[Sprint] I need help in regards to rooting

Last Updated: 2013-02-17 17:17:24
  1. buddyallen1977

buddyallen1977 Active Member

Hello, i am new also..lol and don't even know how to make a post or ask questions? :( I need help in regards to rooting an android? I have nexus rootkit tool and unlocked the phone with it but when click to root my computer reboots during the process??? I don't know if anyone can help or where to go?

Advertisement
  2. Brian706

Brian706 Moderator Moderator

Hi Buddy,
    I moved your post into the sprint nexus all things root section. I sent you a PM with more info :)
  3. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

That's weird that your computer reboots while trying to root. As for your toolkit, you're using Wug's toolkit, right? If the tool kit isn't cooperating, it is not very difficult to do this the manual way now that the bootloader is unlocked.

If not using Wugs, I would try that toolkit first. If Wugs is the one failing, then I would move onto the manual method.

Judging by the fact that Brian moved this to the Sprint subforum, is it safe to assume you have the Sprint version, since you don't mention this in your post. If not, can you tell me which one you have?
    Brian706 likes this.
  4. Brian706

Brian706 Moderator Moderator

You are correct jhawk. I should have posted the extra information from his Private Message:

Your questions were actually both answered there :)
    jhawkkw likes this.
  5. buddyallen1977

Yes I have Sprint Nexus with jelly bean 4.2.1. I unlocked with Wigs nexus root toolkit v1.6.2, however when click "root", during the process my desktop restarts? I did notice 3 zip files that were pushed to my device: super user, busy box, and perm recovery?
    Brian706 likes this.
  6. jhawkkw

If you browse your tablet using a file manager, can you see those files on your tablet?
  7. buddyallen1977

Yes, use file explorer and see a file called, "!ReadyToFlash", when open that it says, "root files" and that has three zip files, busy box, cwm-super user, and perm recovery.
  8. jhawkkw

If you can extract those and get them to the top directory of your internal memory, that would be great.

So to begin the manual procedure, you will want to go here and download this .img file to your computer. You want to put this file in the same folder on your computer that Wugs installed the fastboot file(inside the data folder of the main Wugs folder). Rename it to something shorter like twrp.img

1)Once that is set up, put your device into fastboot mode by holding Vol Up + Vol Down + Power while the device is off and plug it into the computer.

2)In the folder where the fastboot file and the twrp.img is located, hold ctrl + shift and then right click. Select the option "Open command window here".

3) type the command:
    This should return a bunch of letters or numbers to signify that the computer sees the device. If not, it means your fastboot driver isn't installed. However I suspect it is because you unlocked successfully.

4) type the command:
    Your device should now boot into the twrp recovery.

5) Once loaded up, tap the install and locate where those 3 zip files are. You only want to flash busy box and cwm-super user. perm recovery isn't necessary at this point. tap one, and then you can use the swipe bar at the bottom to flash it. Do this for both files. Once done, reboot the device and you should be rooted.
    Brian706 likes this.
  9. buddyallen1977

OK,thank you jhawkkw, I will try your directions and keep you posted.
  10. buddyallen1977

Oh, one more question? Should I open and install those zip files on my device before doing the above steps? Thank you for your patience with my lack of knowledge.
  11. jhawkkw

no, you want to leave them in zip format. twrp is going to install it for you from the zip file.
  12. buddyallen1977

Confused? When I hold down ctrl + shift then right click mouse, I don't get the option "open command window here"?
  13. jhawkkw

Alright, that must be a newish feature in Windows that xp didn't have. What you want to do then is manually navigate to where the files are located instead of taking the shortcut.

Open the command prompt by hitting start - > run. Then type cmd, and then it hit enter.

From here, if you know Unix code, you can enter the command here to change directory. if not, can you tell me the list of folders you have to go through to where the fastboot command is? Something along the lines of "C: - >Program Files -> etc.
  14. buddyallen1977

ok, microsoft actually had a program to download to get the "open command here" window, so I successfully did that. When I type: fastboot devices, it works and list numbers and letters and says fastboot. However when type: fastboot boot recovery twrp.img", it says, "cannot load 'recovery'??
  15. buddyallen1977

if I type: fastboot recovery twrp.img(without "boot"), a list of commands come up? I am not sure what to do? Maybe remove the 3 zip files and try again?
  16. buddyallen1977

I don't know what to do? My phone was unlocked sucessfully with wugs nexus toolkit but everytime I click"root" it starts the process puts my phone in fastboot starts pushing files and then my desktop shuts down...so even though the !ReadyToFlash in phone with the three zip files(busybox, superuser, and quick boot), I think maybe that not getting whole files cause pc shuts down? IDK, I am frustrated and dissapointed in self and lack of knowledge! :(
  17. jhawkkw

Alright, that is good that it recognizes your device. That is the hardest part. As for your last PM about another method other than wugs, that is what we are doing. We are doing it the manual method. Normally wugs does all this session window stuff for you.

Did you download the file I mentioned in post 8? If not, here's another link. Techerrata Downloads - Downloading openrecovery-twrp-2.4.1.0-toroplus.img

Once this file is downloaded, rename it twrp.img and move it to the same folder you opened the session window in. Then try the boot command.

I'm guessing the reason your computer shuts down is a script error. Are those 3 files actually on your tablet? If not, move them to it manually through windows explorer.
  18. buddyallen1977

OK, yes I put previous twrp.IMG inside Wigs "Data" folder. Should I delete it and download the above link and try it instead? When open "X-plore" app, under: /storage/emulated/0(sdcard), it has folder "!ReadyToFlash". When click on that it has folder " Root Files", when click that there are three folders: busybox-signed.zip, CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip, and perm-recovery-signed.zip. So I'm guessing they are where suppose to be? They are not installed though?
  19. jhawkkw

Correct, they are not installed. That is twrp is for, to install these files into their correct location. If the boot command doesn't work, try this sequence of commands instead.

Doing these two commands in that exact order should result in the same thing, having the device boot up into twrp.
  20. buddyallen1977

okay, when type: fastboot flash recovery twrp.IMG, the first time my pc rebooted and phone read: FastBoot CommandReadError-2147483647. After PC restarted I did same thing (using same command) and in the window it says: sending 'recovery' <5478KB>... and then just stays like that? With a flashing dash(-) underneath it?
  21. buddyallen1977

oh, and phone reads: fastboot status-Okay
  22. buddyallen1977

....But....it wont let me enter second command "fastboot reboot recovery" ??? Just has a flashing _ (dash) underneath where it says, "sending 'recovery' <5478KB>...
  23. jhawkkw

It might not have finished sending the recovery. Since the computer is running XP, I assume it's on the older side. Do you happen to know if the usb ports are usb 1.0 or 2.0 ports?

Just for further details, at the bottom of the details in fastboot mode, it does say "Lock State - Unlocked", right?
  24. buddyallen1977

Yes. It does say Unlocked, and believe the ports are 1.0 my operating system is XP with service pack 3 and this is an old PC...about 12 years...lol. I had to do something's so will try those commands again, does it take awhile to send?
  25. jhawkkw

It will take a while because usb 1.0 ports have a much slower transfer rate than 2.0 or 3.0 ports.
    scary alien and buddyallen1977 like this.