• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint added on an extra $36 fee on my second bill AFTER 30-day window.. suggestions?

leegseegs

Jun 7, 2010
Sorry if this is a little off-topic but I figure since we all have Evos some of you may have some experience dealing with Sprint CS.

So I got two evos on a family plan. Radio Shack charged me one $36 activation fee. I tried unsuccessfully to get that fee removed, I talked to two supervisors, online chat, and the radio shack manager. Told them about my long wait, etc, how I came over from tmob and paid an ETF. They all adamantly refused, despite that others appeared to achieve success on this forum. So I gave up, it was $36, oh well.

Now, on my second bill, issued AFTER my 30 day window expired, they added on a second activation fee for my second line. Me thinks this is a little shady. I only agreed to one activation fee when I signed the contract at RS.

I've tried calling in two two different reps + their supervisors and they claim their "hands are tied" and have no authority to remove it. Spent a couple hours total on the phone arguing with them, unfortunately I no longer have the "threaten to cancel" move up my sleeve since my 30 day window is up. Does anyone have any other suggestions? A little frustrated right now. $76 is a decent chunk of change.

i saw that same charge yesterday. i went on the online chat, said i was never informed nor agreed to this charge, and that i was supposed to get free activation. the rep immediately issued me a $40 credit.

i think the key is to say you had no knowledge of and didn't agree to these charges. it undermines the mutual assent required for a valid contract.

ps: 36*2 = 72

Reactions: leegseegs
Upvote 0
I had exactly the opposite experience.

First off, I WAS billed an activation on my bill. Sprint credited me for the activation fee WITHOUT me even asking though. I just happened to notice there was a $18 dollar activation fee then a negative $18 dollar credit under that on my bill.

*Roadblock* Shrugs.

They screwed up my account so bad that last months bill was -$70.60 and this months bill is -$30.xx... Yes I mean negative.

Generally I would say being a Spring Premier Customer doesn't mean dick but um, hey I guess it worked out for me this time around.

Upvote 0
I thought activation was only $18?

Oh wait now I see two Evos

Reading > Me

$18 is the upgrade fee for existing customers. I got it credited back without asking as well, although i would have asked since i got a mailer a few days after i bought it saying the upgrade fee was waived for premier members, the clerk at the sprint store said i would be charged but i was not.

Upvote 0
i saw that same charge yesterday. i went on the online chat, said i was never informed nor agreed to this charge, and that i was supposed to get free activation. the rep immediately issued me a $40 credit.

i think the key is to say you had no knowledge of and didn't agree to these charges. it undermines the mutual assent required for a valid contract.

Lately, online chat has been "offline" whenever I try to access it. I get this message "If you have reached this message, it's either after business hours or our chat team is temporarily unavailable. " Been getting that at all hours for the past week, even during their supposed normal hours of operation. When did you log on to it? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Why did radio shack charge you a fee in the first place? Best buy didn't charge me anything to activate the phone. They simply informed me that i might see the fee on my bill and to talk to sprint directly as they had nothing to do with billing.

Radioshack didn't charge me the fee, sprint did. RS told me at time of activation that they would likely be charging me one activation fee, that If I wanted to get it waived, I had to talk to Sprint. When I call Sprint, they say they have no authority to waive a fee, and that if I want the fee waived, I have to talk to the Radioshack manager. Pretty lame.

Upvote 0
Ok, you just need to keep calling.
How to Dispute Your Cell Phone Bill - wikiHow

Follow the above link.

If that does not work, take the bill into the a sprint store and talk to the manager, face to face.

Remember to bring in last months bill and be really nice.

Thanks. I've generally tried all those methods. I 'll have to go check out the Sprint store as well

Upvote 0
Lately, online chat has been "offline" whenever I try to access it. I get this message "If you have reached this message, it's either after business hours or our chat team is temporarily unavailable. " Been getting that at all hours for the past week, even during their supposed normal hours of operation. When did you log on to it? Thanks.

Here you go:
Sprint Chat

Upvote 0

Thanks for the help. I went to online chat and used this line, and I got both of the charges refunded. It was harder to get the first one off, but I eventually got them both.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I had a similar experience with my 2nd bill since the EVOlution. First bill I was billed activation charges althrough they were supposed to be waived. CS happily took them off. I just got the 2nd bill and there is another activation charge on there for the 3rd which everyone I have spoken to refused to remove. They tell me to go back to BB and have them remove the charge...now correct me if I'm wrong but Sprint charged the activation fee to my bill...not BB as the BB contract says $0 activation fee.

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is a little off-topic but I figure since we all have Evos some of you may have some experience dealing with Sprint CS.

So I got two evos on a family plan. Radio Shack charged me one $36 activation fee. I tried unsuccessfully to get that fee removed, I talked to two supervisors, online chat, and the radio shack manager. Told them about my long wait, etc, how I came over from tmob and paid an ETF. They all adamantly refused, despite that others appeared to achieve success on this forum. So I gave up, it was $36, oh well.

Now, on my second bill, issued AFTER my 30 day window expired, they added on a second activation fee for my second line. Me thinks this is a little shady. I only agreed to one activation fee when I signed the contract at RS.

I've tried calling in two two different reps + their supervisors and they claim their "hands are tied" and have no authority to remove it. Spent a couple hours total on the phone arguing with them, unfortunately I no longer have the "threaten to cancel" move up my sleeve since my 30 day window is up. Does anyone have any other suggestions? A little frustrated right now. $76 is a decent chunk of change.

New customers get the fee, one time. if you got it a second time, might be because you changed plans or something after the fact. keep calling. like others said, tell them over and over you never agreed to 2 fees.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones