Sprint 4G unofficial coverage area map

1. Draiko

Draiko Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    drexappeal, gnarlyDUCK and vide infra like this.
  2. vide infra

vide infra Well-Known Member

this is an awesome idea.
  3. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member

I don't understand. This is just a regular google map.

How do you "report" the info?
  4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I just see a map. no option to edit. or am i missing something?
  5. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

I was driving a few weeks ago and wishing there was an app that recorded my GPS position when I hit 4G.

An app where we uploaded results into a map like this would be even better.
  6. Juanakaslim

Juanakaslim Active Member

I forgot the name of the app, but the developers name is SENSORLY if I'm not mistaken
    uniquenameEVO likes this.
  7. apac

apac Member

There is already an app that does this automatically. It's called 'Map Viewer'. Go grab it form the market.
    drexappeal and uniquenameEVO like this.
  8. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

Map viewer looks like it might be just what I want. I'll give it a run.
  9. Draiko

Draiko Well-Known Member

I've already enabled the "anyone can edit map" option, you should be able to make placemarks...
  10. Draiko

Draiko Well-Known Member

I'm going to try "My tracks" out. It's supposed to do exactly what you're describing.
  11. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

nothing. log out of your google account and click on that link. All I get is a map. I can zoom in and out. that's about it.
  12. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

This thread failed to deliver.
  13. rhalf

rhalf Member

The app mentioned above does exactly this, but the data is collected passively from your phone. They've had some issues compiling all of the data they've been receiving over the last few weeks, but reportedly added a server over the weekend to improve the turnaround time.

Definitely recommend installing it. The more users that have it, the better the integrity of the data.
  14. cescvanpersie

cescvanpersie New Member

15. jallp82

jallp82 Well-Known Member

I use sensorly. They just put up a tower in my city Lincoln, NE in the last day or two, I check the clear.com web site almost daily and just today they show so here. Just about to head out with my brother and let it run get some data.
  16. TheBlackAngel

TheBlackAngel Active Member

was just checking the map myself, looking for coverage in des moines, ia and i notice a little blob of green in the NE part of IA, freaking oelwein, ia shows 4g coverage now, that town is even smaller then davenport which has it, WHERE IS MY CENTRAL IA!?!?!?!?!?! :(
  17. jallp82

jallp82 Well-Known Member

Yeah I was very suprise to see some here in Lincoln and Omaha/Council Bluffs. Really looks liek they are just trowing up towers were they can intsead of full City lauches.
  18. TheBlackAngel

i just went through polk city, ia on my way home from work and there were people there adding stuff to the water tower (which has the cell stuff on it) and so i stopped by and one of the workers was having a smoke break so i asked him if he was with clear and was installing wimax, he said no they were with verizon :mad: but thats also weird cause verizons announcements for LTE markets in 2011 only included iowa city and davenport in IA.....
  19. TheBlackAngel

here is a pic i took of what they added, not sure if anyone can tell if they are LTE or WiMax antennas from a picture or not.... its the part on the "leg" of the water tower.

Attached Files:

20. TheBlackAngel

and there is finally a tower up in des moines! doesn't cover very much of the metro area but its there at least!
  21. mikeiniowa

mikeiniowa New Member

I have sprint 4g service by the wal mart in windsor heights. but I lose it a mile to the north. I called sprint to see why I even have coverage and they had no clue at all. I can assume they are building the network. Hope this means des moines will have 4g this fall
  22. TheBlackAngel

don't get your hopes up. do some reading around the forums and you will see that clear (who provides sprints 4g) is putting up "spectrum protection" sites all around the country. This is so they can have the minimum number of markets "covered" to meet the FCC mandate so they don't lose the spectrum. There are two towers like this currently in des moines and have been there for about 3 months now. One is off of douglas across from the walgreens by the beaver area. the other one is by 235 where sams and walmart are. you can check for coverage areas on CLEAR | 4G WiMAX Internet Coverage Map with Service Area. even though for whatever reason the 2 des moines towers don't show up on it. We won't get a build out until sprint either announces new markets or network vision rolls out.