• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Changing their Upgrade Policy on 4/1/11

So if I renewed my contract by upgrading to the Evo Shift with the 69.99 plan before 4/1/11 would I be eligible for a full upgrade a year from now under the current premier program since the changes weren't in effect yet?

Thats how things typically work, but I'm not sure if the Sprint Premier early upgrades are part of the actuall contract. Rather, just a perk for being a Sprint customer. Would be interested in finding out myself. That being said, I this is ONLY a rumor.

Upvote 0
Thats how things typically work, but I'm not sure if the Sprint Premier early upgrades are part of the actuall contract. Rather, just a perk for being a Sprint customer. Would be interested in finding out myself. That being said, I this is ONLY a rumor.

Ok I was just checking. I don't upgrade yearly so it wouldn't be a big deal for me but I love having the option too. I'm still not making any decisions until I get some specs on the upcoming phones.

Upvote 0
So if I renewed my contract by upgrading to the Evo Shift with the 69.99 plan before 4/1/11 would I be eligible for a full upgrade a year from now under the current premier program since the changes weren't in effect yet?

Nah, It is just a perk not part of the contract. Unfortuantely they can and have changed it and no grandfathering in.

You will lose the perk. :mad:

Upvote 0
And trying to squeeze people for another 75 bucks a year versus a better chance at locking then in for another full is hardly the way to do that.

Where are you going to go? Sprint still has the best prices, so in the long run you're still saving money.

Only other option is to go prepay and you're still paying full price for a crappy phone, but at least you get a smaller monthly bill.

Upvote 0
75% confirmed
SprintUsers.com - View Single Post - Premier Upgrade Changes 04/01/11

I called Sprint Executive services today...who confirmed the changes. I opened a ticket to have my account changed to the correct start date - I was a Sprint employee in 2001 and they have my account starting in 2007.

Now with April being a ways off maybe some restrictions could change. I would like the 10 year reduced down to 5 years personally.

I post this not to get Sprint users mad but to be informed as they have choices of changes coming the future. If I was out of contract and on the fence to going to Verizon maybe this information impacts my decisions

Personally I am staying with Sprint...not happy with the proposed changes but if my acct is corrected it wont affect me anyway...I have been with SPRINT 10 YEARS ..

Reactions: knightprincess13
Upvote 0
75% confirmed
SprintUsers.com - View Single Post - Premier Upgrade Changes 04/01/11

I called Sprint Executive services today...who confirmed the changes. I opened a ticket to have my account changed to the correct start date - I was a Sprint employee in 2001 and they have my account starting in 2007.

Now with April being a ways off maybe some restrictions could change. I would like the 10 year reduced down to 5 years personally.

I post this not to get Sprint users mad but to be informed as they have choices of changes coming the future. If I was out of contract and on the fence to going to Verizon maybe this information impacts my decisions.

Personally I am staying with Sprint...not happy with the proposed changes but if my acct is corrected it wont affect me anyway...I have been with SPRINT 10 YEARS ..

Where do you find out when your account was "opened" or not?

10 years to 5 years.. yeah for sure. In this market 5 Years is a long time to stay with anything. (Sadly, even a spouse it seems!)

And to the guy who doesn't know what goog voice is, if you combine goog voice with the my friends and family unlimited calling, you end up with unlimited calling, period.

https://www.google.com/voice

That being said, if Sprint does this, and doesn't allow me to upgrade, I will not hesitate to jump ship.

Upvote 0
I know what google voice is...good grief. The point was the plan with VZ is not less than the Sprint plan gvoice or no gvoice.

If you leave then that's your choice, who cares. Sprint has to make money or there wont be a Sprint for people to talk trash about.

And MY point is, I can get the same service, as of RIGHT NOW, cheaper on VERIZON, with BETTER COVERAGE. So what's the incentive to stay with Sprint?

Upvote 0
Bottomline for Sprint and all carriers - more people are using smartphones regularly than any other mobile communication, productivity, and entertainment devices. That means more opportunities for profit. In Sprint's case, it's do the $10 surcharge which is exempt from discounts.

Sprint is still the value provider, and they didn't lose any ground now that other carriers have tiered data. It's possible to get "cheaper" on other carriers, but not cheaper given exact same plan features. I've heard people from other carriers say they like the service and coverage better than Sprint, but I've never heard or seen much boasting about getting great value and low prices from other carriers (except TMo).

As to the upgrade policy changes that all carriers are instituting now, I'm not surprised. Actually, I hope it turns into a situation where phone makers then stop making so many barely-different versions of phones. That will leave carriers competing on service, cost, and coverage far less dependent on having the one or two phones that someone really wants.

I don't care about the upgrade policy, but Sprint should be awfully careful about trying to imitate ATT & VZW. Those two are much more able to "impose" penalties and withstand churn. Another prolonged period of churn is precisely what Sprint's getting out of.

I also think these lack of upgrade plans will strongly make buyers consider buying phones at full price. So often the carriers have said subsidizing is the reason for the contracts. Let's see how they react to people saying they'd rather take the full-price hit upfront and prefer to go without a contract or with one less than the two year standard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones