• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Hotspot Feature with 2.2 ?'s

The rumor was that Sprint had a hole in the system somewhere and people with 4G access were able to use the tether/Hotspot function for free.

This was supposed to be fixed in mid July but im not sure if it was. I dont have 4G where im at so i never kept an eye on its status.

Ah. Makes sense. My phone was built mid July and activated in early August with 1.47.651.1 installed, and I never updated it. Makes me wonder whether I should root or not.

Upvote 0
Ah. Makes sense. My phone was built mid July and activated in early August with 1.47.651.1 installed, and I never updated it. Makes me wonder whether I should root or not.

if you root, you will be able to tether on 3g and 4g, both wirelessly and wired. You're also at the optimal version for rooting. Simpleroot is a 1-click full root for 1.47. Doesn't get easier than that. If it's something you're considering, check out the "all things root" subforum. Lots of info there.

Upvote 0
Yes, I know this BUT if you upgrade to FroYo on your unrooted EVO, you can say goodbye to free 4G tethering.

The OP did mention that he is still on 2.1.

And right now, the workaround to rooting Froyo is to take it back to 2.1 and then choose your rooting method(ie simpleroot, unrevoked, etc). Since he is already on 2.1, he is WAY more than halfway there....just like Novox said, simpleroot is a one click root. So why not????

Upvote 0
And right now, the workaround to rooting Froyo is to take it back to 2.1 and then choose your rooting method(ie simpleroot, unrevoked, etc). Since he is already on 2.1, he is WAY more than halfway there....just like Novox said, simpleroot is a one click root. So why not????

lol ok lets back up here... The OP was wondering whether or not there is a point in him rooting since he is on 1.47 and already has free 4G tether. I replied, yes, there are no real downsides to rooting. So in essence, we are saying the same thing.

Right now, the OP can not upgrade to the FroYo OTA without losing the free 4G tether so I was simply stating that rooting would be in his best interests.

Upvote 0
Why wouldn't you? There are really no major downsides. If you root, you get free 3G and 4G tether. Not only that, but you can also enjoy some delicious FroYo.

this thread did get confusing.

for me, it started with this post:

I think that my post confused him... He must have thought that I didn't know FroYo was out for unrooted EVOs. However, he did not realize that if OP upgraded to OTA FroYo he will lose his free 4G tether.

Upvote 0
Yes, I know this BUT if you upgrade to FroYo on your unrooted EVO, you can say goodbye to free 4G tethering.

The OP did mention that he is still on 2.1.

Ah, gotcha.

I think that my post confused him... He must have thought that I didn't know FroYo was out for unrooted EVOs. However, he did not realize that if OP upgraded to OTA FroYo he will lose his free 4G tether.

Correct. My fault.

Upvote 0
I'm also scared to root my phone, don't want to brick it.

I remember when I felt this way.

knowledge is power. The more you understand what is involved, the less scared you will be. It's actually quite hard to brick your phone. I lurk over at the "all things root" subforum, and NEVER ONCE have I ever seen anyone brick their phone. Get stuck? sure, but nothing that can't be resolved. Lots of good info over in that forum if you ever get brave enough to start the process.

And once you're on the other side, you will wonder why you didn't root on day 1 :)

Reactions: nu2android
Upvote 0
I remember when I felt this way.

knowledge is power. The more you understand what is involved, the less scared you will be. It's actually quite hard to brick your phone. I lurk over at the "all things root" subforum, and NEVER ONCE have I ever seen anyone brick their phone. Get stuck? sure, but nothing that can't be resolved. Lots of good info over in that forum if you ever get brave enough to start the process.

And once you're on the other side, you will wonder why you didn't root on day 1 :)

Yeah, I've been reading all things root forum and watching a few youtube videos. But its only for the hotspot is it not or new kernels?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've been reading all things root forum and watching a few youtube videos. But its only for the hotspot is it not or new kernels?

There are a lot of advantages of rooting. wifi-tether was not one of my priorities (and still isn't). The main reason I wanted to root was to remove all the Sprint crapware that I couldn't remove from my phone.

But yeah, wifi tether is completely "unlocked" when you root, and you use a non-sprint tethering app. I think the other major advantage of rooting is getting the FPS uncap, which boosts your framerate from ~30fps to 50+ fps. And more importantly, finger tracking is significantly improved, which makes your phone feel SO much more responsive to your finger swiping.

I like Sense, so I'm running a stock ROM with a custom launcher app. If you like to customize your look-and-feel, there are a lot of custom ROMs designed for that.

I've also set up my phone like a traditional linux box, running several servers like sshd, ftpd, httpd, etc.

Reactions: nu2android
Upvote 0
I've been running the hotspot since I discovered that it worked about a week after launch day... Going into the 4th billing cycle & I haven't been charged...

I'm still running the semi-root version of unrevoked that was released a couple days after launch... So that allows me to also run wireless tether when the sprint hotspot won't work (no 4g)...

I will do a full root when audio codecs issues on 2.2 are worked out... So until then 2.1 works just fine for me

Upvote 0
I was at a friends house last night who has a htc incredible. He showed me a hack he found to get into some kind of settings where he was able to change the "dun" on the phone and enable wifi hotspot without paying for it. I did a google search for the EVO, but couldn't find anything without having to root (waiting for unrev. 3.2). So, I decided to just give my evo a try and turned on the wifi hotspot setting. I did get the error message that many people have talked about, but then the wifi hotspot turned on and I was able to connect my laptop and my wife's phone to my evo. I am not signed up for the hotspot and I am not paying the $30 monthly fee for the service so does anyone know how this is happening and will I be charged for it? I have had my phone for about 3 months so definitely not in the 30 day trial period. Would sprint be able to charge me for this service even though I did not sign up for it? Also, does anyone know about the "dun" method I talked about above? My friend did his incredible pretty easy, but as I said, I couldn't find anything about it on the EVO. Maybe a Verizon thing, I don't know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones