Sprint HTC Hero - On 3G?

Last Updated:

1. jstengren

jstengren Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I just got the Power Manager app and it's reporting that I'm on the 2G network. I try tapping the 2G/3G switch and it takes me to my system settings... but there is nothing I can find to enable 3G! Either the Power Manager app is lying and I am, in fact, running 3G, or my phone is stuck on 2G for some reason. How do I enable 3G and/or find out if I'm running 2G or 3G?

Advertisement
  2. quentinfisher

quentinfisher Well-Known Member

By your signal bars it will say either 1x(2g) or 3x(3g), find out which one it's displaying first.

3. jstengren

It will either say 1x or EVO. Never seen a 3x

4. jstengren

Chatted w/Sprint today and apparently EV = 3G on the new Hero.

5. dcdttu

dcdttu Well-Known Member

Sprint's 3G network is different from a GSM provider like AT&T or T-Mobile. There really isn't a 2G or 3G network that people are on, like GSM's TDMA 2G and W-CDMA 3G networks. Sprint is 1 network, plain and simple. Their voice system is the same system that's been around since Sprint's inception as a digital network. Their data system, however, has been upgraded from 1XRTT (think Edge in GSM) to EVDO Rev A (think 3G in GSM). If your phone says EV, you have the fastest data speeds. If it says 1X, you are on the slower data speed. It's all on the same network though, and there really isn't a 2G/3G switch for Sprint's network. You can force phones to 1X if you want, but it's on the same network as EV, just uses a different method to send/receive data.

I've noticed the Hero on Sprint moves around a lot, between EV and 1X.... Almost all of Sprint's network, and Verizon's for that matter, is EV.

Hope that helps.

6. HTCDroid

HTCDroid Member

Yeah the available programs on the market seem to be unable to determine CDMA network connections, just like the speed test app saying we're on EDGE. I can understand it I guess, this is the first CDMA Android device so developers haven't been creating their programs with CDMA in mind.

7. dman977

dman977 New Member

I know this forum is somewhat old, but just thought I would share.

Sprint actually displays 'Ev' in the taskbar instead of '3G' because you are not always getting 3G speeds. There is EVDO but the true 3G is EVDO Rev A. Since one is 3G and one is not, Sprint decided to just put 'Ev' and assumed none would be the wiser. The equivalencies are as follows.

TDMA (GSM) = CDMA
    GPRS = 1xRTT
    EDGE = EVDO
    3G = EVDO Rev A
    HSDPA = LTE = 4G