Sprint Hero Rooting?

Last Updated:

1. mohulis

mohulis New Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 24, 2009
    Hey all! New to the forums here, hope to be using them extensively once I get the Sprint Hero in October. :)

I have some questions about the rooting possibilities on the Sprint Hero. Though I'm guessing a lot of this is going to be a kind of "wait and see" kind of thing - which I understand.

I'm guessing the ROM on the Sprint Hero is going to be different than the Euro versions, seeing as it's CDMA vs. GSM and Sprint obviously has their own branding vs. Orange and the like. My biggest questions are whether or not the Sprint Hero will be able to be rooted, and if the Sprint branded apps will still work? (Such as the NFL app and Sprint TV and the like) Not sure if I'll even use them - I've never seen them in action and am switching from AT&T (yes iPhone), but that's beside the point.

Also, I haven't seen many themes around for the SenseUI version of Android, most seem to be for the default UI. Am I just looking in the wrong places? Are there any good ones out there?

I've done a lot of searching and a bit of reading (well, a lot of reading, but a lot of it just sifting through info to get at what I was looking for) about rooting in general, and know that it's something I'm for sure interested in even if it's just for the ability to partition the microSD card to add RAM and an apps partition. Beyond that, what are the advantages of rooting to someone who's not really familiar with coding, but comfortable with tinkering with stuff simple enough to be in a guide?

I'm sure some of these have been asked, but I can't find anything about rooting on the Sprint version of the Hero. As I said I'm guessing that's because it's not out yet so not much is known, but guessing is allowed too! :cool: Thanks in advance. :D

2. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Up until a few days ago, no one had a Sprint Hero. Those that got the phone early have been busy playing with it, testing it, and doing videos of it. Im guessing none of them have tried to root it yet.

Will it be possible? Probably. Has anyone rooted a CDMA version yet? Not that I have seen or heard. Im sure as soon as that happens, we will probably hear about it here.

I'd be willing to bet that if you flashed the rom with anything currently out there, you would render the device useless, as well as lose the Sprint apps.