• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint/Cricket] How to prevent OTA updated for rooted S3

TambourineMan

Dec 11, 2009
I just got a Sprint S# and rooted it and applied the GalaxyS3root.com file that does the OTA LG8 update but preserves root. So my S3 is still stock.

There will be other updates coming (Jelly Bean anyone?)

How do I prevent them from installing until I know they are OK for a rooted phone or until I can unroot if the update will allow me to root after it is applied?

Will an OTA update for a rooted phone just automatically fail?

I know for my Thunderbolt I renamed some files so OTA updates can't run. My EVO 4G has CM7 so updates don't run.

I think I read they're starting to push out jelly Bean which is great as long as it does not mess up my root. If it does, I may want to wait to allow it.

the question is how to prevent it. I think Sprint is better than Verizon as they at least allow you to defer it, but declining it each time will be a PITA. Verizon on another phone only allowed a certain number of deferrals, and then it was take it or else.

I am more familiar with HTC devices which are locked. Maybe this is not a problem for Samsung. Apparently LG8 does not prevent rerooting, but who knows what carriers will force them to do without notice to customers.

Upvote 0
yeah, im FAR more familiar with HTC devices too, that being said, ive rescued a couple "bricked" original galaxys for friends. I recall one such unfortunate that the vzw store told the guy that it was a paperweight and i had it back up to full running in less than 10 min thanks to odin and its respective forum on this site :D

Upvote 0
I just got a Sprint S# and rooted it and applied the GalaxyS3root.com file that does the OTA LG8 update but preserves root. So my S3 is still stock.

There will be other updates coming (Jelly Bean anyone?)

How do I prevent them from installing until I know they are OK for a rooted phone or until I can unroot if the update will allow me to root after it is applied?

Will an OTA update for a rooted phone just automatically fail?

I know for my Thunderbolt I renamed some files so OTA updates can't run. My EVO 4G has CM7 so updates don't run.

AFAIK, your device should not automatically install the OTA (up to LG8) unless you give it permission to do so. On a majority of SGS3 ROMs, developers have disabled the ability for the device to even connect to the Sprint OTA server, thus eliminating the issue you are currently experiencing. As to your original question - you could always try to modify that file name, but be sure to create a backup of the original elsewhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones