Sprint added on an extra $36 fee on my second bill AFTER 30-day window.. suggestions?

Last Updated:

1. leegseegs

leegseegs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry if this is a little off-topic but I figure since we all have Evos some of you may have some experience dealing with Sprint CS.

So I got two evos on a family plan. Radio Shack charged me one $36 activation fee. I tried unsuccessfully to get that fee removed, I talked to two supervisors, online chat, and the radio shack manager. Told them about my long wait, etc, how I came over from tmob and paid an ETF. They all adamantly refused, despite that others appeared to achieve success on this forum. So I gave up, it was $36, oh well.

Now, on my second bill, issued AFTER my 30 day window expired, they added on a second activation fee for my second line. Me thinks this is a little shady. I only agreed to one activation fee when I signed the contract at RS.

I've tried calling in two two different reps + their supervisors and they claim their "hands are tied" and have no authority to remove it. Spent a couple hours total on the phone arguing with them, unfortunately I no longer have the "threaten to cancel" move up my sleeve since my 30 day window is up. Does anyone have any other suggestions? A little frustrated right now. $76 is a decent chunk of change.

Advertisement
  2. neoshi

neoshi Well-Known Member

I thought activation was only $18?

Oh wait now I see two Evos

Reading > Me

3. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Ok, you just need to keep calling.
    How to Dispute Your Cell Phone Bill - wikiHow

Follow the above link.

If that does not work, take the bill into the a sprint store and talk to the manager, face to face.

Remember to bring in last months bill and be really nice.

4. varunb007

varunb007 Member

i saw that same charge yesterday. i went on the online chat, said i was never informed nor agreed to this charge, and that i was supposed to get free activation. the rep immediately issued me a $40 credit.

i think the key is to say you had no knowledge of and didn't agree to these charges. it undermines the mutual assent required for a valid contract.

ps: 36*2 = 72

leegseegs likes this.
  5. Kevin C

Kevin C Well-Known Member

I have never had a problem getting issues resolved - usually use online chat or email - I hate talking to CS on the phone.

6. pitbullcrazyinky

pitbullcrazyinky Member

Tell sprint that you and everyone on your account will rate them a 1 every time you get the phone survey. Sprint pulls so hard for a 5 it must mean something big to them. That's how I got my FREE Airave from them.

7. J03

J03 Well-Known Member

Why did radio shack charge you a fee in the first place? Best buy didn't charge me anything to activate the phone. They simply informed me that i might see the fee on my bill and to talk to sprint directly as they had nothing to do with billing.

8. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

^
    same here, got the EVO at BB and there was no activation fee.

My GF got her EVO at TheShack and there was no activation fee, either.

9. Roadblock

Roadblock Well-Known Member

I had exactly the opposite experience.

First off, I WAS billed an activation on my bill. Sprint credited me for the activation fee WITHOUT me even asking though. I just happened to notice there was a $18 dollar activation fee then a negative $18 dollar credit under that on my bill.

*Roadblock* Shrugs.

They screwed up my account so bad that last months bill was -$70.60 and this months bill is -$30.xx... Yes I mean negative.

Generally I would say being a Spring Premier Customer doesn't mean dick but um, hey I guess it worked out for me this time around.

10. Kelita

Kelita Well-Known Member

I got that activation fee too, first time in 4 or so years. I was kind of surprised as I had never been charged one and no one told me to expect it on my first bill. So when I got my bill, I called CS and she removed it with no problems.

11. nahpungnome

nahpungnome Well-Known Member

I got 2 lines with EVOs and I thought it was a single $36 activation fee. My first bill had that activation fee, then my 2nd bill had the same activation fee. I called and asked what was up and they said it's $36 per line and they usually add the 2nd activation fee on the 2nd month... Sprint may be the cheapest per month... after like 3 months :)

12. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

And hence the eternal question....wait for the $100 rebate or fight with Sprint about the activation fee? Not to mention having to take the phone back to BB or the Shack if anything goes wrong with it...blah...I will wait for the mail in rebate.

13. Jonhern

Jonhern Well-Known Member

$18 is the upgrade fee for existing customers. I got it credited back without asking as well, although i would have asked since i got a mailer a few days after i bought it saying the upgrade fee was waived for premier members, the clerk at the sprint store said i would be charged but i was not.

14. leegseegs

Lately, online chat has been "offline" whenever I try to access it. I get this message "If you have reached this message, it's either after business hours or our chat team is temporarily unavailable. " Been getting that at all hours for the past week, even during their supposed normal hours of operation. When did you log on to it? Thanks.

15. leegseegs

Radioshack didn't charge me the fee, sprint did. RS told me at time of activation that they would likely be charging me one activation fee, that If I wanted to get it waived, I had to talk to Sprint. When I call Sprint, they say they have no authority to waive a fee, and that if I want the fee waived, I have to talk to the Radioshack manager. Pretty lame.

16. leegseegs

Thanks. I've generally tried all those methods. I 'll have to go check out the Sprint store as well

17. neoshi

neoshi Well-Known Member

Here you go:
    Sprint Chat

tonyrome357 and leegseegs like this.
  18. leegseegs

Thanks for the help. I went to online chat and used this line, and I got both of the charges refunded. It was harder to get the first one off, but I eventually got them both.

Thanks!

19. rangergrrl

rangergrrl Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience with my 2nd bill since the EVOlution. First bill I was billed activation charges althrough they were supposed to be waived. CS happily took them off. I just got the 2nd bill and there is another activation charge on there for the 3rd which everyone I have spoken to refused to remove. They tell me to go back to BB and have them remove the charge...now correct me if I'm wrong but Sprint charged the activation fee to my bill...not BB as the BB contract says $0 activation fee.

20. tonyrome357

tonyrome357 New Member

Just went to this link and chatted with a Sprint rep who removed the $18 "Upgrade Fee" with no hassles, thanks for the info neoshi

21. 81_

81_ Banned

I called them up last night to get the activation removed. Ha. First person couldn't do anything said he would get fired. Askrd for his supervisor. Same story, evenwhen i said i might switch to verizon. Asked for his supervisor, but they had left. They are suppose to call back today.

22. stainlessray

stainlessray Well-Known Member

New customers get the fee, one time. if you got it a second time, might be because you changed plans or something after the fact. keep calling. like others said, tell them over and over you never agreed to 2 fees.

23. ChrisPlague

ChrisPlague Well-Known Member

that is because its 30 percent of their check...