Sprint HTC Hero Upgrade 2.1?

Last Updated:

1. SM011

SM011 New Member This Topic's Starter

I just ordered the HTC Hero,
    should be getting here sometime this week, I'm definitley excited!
    but i keep hearing about this 2.1 Upgrade coming out soon
    What will this 2.1 upgrade do?

Advertisement
    Carl C likes this.
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Welcome! :D

Check out the Hero forum! I trust you'll fnd your answer there :)

SM011 likes this.
  3. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

There is a separate forum for the sprint hero, I have moved this thread over there

4. Sirchuk

Sirchuk Active Member

There are currently several different versions of Android depending on the phone you've got.

Android 1.5 - Cupcake - Sprint Hero
    Android 1.6 - Donut
    Android 2.0 - Eclair
    Android 2.1 - Eclair

Google released 1.6 around October, and followed up with 2.0 around December, and 2.1 in January. They (HTC and Sprint) are working on getting us an update to 2.1.

With the update we'll have better OpenGL support for 3D graphics, access to additional applications like Google Maps 4.0 with Google Nav and Google Buzz, Google Goggles, a new Apps market with application screenshots, better battery performance, faster operating system, etc. In addition we'll see the Sense user interface on the Hero's updated to support multi-touch (pinch to zoom in/out) on the home screen and in Google Maps.

It's a substantial update that we are hoping will be released next month. How they are going to update is still unknown. It can either be over the air and pushed to your phone from Sprint, or you may have to take the phone into a Sprint store for the update to be applied.

I hope that answers some of your question...

5. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

Last report was that it will be released early second quarter 2010, which would mean April to mid-May.

In addition to what Sirchuk said, 1.5 was a GSM designed ROM, and essentially had to be hacked to run on CDMA networks, which has caused some issues with messaging and other things. 1.6+ are CDMA native ROM's, that is, they were designed with CDMA networks in mind. Hopefully, that fact alone will fix many of the issues people are having with this phone and the Moment on Sprint's network. Time will tell.

uminchu and delarge05 like this.
  6. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

7. g0tr00t

g0tr00t Well-Known Member

8. heroparadigm

heroparadigm Well-Known Member

It seems like we have been waiting forever for this update. I happened to just wash my hero on the washing machine by accident and am getting a new one. I was hoping the 2.1 update would already be installed on my phone by now...one can only hope and wait.

9. marshall518

marshall518 Well-Known Member

I currently have 1.5, I hear 1.6 is out. Should I upgrade or what for 2.1? Also, if I upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6 does it wipeout everything in my phone?

10. durandetto

durandetto Well-Known Member

1.6 isn't officialy out for the Hero, but you can root and install a 1.6 ROM. You have to wipe your phone before installing a 1.6 or a 2.1 ROM. When they roll out the official 2.1 I imagine it will save as much as it can, meaning everything compatible with 2.1. If you contacts are saved as Google contacts they will automatically sync after you set your phone back up after the wipe.

11. lewi3069

lewi3069 Well-Known Member

OK for this 2.1 update... I am running the CDMA Modco Rom. (love it by the way much faster). But will I be able to get this update when using the Modco or not? Because to my understanding the 2.1 is a firmware update if I'm correct? So I would think that I could.

12. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

There will very likely be a version of Modaco based on the official 2.1 within a couple hours of 2.1's release. So yes, you can get the update if you wait for a custom ROM based on it to come out.

If you want the official version (bad idea IMHO), then you'd have to un-root and download the update.

13. phirewire110

phirewire110 Well-Known Member

So does anyone know if the home screen with have a landscape view?
    If so how will this work?
    Will the widgets auto adjust?

Also will the lock screen have landscape or even be different?
    Sorry if I overlooked this in another thread.