Sprint Considers Capping Data

Last Updated:

1. bdforte69

bdforte69 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

From our friends over at engadget.com....
    Sprint CEO hints unlimited data could end if usage gets crazy

"So far, Sprint's been steadfast in its commitment to keeping caps off its data plans -- a big selling point since AT&T's moved to tiered pricing and Verizon has threatened to do the same -- but the laws of supply and demand sadly still exist, and Sprint CEO Dan Hesse knows it."

CLICK HERE FOR MORE

If this happens, how many of you would stay with Sprint? Also, can we get our 10 bucks a month back or will we still owe Sprint a "Premium" data fee.

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

They'd have to honor our current contract or allow us to opt out of our contract.

Likely they'd just change it when we signed a new one though.

3. militaryman

militaryman Member

if sprint continues to narrow the value gap between the other carriers I will be sad to have to pay more for the same services that could be found elsewhere but happy because I will have nothing holding me from switching carriers and trying the other guys out.

4. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

All we can do is speculate, really. The answer to this question will completely depend on where the cap is set.

-SF

5. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

There is a non inforced cap on 3g I think its 5gb and its unlimited on 4g, so this should not impact us.

6. Android XTC

Android XTC Banned

Yep, thats exactly what I was thinking also.

7. plainbrad

plainbrad Well-Known Member

I switched to Sprint to avoid data throttling. I data cap came I would run away as fast as possible. Throttling is better than a cap but both are ugly.

8. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

If you're in a contract that offers unlimited data, they can't, you're grandfathered in.

9. Flaspeneer

Flaspeneer Well-Known Member

Now there's a reason to hold onto your Sprint contract and not move to Verizon.

I've got a friend who bought an iPad right before AT&T imposed their data plan increase. She's not going anywhere for as long as that iPad lasts.

10. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

If pricing between sprint and verizon closes but sprint coverage lags behind, then why should I stay with sprint?

11. FreakyLocz14

FreakyLocz14 Banned

Customers who are on AT&T's old $30/mo. Unlimited smartphone data plan are allowed to stay on that plan. Only new customers are forced into the tiered data plans. This is because AT&T is bound to not change plans on them by contractual obligations and by federal and state laws without their consent.

The 5 GB 3G data cap on Sprint only applies to mobile broadband cards and USB sticks, it does not apply to phones at this point in time.

12. ragnarokx

ragnarokx Well-Known Member

If Verizon has better coverage in your area then maybe you should consider them. Sprint is superb where I live.

13. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

exactly. i'm on sprint because it's cheaper and i can live with the so-so coverage. if sprint raises their pricing, or limit their plans bringing it closer to verizon, then of course i'll leave sprint for verizon. it's obvious.