• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Galaxy Note 3 Issues

Did you ever find out what the update fixed; if anything?

Haven't gotten a chance to test the calling.

-EDIT- Okay, took my first call on the phone (post update). It seemed like it might have helped the call issue, but it wasn't long enough a conversation for me to say for sure.

-UPDATE- Apparently the update was to improve the call quality, as well as the handwriting recognition (strange because that's the first I've heard of any issues with that. Mine has been great)
http://androidforums.com/6223633-post12.html

Upvote 0
Haven't gotten a chance to test the calling.

-EDIT- Okay, took my first call on the phone (post update). It seemed like it might have helped the call issue, but it wasn't long enough a conversation for me to say for sure.

-UPDATE- Apparently the update was to improve the call quality, as well as the handwriting recognition (strange because that's the first I've heard of any issues with that. Mine has been great)
http://androidforums.com/6223633-post12.html

Almost immediately after I asked this I saw on the Pulse app what the update was supposed to do.

Upvote 0
I have been on several calls since my last update and turned on the hd voice settings. No more popping. Definitely improved the calls, as my experience proved to have better call quality than my past phones. Good on sprint to fix the issues and so happy it was a software issue not hardware

That's great. At least now I know the voice issue is resolved. I'm just curious for those that own a sprint Note 3 does it bother you that this phone is not tri-band? and is tri-band necessary?

Upvote 0
That's great. At least now I know the voice issue is resolved. I'm just curious for those that own a sprint Note 3 does it bother you that this phone is not tri-band? and is tri-band necessary?

For me personally, it wasn't a big deal. There was a big stink about it, but my feeling is that, Sprint's NV (Network Vision) deployment has been extremely slow, so I don't foresee the tri-band even being available until the Note 4 is available (if that soon). There's no guarantee that I'll be updating to the Note 4, as it'll depend on what direction Samsung goes next, but by the time I do decide on my next upgrade, I'm anticipating most phones made are tri-band.

I kinda laughed at all the complaining, since most people that actually do post on the forums upgrade every 2 years anyway. For what the Note 3 offers now, especially since not even the 2nd LTE band is ready for primetime, my feeling is that, it's not a big deal at all.

Upvote 0
It's great that Sprint was quick to fix it. My cousin was about to return his, then they issued the update and it's nice and clear now.

Although I'm on T-Mobile & AT&T with the two in our family, both of which have excellent call quality, two of my friends are on Verizon and those phones are horrible.

Considering how headstrong Verizon can be, sadly I'm not surprised. Nor am I being critical, it's how they've been for years. For those on that network I sure wish they'd fix it.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, so I'm planning to upgrade to the Note 3 on Black Friday (fingers crossed for a sale on it somewhere :rolleyes: ).

Now I've been reading through Reddit and other forums and there seems to be an issue regarding a popping/statiky sound while talking to someone on the phone. It seems to be a Sprint related issue since I haven't seen someone on another carrier have an issue with that.

So my question is if that's the only major bug on the phone.

Thanks!

This was discussed in another thread also, but Sprint issued a software update that definitely fixed the issue. I don't take many calls, but the phone went from the worst call quality to the best of all the smartphones I have owned.

That said, I am hearing rumblings of Verizon owners experiencing something similar more recently, but definitely not as abundant as sprint was prior to the software update.

Reactions: amarie82
Upvote 0

First, my LTE reception with the Note 3 has been exceptional. After living with a lousy WiMax capable Motorola Photon for 2 years, the Note 3 reception/performance is a revelation.

That being said, as far as I know,nobody has used a Sprint tri-band phone.

It may be fantastic, it may not.

I'm happy with the Note 3.

Reactions: amarie82
Upvote 0
Menu>Settings>DeviceTab>Call>Personalize Call Sound (turn off)

Sorry to bring up this old post, but this is the only other reference to Sprint's HD voice I can find, other than a new ROM thread on XDA.

I am on the newest stock NC5 ROM and don't see anything about HD voice in the settings you listed, but I didn't have them on MJ4 or NAB either. In my Personalize call sound I have Adapt sound, Soft sound, Clear sound, and Off.

On the XDA ROM there is an actual setting in Phone>Call settings>HD voice settings>Use HD voice, like this:

na4a2a9u.jpg

ny9azydu.jpg

u9a7usyq.jpg

What am I missing that I don't see any HD voice settings on my phone?

Upvote 0
Sorry to bring up this old post, but this is the only other reference to Sprint's HD voice I can find, other than a new ROM thread on XDA.

I am on the newest stock NC5 ROM and don't see anything about HD voice in the settings you listed, but I didn't have them on MJ4 or NAB either. In my Personalize call sound I have Adapt sound, Soft sound, Clear sound, and Off.

On the XDA ROM there is an actual setting in Phone>Call settings>HD voice settings>Use HD voice, like this:

na4a2a9u.jpg

ny9azydu.jpg

u9a7usyq.jpg

What am I missing that I don't see any HD voice settings on my phone?

No worries, Jim. Just to be sure, your signature says you're on the Note 2 still, but had you upgraded to the Note 3 already? Just wanted to be sure.

On mine it's "Personalize Call Sound"...it doesn't really referenced HD voice, but in experimenting with it, it's definitely connected to HD voice. I'm running OEM ROM w/ Nova Launcher Prime and am not rooted, but that's the setting that gave me much better call clarity.

Here's the issue I've found though. Just discovered it yesterday. Someone had pointed out having extremely soft bluetooth sound. What I found out is, when I switch off my bluetooth headset, for just using the phone earpiece, the sound drops off significantly (as compared to how it sounds on my bt headset). I went to verify that the phone call volume was maxed out and it was, but there's something in the process of switching back and forth from bluetooth that causes the earpiece to go quite, on the actual phone. That includes the actual speakers on the phone. I'm going to continue experimenting, but it's the first time I've experienced something like this.

Upvote 0
No worries, Jim. Just to be sure, your signature says you're on the Note 2 still, but had you upgraded to the Note 3 already? Just wanted to be sure.

On mine it's "Personalize Call Sound"...it doesn't really referenced HD voice, but in experimenting with it, it's definitely connected to HD voice.

Thanks, I updated my profile. I have mine set to "Clear sound" but I can't tell if it's HD or not. On the XDA ROM they are seeing "HD" on the phone icon when they make an HD voice call. I don't see that, do you? How can you tell that you are connected to HD voice?

Upvote 0
Thanks, I updated my profile. I have mine set to "Clear sound" but I can't tell if it's HD or not. On the XDA ROM they are seeing "HD" on the phone icon when they make an HD voice call. I don't see that, do you? How can you tell that you are connected to HD voice?

Nah, I don't see it. I was told by a Sprint tech rep that the settings are for hd voice, but of course, I always take it with a grain of salt

Upvote 0
Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones