• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Sprint HTC (White) hard case

I decided that I needed a case for my EVO since the Home Depot Velcro trick was only temporary. lol

I knew that when I went in search of a hard case for the EVO I was not going to find anything. I bought the EVO at Radio Shack and their selection was none. I then went to Best Buy and they were only giving out their cases to those that pre-ordered thru them. Ordering online would have taken too long, so I took some trusty dusty home depot Velcro and cut a piece and put it on the back of the phone to raise the camera lens off the ground.
See first image (HomeDepot01.jpg).

Today after work I went to two Sprint stores in search of hard cases and the first one only had one hard case, the other had all hard cases so I was able to choose which one I liked.

I bought both the three side color package (the same one that Mr. Virginia showcased here, and the white chrome one. I won't review the 3 color one since Mr. Virginia did a great job in that thread, so here is the white Chrome hard case.

Images Cover00.jpg and Cover01.jpg show the box the item came in.

Images Cover02.jpg shows the front view of the item out of the box.
The cover, a Styrofoam and a mockup of the EVO.

Images Cover03.jpg shows the back view of the item out of the box.
One would think its a two piece unit but its really just one piece. There are chrome accents at the edges of the cover, the opening of the flash, camera and speaker area, the volume rocker areas and the kickstand area. Alos at the top and bottom of the cover.

Images Cover04.jpg shows a closer view of the item. It has felt on the inside almost covering the inside of the cover. except the sides, top and bottom.

Images Cover05.jpg and Cover06.jpg shows the back of the item with the EVO. It has plenty of room to unhook the stand hook and does not cover the flash, camera or speaker phone. There is an opening at the top left of the cover where one would detach the back cover of the EVo, but I see no reason why they did that. You really cannot take off the White Cover and the back of the EVO this way. You will have to take off the White Cover first and then the EVO's back cover.
The back of the Cover is textured, fiber, feels and looks like Carbon Fiber, but there isn't any indication that it is on the package.

Images Cover07.jpg shows the sides of the item where the volume rockers are. Not shown in the images, but the chrome accents on teh front are about 1 millimeter over the sides of the phone. This is good since if you were to place the phone screen face down, it keeps the screen above any flat surface and thus not scratch your screen.

Images Cover08.jpg shows the front with the EVo in it.

Bottom line, I like it.

Pros:
  • Snug fit.
  • Feels tough, good construction.
  • Doesn't cover up any of the holes (headphone, power, hdmi. nor the volume rockers, kickstand, power switch, flash, camera or speaker phone.
  • Carbon fiber look
  • Chrome accents
  • White
  • Cover keeps the rear camera lens off any flat surface as well as the front chrome accents raises the front screen above any flat surface.

Cons:
  • Adds about 2 millimeters on each side of the EVO and about 1 millimeter to the top and bottom of the EVO. (not much in my opinion, but for others a deal breaker.)
  • Unexplained hole for the back cover remover notch. (Not needed)
  • Some may not like the Chrome accents
  • To get to the battery, adds another step. White cover off, then back cover off.
  • Since its such a snug fit, one gets the feeling that taking it on and off might scratch the sides of the EVO. (but so far I have not seen any scratches)

TS out

Attachments

• HomeDepot01.jpg
    HomeDepot01.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Cover00.jpg
    Cover00.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Cover01.jpg
    Cover01.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 241
  • Cover02.jpg
    Cover02.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Cover03.jpg
    Cover03.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 257
  • Cover04.jpg
    Cover04.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Cover05.jpg
    Cover05.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 278
  • Cover06.jpg
    Cover06.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Cover07.jpg
    Cover07.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Cover08.jpg
    Cover08.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 220
Reactions: Roman G.
My wife and I went to Best Buy, Radio Shack and Sprint.

Best Buy - Seido case 2 different kinds (at least at my store) One that would slide on/off in Purple and one that snapped in black.

Radio Shack- Nothing at all. Pretty lame

Sprint- 3 basic cases I saw. THe white one which looks good but seems very cheap doesnt look like it protects the front edges very much. The silcone case that should be $2 but reatails for $15.

I got the Seido black and my wife got the Seido in Purple. Both were $29.99. We also opted for the screen protection film put on by best buy for $20. Grand total $100. (I think it is crazy high but there is nothing else out there)

Upvote 0
Bought the case and didn't like the white with silver accents so I tried a few things to modify it! First I boil dyed it but it turned the white purple and the silver bronzish gold! It was an interesting look but not the one I'm going for so I spray painted it over with black Vinyl and cloth paint and it looks amazing! PERFECT for my taste. Take a look below!

Attachments

• P7300112.jpg
    P7300112.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
  • P7300116.jpg
    P7300116.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
  • P7300118.jpg
    P7300118.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • P7300117.jpg
    P7300117.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
LOL. Sure it isn't perfect but to call it guady is a little crazy. Its a regular black case....and thats what it looks like...plain. Everyone I asked actually preferred it black like that rather than white and silver accents. Silver PLASTIC accents are tacky as hell....or would YOU prefer it the original colors? I just didn't want to be walking around with a white case because it looked way too nasty but I guess that's my opinion just like your opinion is posted above.

Upvote 0
I have this case, got it when I bought my Evo. I really like it. Up close it looks cheap. Ok - it is cheap. But most cases are. Functionally it is very good - as others have noted, it keeps but the back camera lens and the front screen raised when you put it down on a flat surface. It adds very very little to the overall size of the Evo. It fits very snug. The material - whatever the heck it is - is not as "sticky" as rubber/silicone, not as slick as a hard case, but still slides easily in and out of a pocket while also not being too slippery if you put it on a dash. I thought it would attract dirt (white, porous) but I have had it for almost 2 months and that is not the case - it is still clean and white.

Upvote 0
yeah I agree on the functionality of the case. It protects my phone GREAT and it is SNUG. What killed it for me was the silver accents...not the white. Maybe I'm too picky? It just looked too......well....I don't know the words to describe it. I mean it was ok if you like that sort of thing though....I much prefer black though as well as many others would have. I can't believe they only made it in white! At least have two colors: black and white if your going to make a case like that. Overral look of the case in relation to the phone is great AND I have easy access to remove the case when I need to get to battery and other critical areas if needed without the hassle. I had the body glove case with the thin top cover and it broke. I really see nothing that can break on this case. It is pretty thick plastic and it makes my phone very solid.

Upvote 0
LOL. Sure it isn't perfect but to call it guady is a little crazy. Its a regular black case....and thats what it looks like...plain. Everyone I asked actually preferred it black like that rather than white and silver accents. Silver PLASTIC accents are tacky as hell....or would YOU prefer it the original colors? I just didn't want to be walking around with a white case because it looked way too nasty but I guess that's my opinion just like your opinion is posted above.

Relax dude. I was referring to the OP, you know, the one this thread its actually about. Your little fit was entertaining though.

Upvote 0
Has anyone noticed cracks developing on the inside of this case in the upper and lower corners? I removed my wifes case (she got it 3 days after the EVO came out) to try on a rubber molded case I bought her. I noticed the stress cracks in all 4 corners. They aren't bad enough yet to toss it out but they look like they will probably develop into a problem down the road.

Upvote 0
I haven't noticed anything significant about it....no cracking on my end but if its happening to you then it will happen to me soon. I purchased my case on ebay for $5.99 so I'm not really that worried but you would think with the thick plastic like that it would never crack or at least it would last a year.

Upvote 0
I'm just curious...has anyone ever dropped the phone in the case on a hard surface and had it protect the phone? It looks like it would but I would DARE not ever try. Dropping my evo on the concrete and having my screen crack every which way was too tramatic for me. At least I got a brand new evo with Another 8gb card and charger for free though...minus the $100 deductible...so technically it wasn't free but it sounded good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones