Sprint/EVO Upgrade question

Last Updated:

1. MissDevonLove

MissDevonLove New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all........
    I tried looking through the threads to see if I could get an answer before starting a new one, but didn't find anything!

Would love any input.....

I currently have 2 lines with Sprint, and my (main) line was eligible for an upgrade in June, so I went from the BB Curve to the Bold.

A little bit later, the EVO came out, but I wasn't interested until I actually got to play around with it a little bit, and now I'm DYING to get one!

The SECOND line on my account (which belongs to my mother) is actually eligible for an upgrade now, but she doesn't want a new phone. Kinda a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask anyway..........

Would it be possible to "upgrade" using her line because she's eligible, but when the phone actually arrives, call and have it connected to MY line???

Thanks in advance for any info you guys may have!

Advertisement
  2. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe you can upgrade and switch compatible phones fairly easily. You can get the EVO on your mother's line, and then call in to switch ESN to your line. As long as the ESNs are clean (as in not stolen or associated with delinquent account), you're good to go.

3. wodin

wodin Well-Known Member

I think there might be issues with the $10/Mo EVO 4G/unlimited data coverage with the EVO. You could end up paying for the extra coverage for BOTH lines. Best check with Sprint to see how to circumvent this issue.

4. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

Didn't think about that.

There will be that extra charge on the line with the EVO. I believe it is detected automatically by ESN, an assigned accordingly.

5. GoofyGirl

GoofyGirl Well-Known Member

I've done this very thing with three different Evo's - NO worries. Once you activate the Evo on your line the $10 charge will automatically be on only that line. :)

6. aburgthing

aburgthing Well-Known Member

A great option for you if you have not ordered online yet is to go into your local Radio Shack. If you have an upgrade eligibility anywhere on your account, they are able to apply that upgrade to any line you want. That applies to full and partial upgrades. Just let them know which line is eligible and they will swap them out. I just did this twice in three months, swapped my wife's eligible full upgrade for my Evo and when the Epic came out used my partial upgrade to buy her Epic. The only caveat is if it is only a partial upgrade, then you do not get the $100 rebate. But if it is a full upgrade not only do you get the rebate, but you get it instantly, no waiting for it to arrive in the mail. The people that work there are pretty knowledgeable too and there usually isn't much of a line to wait in.