[Sprint] Broken USB port

Last Updated:

1. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

Darn, phone doesn't charge with cable any more. Tried several cables. PC doesn't recognize either.

Advertisement
  2. frenchy714

frenchy714 Well-Known Member

Does it charge when you use a wall charger?
  3. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

No. Tried multiple wall chargers too. Bugs me too that I'll probably get a refurb when I bought this new unsubsidized on ebay.
  4. frenchy714

frenchy714 Well-Known Member

Yeah, best case scenario would be if you can get the usb port replaced.
  5. AARONONE

AARONONE Well-Known Member

Have you tried the NFC fix? Does it charge while the phone is off?
  6. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

Well it works now. Rebooted twice and it fixed itself without doing the NFC fix. Weird.
  7. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Well-Known Member

Mine is crapping out too as of yesterday
  8. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

That's too bad. I love this phone but the build quality is poor. My son's USB port broke too.
  9. MizzouBrent

It was weird because it just happened all of a sudden with no signs of being flaky
  10. MizzouBrent

Update: Got mine replaced. A couple things.

1) The Gnex's port is separateable from the motherboard, so they were able to replace it (quickly) in the store for the $35 fee. So that's good.

2) They claimed my issues, which were not charging, always showing as charging, or cutting out intermittently as charging, were caused by corrosion on the connection, which was apparently from water damage. This is weird because I never got any water on any of my connectors at any point.

So anyway I seem to be back up and running on JB goodness. Now I just need a wifi connection and my laptop to really get some work done.
    slyd likes this.
  11. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

Glad you got yours repaired with minimal cost and effort. So far mine is okay again but good to know there's a fix without getting a refurb.
  12. NaterTots

NaterTots Well-Known Member

Good to know that it isn't to tough to replace the USB connector.

Hope your's is alright Slyd.
  13. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

Mine's still good (fingers crossed).
  14. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

Mizzou, did you unroot yours when you brought it in? This morning when I plugged my phone in the USB port actually burnt, you can see its black and it smells burnt. The charging cable is also melted some. I need to bring it in but can't think of a way to unroot if I can't plug it in. Also I have the TEP insurance.
  15. MizzouBrent

I specifically asked if they service rooted phones and she told me yes. It was completely a hardware issue so they should be able to swap out the charging port for the $35 fee. I suppose you could try insurance but I'd probably just pay the $35. It's a super quick fix.

I had re-activated my Evo and it took them longer to get the Gnex reactivated than it did to switch out the charging port.

My gnex was unrooted when I took it in because I figured it would have to be returned to Samsung. When they were trying to get it reactivated, the girl told me it seems like it was acting like a rooted device. She also told me her gnex was rooted.
    frenchy714 likes this.
  16. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

Okay good because there is no way to unroot it without being able to use USB as far as I know.

EDIT: anyone know where the moister stickers are on the Gnex so I can check for water damage? I don't remember it ever getting wet though.