• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint employees don't know anything...and it's OKAY.

Othan1

Android Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2010
San Diego
Do we really have nothing in our lives so pressing as an update to one of dozens of phones Sprint carries? Everyone's bills are paid, lots of money in the bank, plenty of liquid cash and no debt? Really?

Look, I want this 2.1 update as badly as anyone else, but come on...Sprint employees are knowledgeable about Sprint services and that's about it. Stop throwing expectations on them that really don't apply. They're doing their jobs selling sprint with the basic surface knowledge of dozens of phones. The moment isn't even their main phone.

So just take some time and hug your kids, call your parents, sniff flowers, whatever. There are more important things to get huffy about than a 2.1 update.

As you younger folk say, "Chillax, man."

Reactions: IOWA and i VTAK
I'm with this guy. Sure, I would love to have the update but my life doesn't revolve around it. I got my moment for one dollar off of ebay in November and this is the best phone I've ever had, even without the update. I don't expect Sprint employees to know anything, they only make like 10 bucks an hour, if they're lucky, and I'm pretty sure they hate their jobs just like everyone else that has to deal with customers nagging on regular basis.

Upvote 0
I would agree however most peoples complaint is they sold a phone with an OS that isnt compatible on theyre cdma service. Thats why most people are impatiently waiting for the update, so our phones work properly.

If the OS wasn't compatible with CDMA then it wouldn't work at all. They modified it to make it compatible. I'm sure some of the issues are due to the patched OS, but I doubt all of them are. My Moment has been far more reliable than the last 2 phones I owned. I have an occasional data lockup (up arrow stuck) but have never experienced the "airplane mode". I've had the phone since the week after it came out.

Upvote 0
If the OS wasn't compatible with CDMA then it wouldn't work at all. They modified it to make it compatible. I'm sure some of the issues are due to the patched OS, but I doubt all of them are. My Moment has been far more reliable than the last 2 phones I owned. I have an occasional data lockup (up arrow stuck) but have never experienced the "airplane mode". I've had the phone since the week after it came out.

Im pretty sure you knew what I meant. Just because your not experiencing the issues dozens of others are doesnt mean they dont exist. That would be pretty foolish.

Accepting that the OS is a % compatible after being modified is like saying you'd be ok if your car ran on 4 of its 6 cylinders because after all its still running. The fact is its outdated, and not 100% compatible. I agree that the rumors of dates and complaining need to stop but there is a legit reason to be unhappy with 1.5.

Upvote 0
So 2.1 is going to fix all the problems people have with 1.5? Just like windows vista made everything so much better compared to windows xp? Not saying there aren't things that need to be fixed but an update isn't always a good thing. As far as being outdated I'm pretty sure there are more 1.5 devices out than 2.0 or 2.1. I've lost count of how many problems I've seen people complain about that turned out to be due to an app that was installed.

Upvote 0
Actually, as I sit here and type this out on my current refurb Moment, waiting for my Hero, I can say that it's not at all due to apps we install. Though I'm sure some apps can screw with it, this refurb has 0 installed apps, neither from the Market or otherwise. I still got 3 radio lock ups today, and it's my first day with it. There is defintely something else than apps causing this crap, it's the phone.

Upvote 0
Do we really have nothing in our lives so pressing as an update to one of dozens of phones Sprint carries? Everyone's bills are paid, lots of money in the bank, plenty of liquid cash and no debt? Really?

Look, I want this 2.1 update as badly as anyone else, but come on...Sprint employees are knowledgeable about Sprint services and that's about it. Stop throwing expectations on them that really don't apply. They're doing their jobs selling sprint with the basic surface knowledge of dozens of phones. The moment isn't even their main phone.

So just take some time and hug your kids, call your parents, sniff flowers, whatever. There are more important things to get huffy about than a 2.1 update.

As you younger folk say, "Chillax, man."

I can't say I can agree with much of this statement. Knowing about the phones is their job. They don't know about the phones. Therefore, they aren't doing their jobs. It's a problem that applies to America as a whole, not just Sprint. When I was a kid, you could ask the older guy at Home Depot any question and they'd know what's up. These days, you ask the guy at Home Depot for help and they point you to a how-to book, an aisle, tell you they dont know, or worse, they will give you bad info because they don't want to look stupid.

The general lack of skilled laborers in the workplace is appalling, but I think its almost worse that people like you tell people like me to 'chill out and relax' when we get upset that folks in a position of knowledge and authority have no idea what they're talking about. I shouldn't have to be my own expert on every product I buy and every service I use.

But since I'm stuck having to deal with brain-numb puppets on a daily basis, I am quite thankful for the internet's ability to keep me wise(r).

Upvote 0
Actually, as I sit here and type this out on my current refurb Moment, waiting for my Hero, I can say that it's not at all due to apps we install. Though I'm sure some apps can screw with it, this refurb has 0 installed apps, neither from the Market or otherwise. I still got 3 radio lock ups today, and it's my first day with it. There is defintely something else than apps causing this crap, it's the phone.

The "airplane mode" problem, data lockups, etc still occur in the leaked version of 2.1. So obviouisly there is more to it than an OS issue since 2.1 supports CDMA natively now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones