Sprint android convert, and I need a few answers

Last Updated:

1. demmalition1

demmalition1 Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

On Engadget today H.P. announced that they aren't releasing new webos phones until January (CES), and I will be picking up a new android phone after university today. Before I jump ship to new horizons, I would like to know a few things about Android first:

-which phone (Epic or Evo) has the better u.i.? Mainly, which can multitask better in terms of switching between the internet, texting, and games more fluidly?

-does one have a longer battery life than the other?

-What are some "must have" apps that I need to get right away (pref. free )?

-Any problems that I should look out for in general?

Thanks in advance, I am looking forward to using my new phone soon! Also, I was going to put this in "introductions", but a sticky said not to ask questions there.

-demmalition1
    new recruit in the droid army

Advertisement
  2. demmalition1

Bump

Did I post in the right forum?

3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Thats up to you to decide, I like the Evo's better.

As far as mutlitasking they are both the same.

I would think the Epic would last a bit longer, due to a smaller screen. But a properly configured Evo will last at least a day for most users. I get 3 days out of mine, but I'm rooted and use setcpu.

Do a search on here, there are tons of threads about "must have apps".

The Evo has had a lot of built quality issues, while the Epic has gps issues.

4. demmalition1

Thanks Sitlet, anyone else here have the Epic (or, both) for comparison.

I will probably be getting the phone over the weekend, as there is a bit of an issue with the "premier customer" status right now that needs to be worked out.

5. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

I have both phones, and while I love both, if I had to get only one, it would be the Evo.

It's thinner, and the slightly bigger screen is great for consuming web content, it has Froyo (2.2) already, and a much better GPS.

6. demmalition1

Evo-2
    Epic-0

I'll let this simmer overnight to see if anything else should pop up.

7. AndroidSPCS

You're not going to regret either one, so it's a hard decision. I got the Epic first, and then the Evo a week later. I've had enough time with both now so I appreciate both a lot. I find I don't use the qwerty keyboard as much since I have Swype, and the Evo I have Slide IT and Shapewriter keyboards.

Coming from a Samsung Moment with a qwerty that I used all the time, I find it shocking that I can so easily deal without a physical keyboard.

8. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

You could always get one then exchange it if you're unhappy. The Evo's screen is plenty big so not having a physical keyboard really isn't a con in my opinion. The kickstand is very handy and overall it's a very good phone. The Epic is also a great phone, and the screen definitely is much more bright and vibrant, just a bit smaller. If you're going to stick with the stock UI I much prefer HTC Sense over Touchwiz, however the Epic has better video and music players, IMO. I'm guessing you're giving up the Pre to jump ship? It's gonna be a bit of a difference, especially at first. I really still haven't seen any multitasking that comes close to webOS' cards. I'm practically salivating at the release of webOS 2.0, lol. Good luck with whatever you choose. :)

9. demmalition1

Thanks, Ashykat. I've had the upgrade since June 1st, but I gave them 5 months to at least ANNOUNCE something. All I have is the recent FCC filing that shows the same size phone and battery... :( "Phones" means nothing if I don't know what you have in the pipeline. Hopefully the Evo 2 won't disappoint as much (if they're going to make one).

I am leaning toward the Evo right now, but the Epic's keyboard is about the only appealing thing it has. On that note, how do the virtual keyboards (swype, slide-IT/shapewriter) differ?

10. AndroidSPCS

Swype is not publicly available, but it's very accurate, but lacks the voice button.

Shapewriter is similar to Swype, but it seems to require more accurate swipes, or you'll get mis-spelling.

Slide-It is like Swype, just as accurate, and has the voice button. They all work well, but on the Evo, Swype is not available so I use Slide-it. I probably would still use Slide-it even if Swype was available.

11. demmalition1

This will (most likely) be my final night using my Pre as a phone (keeping it to upgrade apps over wifi for the Palmpad), so I have one final set of questions:

I've been looking around the net and have read many good things about something called "launcher pro" and how it is better than Sense and Touchwiz.

-Is it available on both the Evo and the Epic, or just the Epic like one forum post said?

-If it is just on the Epic, is it worth skipping over the Evo if launcher pro isn't on it? I heard Touchwiz isn't as good as Sense in enhancing the user experience if I dislike the pro for some reason.

Finally:
    -This may be a bit out of the ballpark, as I'm sure there isn't enough info this early in the game, but will both phones be upgrading to 3.0?

Thank you all for all of your replies in helping me pick the right phone. :)

12. AndroidSPCS

Launcher Pro is available for all Android phones. You can try it and remove it if you don't like it after using it.

I'm pretty sure both phones will get 3.0, since they are state of the art phones and will continue to be for a while. But you never know with these things.

13. demmalition1

Evo it is then, thanks for that conformation AndroidSPCS

14. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member