Sprint Admin advises future 2.1 updates coming...

Last Updated:

1. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Check it out Hero by HTC:HTC HERO 2.2.

Since October is only a month away, and if these so called 'updates' might be coming, it apparently has taken HTC & Sprint a year to get this little device all ironed out. At least it could help the decision to keep the Hero until the next non-4g Android phone comes along since 4g will probably never come to the towers in my area.

Advertisement
  2. Hero_Guy

Hero_Guy Well-Known Member

idk.... knowing sprint it would take a loooooong time IF they do decide to do an update and that guy who said that the hero struggled with the 2.2 hacked is complete bullshit becuase im running it right now with no problems whatsoever and its not even complete. if i were you dude dont get your hopes up and just root like the rest of us and you can check out froyo for yourself. rooting allows so much more customization and then you can truly make your phone unique and all those problems 2.1 had are virtually eliminated without sprints help.

3. sleepyEDB

sleepyEDB Well-Known Member

This.

sleepy

4. Firehawk

Firehawk Well-Known Member

what is significant about October?

5. bushming

bushming Member

One year since the Hero was released.

6. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

Halloween. Duh.

7. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

So, more updates for the Sprint HTC Hero by October? I thought they were phasing out our handset soon. I guess that does not mean that cannot still put out updates, but it makes it seem a lot less likely though. I can wait a month and see. ;)

I plan on rooting eventually, to get Android 2.2, regardless of what Sprint or HTC puts out in the way of an update to our handsets. Especially if Android 3.0 has an awesome reworked UI, not that I dislike the current UI, mind you. :)

8. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

I thought the phasing out thing was happening too, and then I saw the Hero actually get a price HIKE. It was 80 online 100 in stores with new contract. I got mine for 80, when I went back in the store a month later it was 150. I was like "Say whaaa?"

9. Papoise

Papoise Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmm.

10. Firehawk

I really hope they fix the annoying little things like put back the option to turn off the trackball like 1.5 had and the option to turn of vibration on the dialer...oh and to be able to turn off the stupid vibration when making a call.

11. LBPHeretic

As much as I want to wait for this update, I might just end up rooting my Sprint HTC Hero and doing all the neat stuff everyone else is doing. My friend recently rooted his and loves it. ;)

I am supposed to hang out with him tomorrow, so seeing his setup and talking with him about it may push me over the edge. We shall see. :)

12. johnny124

johnny124 Well-Known Member

Can we still root of we did the 6/4 update?

13. LBPHeretic

I am pretty sure you can. I actually did not apply that update though.

From what I can tell there is a way to directly root your handset even if that update has been applied but I am not 100% sure how that is done. The other method would be to reinstall the original 2.1 update and then root your handset.

14. Firehawk

I thinkn you have to re-flash 2.1 first because you cant root on top of the OTA update

15. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member

go to the xda forum and search for "universal once-click root". It works with the .6 (6/4) OTA update. I did it last week on my hero

Gaspowered and johnny124 like this.
  16. Brandito

Brandito Well-Known Member

if this is true maybe i won't have to go ahead with getting sprint to send me a new hero once a month till i can get a better phone.

so far i'm on hero #2 still slow and sluggish so looks like it's time to make a trip to the sprint store :D

sprint doesn't want to work with me so i'm going to work sprint for once.

17. Jyro275

Jyro275 Well-Known Member

You should ROOT your Hero. I was hesitant to do it last month, but it's not hard at all :) and it's really slick. Will take you an hour at most understand and execute the process before you're up and running. The best part about it: you don't have to wait 15 seconds before you can actually dial a call lol.

I put together a guide here, but there's always XDA or CyanogenMod forums if you wanna hit those up.

18. Brandito

Brandito Well-Known Member

i'm sure you're right, no doubt you are, but the core problem i have is i shouldn't have to root my phone to get basic functionality and smooth operation. other android phones accomplish this fine, the hero should too or sprint should stop selling it until it does.

even the guy at the sprint store suggested i root my phone and i told him thats NOT a fix they should be offering their customers.

i'm sure i could root my phone fairly painlessly, has to be easier than getter ddwrt on my router (what a pain that is) but i'd rather sprint foot the bill for shilling a phone with bad software.

19. LBPHeretic

I messed around with my friend's rooted Sprint HTC Hero today. I am still on the fence as to whether or not I want to root mine right now.

I think it is because I am grappling with all the research I want to do to fully understand what needs to be done in regards to rooting and what I am getting into when and if I decide to root. I probably will end up rooting eventually, but right now I need to keep researching it and seeing if it is the right thing for my needs.

20. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Keep in mind that rooting only gives you access to the files on the phone, like admin access on a computer. One BIG benefit is the ability to make a complete backup of your phone...called a Nandroid backup. Rooting in of itself does not fix anything. After rooting you can delete the Sprint "Bloatware" which some find makes a big difference in the way the phone feels. After that, if you want, you can flash a custm rom.

Lots of help here when youneed it. :)

21. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member

ask away on here. Everyone on here has been super helpful. I finally rooted last week and cant believe i was on the fence for so long. it took me less than a day of asking questions to get CM6 (froyo 2.2) up and running.

22. Firehawk

is that with sense?

23. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

No, it does not have Sense.

24. MadBrown

MadBrown Well-Known Member

It is also when I am eligible for an upgrade, and will try rooting my Hero. If that doesn't improve its performance, EVO 4G here I come.

25. JD_from_da_80s

JD_from_da_80s Well-Known Member

I actually like that feature. That way I don't have to hold the phone to my ear for 60 seconds waiting for the call to connect. :D