• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] How to Root Sprint Galaxy Nexus for Dummies [Windows, Mac, Linux]

Did you install the fastboot drivers? You may have to manually install them from that link I provided. I have never done this on windows because I don't own a windows computer but once you have the fastboot drivers installed they should stay.

While the phone is plugged in and in bootloader type this command and see if a serial number pops up

fastboot devices

Make sure you are in the directory you unzipped all of your files to. If a serial number pops up then your device is recognized and you can proceed with rooting.

had a lot of driver issues, but once I installed PDA net/and or the 32 bit drivers for my crappy Vista, it was fixed. READY TO ROM!!!

Cheers

Upvote 0
Thank you so much! Did this tonight and everything worked perfectly!
I did have to rename the recovery-from-boot.p but ES File worked find.
Again, thank you! Now I'm gonna go geek out on CM9!

Welcome to Android Forums, if you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm glad my guide was a help to you. What operating system are you running on your computer, I am trying to see which of these zips is being used most.

Upvote 0
"Open your OS's command line, for Mac and Linux it is terminal for Windows I'm not quite sure, I use Mac. Once the command line is open CD to the directory that you unziped the file to."

What does this mean?

In terminal type this command

cd/desktop [enter]

cd/galaxynexusrootmac [enter]

or wherever you unziped the folder to me, what you are doing is navigating to the folder so that terminal knows where to run the commands. Sorry for the confusion, that part is kind of hard to explain because people unzip it to different places, for me desktop is normally the easiest.

Reactions: AARONONE
Upvote 0
In terminal type this command

cd/desktop [enter]

cd/galaxynexusrootmac [enter]

or wherever you unziped the folder to me, what you are doing is navigating to the folder so that terminal knows where to run the commands. Sorry for the confusion, that part is kind of hard to explain because people unzip it to different places, for me desktop is normally the easiest.

When i type this, it says "no such file or directory"

I did unzip to the desktop and using mac

Upvote 0
When i type this, it says "no such file or directory"

I did unzip to the desktop and using mac

I wrote the wrong command :facepalm:

try this

cd desktop [enter]

cd GalaxyNexusRootMac [enter]

Sorry for the mess up I just updated with pictures.

EDIT: if you have any other questions feel free to ask, hopefully I cleared up some confusion with the pictures

Reactions: AARONONE
Upvote 0
Rooted! I was entering the slashes in term emu. The pictures really helped. That was easy. Now on to flashing roms. Any recommendations? I will likely wait a few days to flash since I just got the phone today and still haven't got used to ICS. Oh, and the google wallet thing, does that matter if I have never set it up. or should I set up, then clear it to be safe?

Upvote 0
Rooted! I was entering the slashes in term emu. The pictures really helped. That was easy. Now on to flashing roms. Any recommendations? I will likely wait a few days to flash since I just got the phone today and still haven't got used to ICS. Oh, and the google wallet thing, does that matter if I have never set it up. or should I set up, then clear it to be safe?

I recommend AOKP or CM9 to begin with (both can be found in the ROM's & Kernels sticky), both are really stable out the box. More than likely tomorrow we'll have a JB ROM that's 100%, so that's something else you'll want to try.

As for GW, go ahead and set it up now. Make sure you reset it from within the app before making a nandroid and flashing new ROM's and you should be okay.

Upvote 0
I recommend AOKP or CM9 to begin with (both can be found in the ROM's & Kernels sticky), both are really stable out the box. More than likely tomorrow we'll have a JB ROM that's 100%, so that's something else you'll want to try.

As for GW, go ahead and set it up now. Make sure you reset it from within the app before making a nandroid and flashing new ROM's and you should be okay.

I downloaded the samurai from with the stock samurai kernal.looked pretty cool. I was thinking cm9 would be stable too. Any kernal recommendations?

Btw, this phone flies compared to the og. Definitely happy with the purchase.

Upvote 0
I downloaded the samurai from with the stock samurai kernal.looked pretty cool. I was thinking cm9 would be stable too. Any kernal recommendations?

Btw, this phone flies compared to the og. Definitely happy with the purchase.

Yes it flies, and you haven't even tried out Jellybean yet it makes ICS look like a snail :)

Also Like Frenchy said, I would recommend AOKP build 40 (I like it more than CM9) and as for kernels I would go with Trinity but thats just me, YMMV.

Upvote 0
What about adding to the life after root. Such as flashing instructions for Gapps, add ons (like beats), themes, scripts, etc. Just a thought for newcomers.

Just thought of adding the settings to stop Mac from unzipping files upon download too. I think I have instructions posted in to og forum that I could pm.

That'd be good if you could PM that, I don't use Safari so have never had that problem lol. Also I will be adding a lot more when I have the time. If you have anything else let me know and I will add it if it is something that should be added.

Upvote 0

Updated, second post under trouble shooting. Thanks again.

I also updated a couple of other things such as adding ROM and Kernel Download page to the after root section. Finally I added a Thanks and credits section to the third post, if I forgot anyone please let me know.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I hope you can help, I followed the steps in the tutorial, I had the issue with the android robot but I changed the system file to RW and renamed the folder, I made a back up and then tried to install a ROM, it was the Vicious Jelly Bean Rom, now when I boot the phone Google is displayed with a little white lock underneath, if I enter into recovery mode and try to reinstall I only have the option to install the same rom (ie the vicious jelly bean.zip) or the super user zip and when I tried to restore the back up it isn't working, just before it finishes the message
.android_secure.img not found. Skipping restore of /sdcard/.android_secure.
Restore complete appears but then when I reboot I still get the google screen and nothing else.

When I plug the phone into the laptop (I'm using a Mac and also have parallels) neither operating system is able to access the phone. Is the phone bricked?

I'm sure this isn't clear enough so if you need to ask me questions please do.
Hoping you can help.

Hoping for help

Upvote 0
Hi,
I hope you can help, I followed the steps in the tutorial, I had the issue with the android robot but I changed the system file to RW and renamed the folder, I made a back up and then tried to install a ROM, it was the Vicious Jelly Bean Rom, now when I boot the phone Google is displayed with a little white lock underneath, if I enter into recovery mode and try to reinstall I only have the option to install the same rom (ie the vicious jelly bean.zip) or the super user zip and when I tried to restore the back up it isn't working, just before it finishes the message
.android_secure.img not found. Skipping restore of /sdcard/.android_secure.
Restore complete appears but then when I reboot I still get the google screen and nothing else.

When I plug the phone into the laptop (I'm using a Mac and also have parallels) neither operating system is able to access the phone. Is the phone bricked?

I'm sure this isn't clear enough so if you need to ask me questions please do.
Hoping you can help.

Hoping for help

What recovery did you select? Are you in bootloader when you plug it in? Also did you try wiping everything in recovery (cache, dalvik, data, and system)?

Upvote 0
What recovery did you select? Are you in bootloader when you plug it in? Also did you try wiping everything in recovery (cache, dalvik, data, and system)?

Hi thanks for the quick response,
I have tried from recovery, bootloader (if this means odin mode) and from the google screen and still nothing. I have wiped cache, dalvik and data and system.

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for the quick response,
I have tried from recovery, bootloader (if this means odin mode) and from the google screen and still nothing. I have wiped cache, dalvik and data and system.

Bootloader is the screen with the "dead" android on it that lets you select to go into recovery mode. If you have wiped system, try reinstalling the ROM. Go into recovery and just install the ROM, if you have wiped all of that already just wipe cache and dalvik for good measure.

Upvote 0
Bootloader is the screen with the "dead" android on it that lets you select to go into recovery mode. If you have wiped system, try reinstalling the ROM. Go into recovery and just install the ROM, if you have wiped all of that already just wipe cache and dalvik for good measure.

OK,
So I just wiped everything again, and then installed the rom from the zip again, and restarted then the phone just goes back to showing the google logo with the little lock underneath, I am trying something called odin but the phone is not showing up on odins page. I am sure this can be fixed but I think I need to add another rom, to add the rom I need to access the phone but I can't access the phone without it working!

It seems like I am stuck in a loop.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
OK,
So I just wiped everything again, and then installed the rom from the zip again, and restarted then the phone just goes back to showing the google logo with the little lock underneath, I am trying something called odin but the phone is not showing up on odins page. I am sure this can be fixed but I think I need to add another rom, to add the rom I need to access the phone but I can't access the phone without it working!

It seems like I am stuck in a loop.

Any ideas?

How long are you waiting on the google logo screen?

ODIN is a last ditch effort, lets try to avoid it for now :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones