is not required to use Clockwork Recovery (Fail). You also don't need to get the donate version to do most of the things Rom Manager is so special for (Fail). In fact, using the free version of Rom Manager, you can flash clockwork recovery, you have access to download the most popular roms ( Cyanogenmod, Bugless Beast, and JRummy's) AND you can flash back to your precious SPRecovery. This program is amazing and no one asked you to cough up your hard earned money ($3.99 not $5). I really find it hard to believe that you donate at all to the devs of this community because if you knew anything about the devs you would know that Koush is probably (one of) the most respected and best dev we have in the DROID community. If you can't support him then you really don't care at all about this "open source community." Hell, I don't even use the premium features of Rom Manager and I still got the premium version.

Rom Manager even make it easier to donate to your favorite devs ;)

I don't like the pricetag on rom manager, and I never will. I support my devs directly and I know for a fact that I am supporting as much as I can, but this is an open source community. Shouldn't pricing (or lack thereof) be treated as such? Not cool. Why did the open source community stray away from non-profit? I'll buy you a beer or two or thirteen if I think you deserve it. I'll be the first one to donate. But forcing payment seems very un-android.

Crucify me if I'm getting things wrong, please. I hope I'm just being dumb and over looking something, but I don't think so. comments?

This^^^ You're just being dumb and overlooking something

Upvote 0
Nobody is forcing you to use clockwork...

When some ROMs first get released, the devs are providing ONLY cw files. Which means, we are being forced to use cw. In other words ... you're wrong. Sorry.

I don't like the pricetag on rom manager, and I never will. I support my devs directly and I know for a fact that I am supporting as much as I can, but this is an open source community. Shouldn't pricing (or lack thereof) be treated as such? Now that everything is clockwork, I can't just use my knowledge to download anything and update.zip that shit into my phone. I need to pay someone 5 bucks to simplify the process? Not cool. Why did the open source community stray away from non-profit? I'll buy you a beer or two or thirteen if I think you deserve it. I'll be the first one to donate. But forcing payment seems very un-android.

Calling someone "dumb" when you obviously didn't read and/or understand the posters comments makes you look a little less than

Upvote 0
When some ROMs first get released, the devs are providing ONLY cw files. Which means, we are being forced to use cw. In other words ... you're wrong. Sorry.

No, I'm not wrong. No one is holding a knife to your throat and making you use CW, Sorry.
LOL wah I have to wait a little bit before I can have things my way.. That's forcing? You can ask the dev to make an SPR version or you can wait for someone else to do it for you.. That's the genius of open-source right?
But really I don't think my comment was about Clockwork vs. SPRecovery. I think we've settled that it's nice to have options.

Calling someone "dumb" when you obviously didn't read and/or understand the posters comments makes you look a little less than

Upvote 0
It would be nice to get at least one dev to chime in here but I believe it all comes down to code.

While spr was first on the scene, in a post or two I've read in the past somewhere it was mentioned that Koush's recovery code is actually more in line to coding standards and that spr (while good..nobody is arguing that) cuts a couple of corners. I don't think the devs much care what we the enthusiast crowd think or want, they build their roms and present them in a way they think best. Maybe the reason things are swaying towards cw lately is because the community devs have/are realizing the same thing...that Koush's code is cleaner.

W/o searching....I wonder if there is an image out there of just the ClockWork recovery that you can flash w/ rsd like you can with the spr file thats out there?

Upvote 0
geez, let's keep it clean, guys. no need for calling people dumb or baiting them just because of the recovery they use. this is crazy!

l3ian did not call him dumb. Did you guys not read the post he was referring to?

Crucify me if I'm getting things wrong, please. I hope I'm just being dumb and over looking something, but I don't think so. comments?

l3rian simply said what yufice was thinking. I think that is why he put this:

Quit blowing things way out of proportion. It would have been one thing for him to just put, "You are an idiot", and leave it at that. But he actually replied with a lengthy post. It just happened to get cut up in the quoting process. About the same way reporters do for quotes.

Upvote 0
Thank you, Stewart! Messenger questions my reading the OP's post but I don't think he actually takes the time to read mine.

If you look at my profile, you'll see I've been here since November and I have less than 40 posts I think. So yes, I am a bit of a lurker, but that should also tell you that I don't just come on to the board spouting crap off to see my own posts. Generally, I won't post unless I think I can actually help, or if something bugs me...

Maybe I shouldn't have said he was being dumb, but I was a little ticked off in my post.. I apologize. I really just can't believe that anyone would hate on Rom Manager for any reason. At all. The program is amazing. The amount of things it can do with one click is incredible. You would think that people who have been using SPR this whole time would appreciate it's simplicity more than the ones just learning to root. However, it seems that people just don't wanna change AND THAT'S FINE. I know that I myself was like that when clockwork/rom manager first came out, but I took the plunge after a few months and never looked back.

Messenger, I have always seen you all over the boards and genuinely think almost all of your posts have been helpful and educational. I really respect your role in this community and you are part of what makes this board GREAT and one of the only boards I come to. However, you seem to be coming to yufice's rescue just because he likes SPR as much as you.. I'm glad there are still SPR advocate's out there, but again my reply was not about the clockwork vs sprecovery argument (although, I believe eristotle is correct and I was trying to make that point earlier).

The OP stated that he should change the title to "why i hate the idea of rom manager premium." This is COMPLETELY RUBBISH. I felt someone should at least set the facts straight because the OP is severely misinformed. I don't want new members to this board browse this post and catch the same bad attitude about Rom Manager and open source communities. Yes, we get a lot of great things for free in this community, but you are in no way ENTITLED to free shit! All devs are working hard for us! (even blackdroid :) ) Rom Manager without Premium is still a stellar utility and will do everything you could ask of it. KOUSH DESERVES TO BE DONATED TO. lol it's as simple as that.

... awaiting your one line zinger;)

l3ian did not call him dumb. Did you guys not read the post he was referring to?

l3rian simply said what yufice was thinking. I think that is why he put this:

Quit blowing things way out of proportion. It would have been one thing for him to just put, "You are an idiot", and leave it at that. But he actually replied with a lengthy post. It just happened to get cut up in the quoting process. About the same way reporters do for quotes.

Upvote 0
Joe its real easy to make a update.zip work with spr you just have to add a couple scripts. I can get you the scripts when I get back to my computer if you are interested

I appreciate the offer, but I have both recovery consoles so I have no need/desire to edit a dev's zip files. It takes me about 20 seconds to toggle from one to the other. That's probably quicker than editing the zip file. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones