• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Airave (Post #1 has a quick "FAQ" for help)

i found out indirectly on a thread on another forum that had nothing to do about the airvana shipping just this saturday. i called and placed an order and now its at my doorstep.

when the first gen airave was released it was back-ordered. i got my order in i think 3 days AFTER it was showing as shipping and it took close to a business day week to get to me so this may be possible. the internets can spread information quick!

So any one who is getting an airave now getting the whole 7-10 business day eta? I wonder if they are that back ordered or if I should place another call inquiring on the status etc.

Upvote 0
Has anyone else had problems with their airave interfering with their gps on their EVO. Mine throws mine off bad. When I am at home it goes crazy and tells me Im in some town 200 miles east of me. When I shut off my femtocell it goes back to normal and displays my accurate position. Is anyone else aware of this. Or am I crazy?

Upvote 0
Has anyone else had problems with their airave interfering with their gps on their EVO. Mine throws mine off bad. When I am at home it goes crazy and tells me Im in some town 200 miles east of me. When I shut off my femtocell it goes back to normal and displays my accurate position. Is anyone else aware of this. Or am I crazy?

The location function of the phone uses both towers and GPS ... normally GPS takes a while to lock onto the satellites, so when you first turn on a location aware app it will use the tower location as a starting point until it gets a more accurate lock. If you are indoors, you may not be getting a good GPS lock so the location may be relying on the tower more than the GPS radio.

Now, the Airave has the GPS built in and should know exactly where it is, but I am not sure how it reports location to the phone compared to a real tower. If I load up Antennas, it shows my location and tower both in my house, however a note at the bottom of the app says "can not determine location for active cell site". (not sure if that means anything or not.) However, if I run GPS Status I am picking up a lot of GPS satellites, so I can't be sure what it is really telling me since the phone's GPS radio has a good lock anyway.

Also just in case, if you aren't using the external GPS antenna with the Airave, try hooking it up and see if that makes a difference. I know during setup if it doesn't get a GPS lock it won't finish, but I'm not sure what happens if it gets a lock and turns on, then loses it after that.

Upvote 0
i never had any issues with GPS on my first gen airave.only until i read about it on a couple forums is when i saw there was an issue. GPS always had me accurate.

ive got the Airvana model however have not had time to set it up. lets hope the GPS issues dont creep up on me..

as soon as i ordered the new one, they deactivated the old one i have. there is no return kit so it seems i will just keep it. on the account page, the old airave is no longer there--just the newer airvana. also it used to say $4.99 and then would show the "-$4.99" but now it just shows $0.00 and wording that says basically this is free for the customer..

Upvote 0
I have horrendous service in my house and so does my wife's BlackBerry and we both work from home very often so cell coverage is a must. Her old flip phone and my Touch Pro had a few coverage issues, but there is virtually no coverage over the last 2 months or so.

So I called customer care and told them this and the rep immediately said "Airave" and go to on Sprint.com and check it out. She then said that "Customer Service" (or something along those lines) could give it to me for free but it was normally $99 and that they do it on a case by case basis.

I then called 877-775-4886 as directed by the first rep in Customer Care and have an Airave "new version" coming to me in 3-5 business days. He said it is the "new version" the "Airave 2" and that this does provide high speed data in the 5,000 square foot area. They gave me the device for free and the service charge was free, but he wouldn't budge on the "$19 taxes and upgrade fee" since he is "already crediting my account for the device and the service." I didn't even ask for it for free and just told him that I was told to ask about an Airave by Customer Care. He did some checking to see if it was available in my area and it was so he sent one out.

I'll report back when I get it. I must admit, the last couple of times I've called Sprint I have been extremely impressed. They've made some major changes for the better, which is a definite must because they were terrible before. Glad I stuck with them because of their low prices and good call quality.

Upvote 0
Non taken. Yes, wifi is on and I'm 5 feet from the Airave. A bit slower now - other phones are using it.

Speedtest.jpg

Upvote 0
Ok. Turned off wi-fi and got 1129/854 and the 3G symbol does show up. Thanks for the info.

LOL.

FWIW, I bought an Airave from a store a few months back & mine works great. Plus, I just called Sprint the month the payment was due, connected to the "disconnect" dept, & got them to waive all the fees associated w/it. Now I found out about the 3G one, so I called this weekend, transferred to the disconnect department, & complained that I'm paying for services that I'm still not able to get in my house & I saw that there was a new box out that would give me those services. I spoke to a lady first who claimed she had no idea about a new Airave, but then I was connected to a supervisor who got me one out in the mail Monday. Should be here this week & all I have to do is send the old one back.

They also bumped my phone upgrade up 3 months so that I can upgrade any day now. I just told her that my Hero sucks & I need something that doesn't freeze every time I try to make a call. Now, if only the Evo wasn't outdated already.

Upvote 0
Is this only for premier customers? I'm only getting 1-3[3 if I'm lucky] bars at my house and most of the time it's at 1 or 2 bars. I've been with sprint for 4 weeks now.

Should be for anybody, I got mine after being a customer for just over a month for my first line, and was about 3 weeks in for 2 additional lines.

Reactions: daddyd302
Upvote 0
Should be for anybody, I got mine after being a customer for just over a month for my first line, and was about 3 weeks in for 2 additional lines.

Thanks, I called sprint and told them about the situation. My first 2 calls I lost my signal. I had to go outside to make my third call. The call took about 10 minutes and the csr had to put me on hold to talk to her supervisor and explain my situation.

I told them, I dropped Verizon for Sprint and my Droid had no issues making calls in the house. I also stated, I have no issues going outside during the summer time but I'm not going outside during the winter. It's freaking cold here in Milwaukee, WI.

She double checked my info and said it would be 3-5 business days before I get it. She also said I was not gonna be charged for anything, no monthly fees. I guess I'll find out next week if I get it or not.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I called sprint and told them about the situation. My first 2 calls I lost my signal. I had to go outside to make my third call. The call took about 10 minutes and the csr had to put me on hold to talk to her supervisor and explain my situation.

I told them, I dropped Verizon for Sprint and my Droid had no issues making calls in the house. I also stated, I have no issues going outside during the summer time but I'm not going outside during the winter. It's freaking cold here in Milwaukee, WI.

She double checked my info and said it would be 3-5 business days before I get it. She also said I was not gonna be charged for anything, no monthly fees. I guess I'll find out next week if I get it or not.

Congrats! It definitely makes a big difference once the Airave is installed, I haven't heard a single complaint from my wife about dropped calls since getting it running! (Which is good, because it was my idea to switch to Sprint:D)

Upvote 0
hey guys, how do i get a free airave?

i'm still in my 30 day trial, and i found out that i get NO sprint service at my house. i'm supposed to get sprint service, but i only get verizon. to make matters worse, my phone keeps searching for sprint service while on verizon so my battery drains insanely unless i keep the phone plugged in at my house, and i also tend to miss calls because the phone doesn't ring while wandering between roaming and not roaming.

i don't have customer loyalty behind me, but i want to switch from at&t (my current provider) to sprint. what should i say to Customer Service to get an airave? I already told the guy that i get no service at my house and so can't keep the phone, and he told me to go back to the Sprint store to return it! lol. he didn't even mention an airave.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones