• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint asks customers which mobile platform it should focus on

Valid statement. However, with Sprint's precarious financial situation and relatively low market share, I'm not sure they can afford to keep risking money on WebOS.

They won't have to risk much for future WebOS. WebOS needs carriers more than the carriers need their phones so Sprint and others won't have to invest much, if anything, into future WebOS products.

I'm sure HP understood that when they absorbed them, but I think the absorption was more about getting an OS that was already developed than to try to create another one or be at the continuous mercy of Google or MSFT operating systems.

If HP was smart, they'd really make WebOS more about an unparralled PDA/PIM + smartphone product. I still don't think there is a truly outstanding phone that does that. I'm also not convinced the best solution will ever come from a third-party app.

Upvote 0
Maybe maybe not.. Android is a force for sure, but if Webos puts out a a few nice devices it has a chance. Just like Verizon put Android on the map, Sprint could do the same thing for HP if they step their game up

WebOS might be good, but it's also had so many hiccups that it's not likely to ever become a true, major player - at least not any time soon. If MSFT hadn't put WP7 into play, there may have been a better opportunity.

Also, it's about the apps. WebOS just doesn't have the app size or development community needed to overwhelm itself back into buyer's minds.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones