Sprint and Google Voice

1. turdminer

turdminer New Member

Hello everyone, and thanks for looking. I just got my first smart phone, a Galaxy S2 Epic 4g Touch from Sprint. So far, I love the phone, and everyone is amazed by the screen. I have searched through the forums and counldn't find anything about the problem I am having with Google Voice.

What I want to do with Google Voice is to have a fake phone number to be able to call people with. Right now, my Google voice number is the same as my Sprint Cell phone number. Instead, I would like to be able to call people with a different number that is not my cell phone number. If I log into my GMAIL account I can see the settings to add my home phone number or work number, but not to create a new number.

How do I create a new number in Google Voice to call people from, that is not my Sprint cell phone number?

Thank you,
    Turdminer

Advertisement
  2. la sal

la sal Well-Known Member

3. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

Log onto your Google account from a PC then go to the Google Voice website. From there, you'll see a cog on the top right corner - hit that and go to settings. You'll then see something that says deactivate voicemail, which will then detach your Sprint acct and Google Voice account and a number will automatically be generated. After that occurs, you'll click activate again then you'll see a number appear that you have to dial from your phone - usually starts with a *. Dial it, if it auto hangs up.. it's a good sign
  4. turdminer

turdminer New Member

Thank you NYCHitman1, I will try that tonight when I get home.
  5. la sal

la sal Well-Known Member

After a couple of attempts, I was able to rid myself of Google Voice and get my Sprint voicemail back.
    marctronixx and NYCHitman1 like this.
  6. NYCHitman1

Grats! I personally like GV better than Sprint VVM, but that's mostly because I can't have it without going through some loopholes on AOSP.
    la sal likes this.
  7. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

if you simply uncheck the integrate with google voice box in the settings on your google voice page, it will release control of your phone and allow you to use your phone number separate from GV. takes a few seconds to happen.
    la sal and DonB like this.
  8. la sal

la sal Well-Known Member

I couldn't figure out how to get my text messages to stop coming into my Google Voice inbox. No need to have extra copies since they are already in my GO SMS Pro app.
  9. NYCHitman1

From what I understand, you can't change that.