Sprint found a way around the Evo $10 premium charge not being discounted

Last Updated:

1. thomasanderson

thomasanderson Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

:mad:Dont know if this is restricted to this forum now that the Epic has the charge too, but to anyone wanting to get out of your Sprint contract nows the time. Apparently Sprint has made some changes to contracts once again.

I used to get my main plan discounted(25% corporate discount) on my bill, and then every subsequent charge afterwards would receive a discount.(i.e. 25% off the $19.99 add a line, 25% off $5 Sprint Family locator, 25% off the $29.99 PAM etc) which is why myself and several others called Sprint and complained that the Evo $10 premium and $29.99 hotspot should also be discounted. Sprint said that these charges would not be discounted because of some mumbo jumbo reason. This prompted several of my coworkers to investigate if this was legal.

Well I got my bill today and the only thing discounted was my main line the $129.99 plan. I called Sprint and asked what happened to the rest of my discounts, and I was told that Sprint modified their terms and now "Nothing under 29.99 would receive corporate discounts at all". This is garbage. I have loved Sprint for the past 10 years, but the nickel and diming they are doing now is really starting to rub me the wrong way. Since Ive had the Evo my bill has increased by $40 bucks to date. Im really getting antsy about switching to Verizon now.

Advertisement
  2. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

I agree, they are tricksters.

3. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

It's still much cheaper than Verizon and would you still be getting that discount if you switch? I don't see much of a point to this since we roam on Verizon anyway...

4. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Yup... I save quite a bit with Sprint vs. anyone else. And I'm more than happy with the network. OP: When you leave... Hope you enjoy data caps!

5. pokerjv

pokerjv Active Member

Unreal, i'm seeing the same thing. I switched over all of my families SERO accts to a family plan and now i'm getting screwed for it. Every month I have to call in to get my promised credits now i'm getting screwed over another $10 a month. Ughh, i'm steaming right now!

6. Charlie Hustle

Charlie Hustle Well-Known Member

Is it really that serious? Its still the cheaper plan compared to other carriers. Also you didnt have to buy the evo and you were told when you signed the contract that you will be paying extra.
    Im paying for 3 lines, unlimited everything family plan and it only cost me $180 including insurance. thats a steal to me.

7. s_special

s_special Well-Known Member

so do i still get my 23% discount off my $69 bill? just double checking what op was talking about...

8. pokerjv

pokerjv Active Member

its more the principle of this whole bait and switch matter. We were promised a certain price and now its changing. When does it end?

9. bzxzlg

bzxzlg Member

Thomas, What's your bill cycle? Mine completed on 24 AUG and this bill still shows the various discounts (even $1,25 against a $4.99 charge) ...

10. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Yes, the OP is only talking about add-on services.

s_special likes this.
  11. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

I remember hearing about this months ago. Welcome to the real world where contract terms can be altered at any time. The bright side is that if this qualifies as a material change in the contract terms, you are able to opt out of your plan without paying etf and keep the phone.

12. thomasanderson

My billing cycle ends on the 4th. Last month I had all of my discounts. It wasn't until today when my online bill posted for this month that I noticed the difference and called.

13. sitlet

sitlet Banned

They changed this about a year ago I believe. I was on an old plan, and had to pay separate for internet and texting. I would get my 20% corporate discount on my phone calls, and the internet and text sub-charge. All of a sudden I wasnt, so thats when they told me the discounts would only apply to the main charge. So I just switched to the ED plan and now i get more discounted.

14. bzxzlg

bzxzlg Member

Did some poking around ... For whatever reason, this hasn't impacted my bill ... but I'll add in a YET there ... This notice (below) first appeared on my JULY bill and the AUG bill has the same notice - with REMINDER ... Guess this is the downside to electronic billing and auto payment since we're outside the 30-days ... Like most, I'm with Sprint because of the discount AND the unbelievable low price to start with - no way AT&T and Verizon could compete ... Now I wonder if we could use the argument that because Sprint REQUIRES the $10 data fee we should get the $2.50 discount ... It may be an add-on, but Sprint requires it .... Thoughts?

Discount Policy Change Notice​
    Effective 8/1/10, employee/member discounts
    will no longer apply to add-on services with a
    monthly recurring charge of $29.99 or less.
    Examples include, but are not limited to,
    Messaging Add-Ons, Data Packs, and Data​
    Premier.

15. thomasanderson

My sentiment exactly!

16. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

All providers are tricksters, not just Sprint. All of you knew very well what you were getting yourself into when you signed that initial 2-yr contract. Don't act like suddenly it's all come as a surprise. If you don't like it then go pay the ETFs and switch to another provider which you will be paying extra on any other US carrier.

17. J03

J03 Well-Known Member

Sucks that they are pulling these tricks for a few extra dollars but the other carriers are giving sprint a lot of room for mark-ups. When you get frustrated and try to switch you will quickly learn that the other carriers are more expensive and have data caps. The big slap to the face is if you want to save money you have to just bend over and take it. No amount of "principle" is going to convince me to spend more money for the same service.

18. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I don't know about that.. I mean with Verizons new Unlimited data prepaid package + Things like Google voice.... this is a bad move IMO.

Verizon officially announces prepaid smartphone data packages -- Engadget

19. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Verizon also is beginning to cripple their phones with Bing crap... every carrier is doing something that we're not going to like.

End of day Sprint is still by far the cheapest and most full featured.

20. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Good luck getting 25% off on Verizon.

21. greensummits

greensummits New Member

I have been a sprint customer for 9 years. I decided I would try Verizon and purchased the Droid X. coverage was a little better but not good enough for the extra price. I switched back and I am now waiting on an evo to come in. :) I will have to pay the $10 extra but I will still be paying $32 less than verizon. Sprint $82 vs Verizon $114

22. pgus13

pgus13 Well-Known Member

My bill hasn't gone up much at all (maybe $10).

23. AH1z

AH1z Well-Known Member

If I didn't like the evo so much I would have dumped the whole ****ing thing back in their lap before my 30 days. A few things you should expect from Sprint. :rolleyes:

1. The price tag in the store says $199.99. They don't tell you its $299.99 with a $100.00 mail in rebate until you go to sign up and check out.

2. You're rebate takes for ****ing EVER to get back, yet the bill comes way by super sonic jet... I like giving Sprint a $100.00 interest free loan.

3. As the OP stated Sprint will nickel and dime you to death. The cost of the service is 69.99 advertised on their main web site, but expect it to be pushing $100.00 / month when the bill comes in the mail. My main bill with NO extras is $92.00 / month. :eek:

4. Expect the sales rep to make promises they can't keep, and or leave out things you might not want to here. Then when you call Sprint up to ask them what these charges are for, or why you're not getting what you were told no one knows what the **** you're talking about, and will argue until you're wore out.

24. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Root + Rom.

25. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

How is any other carrier any different?? :confused: