Sprint Hero 2.1 ROM on Oange HTC Hero

Last Updated:

1. Justabadlittleboy

Justabadlittleboy Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Guys,

I have (UNFORTUNATELY) an Orange branded/locked HTC Hero running the oh-so-old Android 1.5 ROM....what would happen if I tried updating it with the Sprint 2.1 ROM (if this is possible).

If it's not possible / will brick my phone, does anyone have any idea when Orange will release the update (not even had the fabled pre-update update which the rest of Europe seem to have had or about to).

As an aside, I will NEVER buy an HTC phone again after this s*** is over with. They may wonder why people want iPhones....Apple promise the iOS4 update...they deliver, on time with no malarkey about supposed different carrier versions. Counting the months till I'm out of contract and can sack off my HTC Hero.

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

You'll likely brick your phone if you use the CDMA ROM on a GSM Hero. I would NOT try it.

3. messyhead

messyhead Well-Known Member

I don't think it would brick your phone. I'm using Sense Hero 2.1 on my Orange Hero, and it works. The Sense Hero is based on a CDMA rom.

I'm not sure whether it would work though.

I emailed Orange this week to ask when the update was coming, but no response so far. I might give them a phone to ask.

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

You can't flash a ROM designed for Sprint phones, but you can flash GSM ports of their ROM.

Not that you'd want to; we already have the real deal 2.1 GSM for people using custom ROMs.