Sprint 4g Sim Card Question/4g Activation

1. NYankee

NYankee Well-Known Member

I know that on VZW you have the sim card for a 4g phone with the sim card being unique to your phone #. And that the card you can take out of one 4g phone and put it into another with VZW.

I am getting the Galaxy Note 2 and doing an alternate upgrade. I read that the sim card is embedded and you cant take it out. Does anybody know how Sprint handles their activations for a 4g device?

Advertisement
  2. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Guide

The activation is no different than any other device on Sprint. What you heard was true.
  3. bearballz

bearballz Well-Known Member

Yup, just like any other Sprint phone, you have to call them or go to one of their stores and they will remotely activate it for you. Some Verizon phones, or GSM carriers like AT&T or T-mobile allow you to simply swap out the sim card and put into into another phone.

Sprint for some reason still embeds the sim like card deep in the device where you cannot get to it without tearing your phone apart. It only takes a couple of minutes for them to activate the phone.

Hoping that will change but probably not anytime soon.
  4. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Sprint doesn't use sim cards, all of the information is contained in nvram. Verizon and all CDMA carriers are the same, the only phones that require a sim card on both Sprint and Verizon are world phones when used outside the USA.
  5. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Guide

The LTE devices have SIM, but they are not accessible.
  6. Joshb101

Joshb101 Well-Known Member

And Verizon and other CDMA carriers do not have the LTE "SIM" card embedded in the phone. Which is why you can make the Verizon S3 into a global phone and not the Sprint.