• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] Insecure kernel for Galaxy Victory

xInterlopeRx

Android Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2012
Hudspeth County, Texas
This should kick off some development on this device.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! As often as possible we build things from scratch and while this yields better long term results it is more risky at the beginning. These files are the same boot.img made from source packed for convenience. But, first:

This is a set of generic instructions that should cover most situations you might encounter working with Samsung
devices, boot, recovery and roms. It is not intended to be exhaustive, but concise.

To flash a kernel with fastboot (assuming you have fastboot):
if you have adb on your computer run this command: adb reboot bootloader
if it goes into Download Mode run this command: fastboot devices
if the prompt returne the device serial number you can flash the recovery or boot image.
FOR RECOVERY: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
FOR BOOT: fastboot flash boot boot.img

To flash a kernel with ODIN flashing tool:
if you have adb use this command: adb reboot bootloader or adb reboot download
Once the device is in Download mode connect it to the computer. The first "Slot" will populate with
some info about your device and the smaller window will be yellow.
Make sure "repartition" does NOT have a check mark and make sure "reboot" has a check mark
From PDA find the .tar file you want to flash and let it RIP!

To flash a .zip in CWMR:
If you have adb use this command: adb reboot recovery
Once in recovery you will be presented with a menu; chose flash zip, not update zip
navigate to the file you want to flash and LET IT RIP!

If you need further instructions, find a member of OUDHS on IRC.

I don't have ODIN, Google if you need it.

Tools to get the job done:
www.waywardpilgrim.net/android/tools/Samsung_drivers.zip
www.waywardpilgrim.net/android/tools/CL-binary-win.zip <<< fastboot and adb for windows

The goddies:
www.waywardpilgrim.net/android/samsung/sph-l300/victory-test-1.tar
www.waywardpilgrim.net/android/samsung/sph-l300/boot.img

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Courtesy of your friendly neighborhood HITSQUAD!

Usually Samsung uses proprietary processors, like the Exynos line, that are not compatible with fast boot. This device, and the Galaxy Rush and Reverb, have Qualcomm processors which are compatible with fastboot. I've seen it work in either download mode or boot loader depending on the device. If you have the fastboot binaries on your computer whichever mode your device has can be tested with the command "fastboot devices" Since I don't own the device, and no one has joined to discuss such things I cannot say which this device has. Cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones