• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint HTC Hero Upgrade 2.1?

There are currently several different versions of Android depending on the phone you've got.

Android 1.5 - Cupcake - Sprint Hero
Android 1.6 - Donut
Android 2.0 - Eclair
Android 2.1 - Eclair

Google released 1.6 around October, and followed up with 2.0 around December, and 2.1 in January. They (HTC and Sprint) are working on getting us an update to 2.1.

With the update we'll have better OpenGL support for 3D graphics, access to additional applications like Google Maps 4.0 with Google Nav and Google Buzz, Google Goggles, a new Apps market with application screenshots, better battery performance, faster operating system, etc. In addition we'll see the Sense user interface on the Hero's updated to support multi-touch (pinch to zoom in/out) on the home screen and in Google Maps.

It's a substantial update that we are hoping will be released next month. How they are going to update is still unknown. It can either be over the air and pushed to your phone from Sprint, or you may have to take the phone into a Sprint store for the update to be applied.

I hope that answers some of your question...

Upvote 0
Last report was that it will be released early second quarter 2010, which would mean April to mid-May.

In addition to what Sirchuk said, 1.5 was a GSM designed ROM, and essentially had to be hacked to run on CDMA networks, which has caused some issues with messaging and other things. 1.6+ are CDMA native ROM's, that is, they were designed with CDMA networks in mind. Hopefully, that fact alone will fix many of the issues people are having with this phone and the Moment on Sprint's network. Time will tell.

Upvote 0
1.6 isn't officialy out for the Hero, but you can root and install a 1.6 ROM. You have to wipe your phone before installing a 1.6 or a 2.1 ROM. When they roll out the official 2.1 I imagine it will save as much as it can, meaning everything compatible with 2.1. If you contacts are saved as Google contacts they will automatically sync after you set your phone back up after the wipe.

Upvote 0
OK for this 2.1 update... I am running the CDMA Modco Rom. (love it by the way much faster). But will I be able to get this update when using the Modco or not? Because to my understanding the 2.1 is a firmware update if I'm correct? So I would think that I could.

There will very likely be a version of Modaco based on the official 2.1 within a couple hours of 2.1's release. So yes, you can get the update if you wait for a custom ROM based on it to come out.

If you want the official version (bad idea IMHO), then you'd have to un-root and download the update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones