Sprint Hero Recommendations?

Last Updated:

1. thedrizl

thedrizl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hey everyone. I wanted to get some opinions from actual Hero users.

I have a friend who is dying to get an android phone. She located a used Sprint Hero on ebay for a decent price. I don't know a whole lot about this particular phone, so i'm asking everyone for their recommendations.

is this a good android starter phone?
    any known major issues that might be encountered?
    anyone have any better recommendations?

also, i do know that this particular handset is rooted, running cmod6 and froyo. does anyone know if activating this phone will unroot it?

Advertisement
  2. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Well-Known Member

Running that - You should get All Sorts of Positive hoots and hollers from this crowd!
    How decent a price...I might go outbid her!

thedrizl likes this.
  3. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

Activating a phone won't unroot it...

thedrizl likes this.
  4. alex51

alex51 Well-Known Member

Be sure esn # is clean/clear for reactivation by calling Sprint cs @ 1-888-467-5464,if not don't buy it.

thedrizl likes this.
  5. yanger1982

yanger1982 Member

well all i gotta say is if she is a new to sprint, she minus will go to amazon.com and buy it for $0.01. That's right, 1 cent.

So since the phone is rooted, most of the problems people complain about usually goes away. So i would say it's a great starter phone to get started to enjoy android.

6. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

The Sprint HTC Hero is my first Android smartphone and I feel that it was perfect for the job. Eventually, when your friend is comfortable with using her Sprint HTC Hero, she could root it and discover a whole new set of useful ways to make use of it.

Alex51 is right in saying that she should call Sprint and make sure it has a clear ESN. She would be stuck with a useless handset if she bought it and found it was not a clear ESN.

7. CitizenD

CitizenD Well-Known Member

I have had a Hero since approximately launch. Running the stock Sprint/HTC Sense UI with all the preinstalled garbage, I can't really recommend the Hero. If you want it to run at a reasonable speed, you've got to keep a constant eye on your apps, and odds are you don't be able to install too many. And with that, I'm seriously considering rooting it to the specs you listed above.

8. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Root it, you'll be much happier;)

9. CitizenD

Downloading the files now. Really stoked! :)

10. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

depends on her tech and curiosity level the the price!

if she is just a phone user and needs little.. the HERO is a good start. Good get your feet wet type of project.

this all depends on price:
    like the above said.. if new to sprint.. getting online new..is hard to beat at free with 2 yr contract. you can also upgrade in 1 yr too! and the 30day trial period.

I hate to do it off ebay if you have other options. Try craigslist in your area. and then arrange to meet at a sprint location to do the activation and payment! This assures that no one gets screwed!

11. CitizenD

As a total noob, I rooted my her and installed the Cyanogen 6 ROM. Now running Froyo (something the Sprint store guys told me the Hero "couldn't do") and running it more smoothly than the 2.1 w/ Sense UI. I miss some of the Sense additions, but welcome all the other changes.

12. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

If you like sense ui

Try a zen rom [ROM] Zen-ROM Updated 08-30-2010. - xda-developers

or

try NFX [ROM] NFX-Hero 2.2.1.update1, 9/5/2010 Friendstream+Deodexed/ODEX+JIT & more - xda-developers

dan330 likes this.