• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SPRevcovery didnt block my update??

joshi3joshi

Nov 14, 2009
update: Im actually now using Fabolous' NexBeast 1.0 rom, and i still have the 2.1 update downloading in the system updates..I installed the OTAfix.zip, but im not sure if i should update in case recovery doesnt block it again? WHat should i do?

I've been running an ese53 rom for a while now, and a while back in March, i received the ota update, and since it was killing my battery life, I did the otacerts.zip trick into the security folder and sprecovery successfully blocked the update. For some reason, I got the 2.1 OTA update AGAIN today, and thinking that sprecovery would simply block the update once again, I clicked "install now". when it rebooted into sprecovery, it just installed!!?? It didn't block the update for some reason. Now Im back to stock 2.1, with no root priveleges and everything is force closing, i cant even get to the home screen. Fortunately, I made a nandroid backup, and sprecovery still works (but no root..), so i recovered back to my old backup, and things are working fine. however, the 2.1 update keeps telling me to install, and it keeps giving me the notification. anyone have a way to fix this? i dont know whats going on

There's actually an article about this here: http://www.droid-life.com/2010/05/04/new-android-2-1-updates-locking-down-droids/It's not the original 2.1 update, but actually a new update - read up on it, but I believe if you have sprecovery already installed you should be safe to update, but definitely double check with the article.

I don't believe the OTAfix will necessarily block this thing, unless they have updated it in the past couple days...

Upvote 0
with sp recovery your suppose to accept the update it will restart attempt to install then fail and then the notification will go away

no i understand, i have done this before with the previous ese81 ota update. that time sp recovery blocked it. however this time, when i click install, it ACTUALY installs WITHOUT blocking it, so thats my problem. im not sure why its not blocking it this time

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones