• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Hero HAS BEEN ROOTED@!

I got this flashing my girlfriend's hero as well - a few others at teh XDA forum also ran into this.

The fix so far has been to power-down your phone, power it back up and try again. Worked fine for me on the second attempt.

Interesting... I powered down and brought it back up, then tried to proceed from the step I was stuck at... I kept getting a "device not found" error.

Frustrated, I powered down. On a whim, I powered back up, holding vol down and power... I got the skating android screen and chose to back up... BACKUP COMPLETE!

Thanks, Android Forum! BOCK BOCK!!

Upvote 0
Interesting - perhaps the memory register error messages are something somewhat unrelated and it's actually flashing normally? Anyway, congrats :)

I may have started to celebrate too early. I'm trying to uninstall some apps following the "How To" in links above and my PC is saying the device is not found.

I'm not sure where to go at this point.

Upvote 0
It might not help as I'm using linux (debian) on my laptop, but I generally need to hit the 'HTC Sync' option in the phone's notification menu to get the PC talking to it. Once at the start of every session.

Also, make sure USB debugging is enabled on your phone ( Menu -> Settings -> Applications )

HA! I just tried that... It fails to find HTC Sync and prompts me to download (even though it's installed), but windows sees the device now. Thanks.

Upvote 0
You can safely follow all the steps through flashing the 'recovery' image without harming your phone (in most cases, there is no guarantee). Once that is in place, you'll have the ability to create a backup image of your phone. This is the 'Nandroid v2.2 backup' option in the screenshot earlier in this thread. This will create a 'nandroid' folder on your SD card with images of the entire phone memory, including all your apps and preferences.

Do I understand correctly that the Nandroid backup is taking up space on the SD card? After a couple days of problem free operation, would it be ok to remove it (storing it on my pc) to reclaim that space?

Check that... I read your post detailing moving the backup off the SD... Makes sense.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
If these have been answered, I apologize. I have read every post on this thread, and if the answers were posted, I probably didn't understand them :thinking:

1. Can I root my phone primarily to get rid of Sprint apps and keep running Sense?

2. If I brick my phone, am I just screwed? Is there no way to repair or replace it other than just to buy a new one out of pocket?

Upvote 0
If these have been answered, I apologize. I have read every post on this thread, and if the answers were posted, I probably didn't understand them :thinking:

1. Can I root my phone primarily to get rid of Sprint apps and keep running Sense?

ANSWER: Yes you can root just to get rid of the sprint apps. But please flash the recoery image just to use the nandroid backup

2. If I brick my phone, am I just screwed? Is there no way to repair or replace it other than just to buy a new one out of pocket?

ANSWER: Really hard to brick it unless you don't read carefully the how to root instructions. Also Nandroid will backup your stock rom that you have now just in case you mess up while deleting the sprint apps you can always restore.

Pow

Upvote 0
Wow, I probably shouldn't be doing this, considering I have been trying to just set up ADB drivers for over an hour. I think it is a problem with my computer, though. It doesn't want to recognize anything, and when I disable drivers, it re-enables them. If this last try doesn't work, I may just wait for Eclair before I try to do this again, although that still won't get rid of Nascar and NFL apps.:(

Upvote 0
After gaining root and uninstalling several programs, I'm not seeing the huge space and performance gains I was hoping for.

What have I missed?

Well for me flashing the Madaco rom and then removing the sprint apps especially sprint navigator which i have a garmin already helped. The theme for madaco also helped. We have to wait for our rom to really be tweaked before we see a real significant boost in speed but for now atleast them ugly sprint apps are gone.

Upvote 0
We have to wait for our rom to really be tweaked before we see a real significant boost in speed but for now atleast them ugly sprint apps are gone.

I should clarify... I'm not so concerned about the boost to performance (which I suspected was "seat-of-the-pants"). What I really wanted to see after all this was the extra space... Where should I be looking? Menu > Settings > SD Card & phone storage? If so, I'm actually down a couple meg as compared to my pre-root numbers.

Upvote 0
OH CRAP. Everything worked fine, I did the recovery reboot, got the the skateboarding droid screen, clicked the home button, and it took me to a black screen with a picture of a phone and a triangle with a "!" in it. My computer pulled up a window that said it was searching for drivers, but nothing ever happened. My phone will not power down and will not respond to anything. What now?

Upvote 0
Pull the battery, wait a few seconds, and power back up.

The screen you got to is the HTC default recovery image - the 'searching for drivers' you saw was Windows seeing the phone in a different state than normal - namely, the phone wanted to connect to the HTC updater program to load a flash ROM from your PC.

This probably means that the recovery image did not get flashed to your phone properly, I'd try that step again once you've got the phone back up and running.

Upvote 0
Bottom line here. If you root your phone, will lose any chance at warranty?

That's a question better asked to your Sprint rep or whomever you have phone insurance through (if any).

Theoretically, a hardware defect is a hardware defect, and would've been a problem regardless of what you've done to the software. IMO, that should be covered no questions asked, but I don't get to create their policy :)

If you happen to really, permanently, 'brick' your phone somehow - it's unlikely they're going to be able to tell without some serious investigation, which isn't really worth the time except for exploratory purposes.

I work tech support for a firewall appliance, and every once in a while we'll get a return where someone 'hacked around' - we basically laugh and go 'wow, did they really try to do that?', but it generally ends there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones