Sprint Hero, quick LED question...

Last Updated:

1. kenjancef

kenjancef Member This Topic's Starter

Hope it's cool to post this here...

I have an almost 4-week old Hero, and I noticed something weird today: I generally charge the Hero in my car, and the LED glows orange until charging is complete, then it stays green.

But this afternoon, after charging for a bit, I happen to look at the phone, and the LED was flashing, like an alert, but it flashes green, then orange, then green, then orange...... a little faster than an alert, but same continuous pattern. I unplug the charger, and the light went out (of course). I waited a few minutes, plugged it in again, and the same thing.

So I left it unplugged for about 30 minutes, then tried it again, and all was normal.

Anyone have a clue on what this means???

Thanks in advance...

Ken

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I think I've read somewhere that it means your battery is overheating.

kenjancef likes this.
  3. kenjancef

I kinda thought so, because the phone felt very warm. Wasn't too warm in my car though, was about 65 degrees or so today. I have noticed lately that after charging in my car and putting it in my pocket it feels pretty warm, warmer than it should be.

I have a simple car charger with a USB input that I use a miniUSB connector to plug into the phone. Wouldn't think that the charger would be too much for it, would you???

And even though the Hero has a unique port, I was specifically told by a salesperson in the Sprint store when I bought it that the miniUSB would work fine in it.

When I am home I use the wall charger that came with the phone. Maybe I should invest in a real Hero USB cable...

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ken

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I would assume that the charger is the problem rather than the cable. Possibly a higher voltage being sent. Unfortunately I don't know the pin-out pattern for the cable/charger so I wouldn't even know where to start checking.

5. BlackedOut

BlackedOut Well-Known Member

Yes, just get a car charger made for the Hero. prolly your best bet.

6. Fubie

Fubie Well-Known Member

If you have a cover on your phone (I used the Otterbox Commuter) this can insulate the phone and cause it to overheat while charging. Couple this with the fact that most of us lay the phone battery side down (We need to see our screens right?) in our comfy cloth seats which further insulates the battery and add to it there probably isn't any, or much, air flow directly over the phone and you have the recipe for an over heat.

I have had what you are describing happen to my Hero as well. All that I've done to "fix" this is prop and end of my phone up and set it near a vent (Floor vent in my case) which allows air movement over the phone and I haven't had any trouble since.

Hope this helps.

7. K4KAI

K4KAI Well-Known Member

Is it at all possible that the alternate Green & Orange LED flashes could be your Hero is notifying you of email, message, etc. at the same time the phone is charging?

It is just a guess on my part.

...A few hours later... I just checked my Hero while charging, and the LED **did not** alternately flash. My logic was wrong...

8. kenjancef

Naw, I can wake up the phone, and I had no notifications at all.

In fact, it happened again yesterday. Funny thing is, the phone is fine if I am not talking, but if I am, then I can almost fry an egg on it. I have it on a mount in my car, and have it charged while I'm driving. I have a Bluetooth headset and, being that I am an IT guy, I can be on the phone for an hour or more at a time. That is when it gets hot. But if I just let it sit and charge, and not be talking, it's fine.

Thanks for all of the replies!!! You guys rock!

Ken

9. lokipimpin

lokipimpin Active Member

I too use bluetooth headset, an my phone stays cool for the most part... I believe its because the screen is not lit during the call...might be wrong here, I have seen the leds before but didnt even think it was wierd... i really dont worry to much about it