Sprint coverage; Roaming + Data?

Last Updated:

1. Amaroth

Amaroth Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm on verizon right now and get good coverage out where I live. I live out in the backwoods kind of in Shingle Springs, CA. I want to switch to sprint for the EVO 4G however the Sprint coverage map shows that, although Shingle Springs does get coverage, my exact street only gets Roaming. I'm just wondering if this is going to be a problem. Can you use data on roaming and does it cost any additional money?

This is what I am trying to figure out so I can decide on getting the EVO 4G or just staying with Verizon and buying the Incredible...
    thanks for reading :)

Advertisement
  2. chcougar1

chcougar1 Well-Known Member

I would also like to know this. I am also on Verizon and don't really have much roaming going on.

I know Sprint uses verizon towers for some of its roaming coverage....can we use data while roaming and is it limited to 1X?

3. mogulust

mogulust Well-Known Member

My phone stays on roaming only when I'm at home, always on a Verizon tower. Data works, but only at 1x speeds. Also, I'm 99.9% sure that all current sprint plans have free roaming included.

4. Bales

Bales Well-Known Member

If it's anything like my Pre, some apps won't work without EVDO.

5. droidtime

droidtime Well-Known Member

I believe that at least half of your minutes have to be on Sprint's native coverage, otherwise they will cancel your line.

"Sprint may terminate service if (1) more than 800 minutes, (2) a majority of minutes or (3) a majority of data kilobytes in a given month are used while roaming."

6. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Get the evo, try it out. Then after a day or two, call customer service, tell them you're cancelling your account because you don't have sprint coverage on your area. I read somewhere in this forum that if you have internet connection, they might just give you an AirRave so that you can have cellphone signal in your home through your broadband connection.

7. benvino

benvino New Member

Talk to sprint they might give you a "Airwave" to connect to your home ISP to make calls and use data for free. You get free roaming as long as you don't go over half of your mins in roaming.

8. avengence

avengence Well-Known Member

They said something about 300mb on roaming data.

Also you dont get free mobile to mobile calling while roaming. Its kind of poopy.

I liver over in woodland and actually get coverage since sacramento is so close. But my parents live in placerville (greenstone) and it says they are in roaming there but I was getting "EV" signal while I was there with my work phone and my wifes pixi.

Not sure what it would say for roaming?

9. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

I thought it was that you were limited to 300mb per month while roaming?

10. mcapozzi

mcapozzi Well-Known Member

Well, if your street only has roaming, you'll get a 1x data connection. If you have high speed internet access, just set your phone up for wi-fi or call Sprint and they'll send you an Airave.

This is why I cancelled with Sprint, I spent 90min a day in Roaming while constantly trying to stream Pandora. I cannot stand the radio stations here.

-Mike

http://shop.sprint.com/assets/pdfs/en/services/sprint_airave_faqs.pdf

11. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

This issue will be a biggie for people moving from Verizon, but if from Att or Tmo they will not notice, due to current relative data converage. In other words, for ex Verizon folks, it will be, "Don't know what you got, till it's gone". Nearly everyone else will probably see an overall improvement and be happy with better data- even 1x.

12. mcapozzi

mcapozzi Well-Known Member