• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Insurance

I have a weird question hopefully someone could help me with. I am eligible for a 2 year upgrade on Nov. 1 and I wanna get the Hero. I loathe mail in rebates so obviously I will be buying it at Best Buy. What I'm wondering is if it is possible to then take the phone to Sprint and get their $7/month insurance. Or will they not allow me to add it since I did not buy the phone from a Sprint corporate store? thanks

The Sprint insurance can be added on any phone you have on the Sprint network. I have it on my phone. It's only $4/month, though. It does have a $50 deductible. BB's insurance offer is more per month, but has no deductible.

A warning, though, friends of mine have gotten the BB insurance on their phones and had a hell of a time getting it cancelled. They even told my one friend they could find no record of his insurance so they couldn't cancel it. He ended up having to put in a dispute on his CC. I'm sticking with the Sprint one myself.

Upvote 0
The Sprint insurance can be added on any phone you have on the Sprint network. I have it on my phone. It's only $4/month, though. It does have a $50 deductible. BB's insurance offer is more per month, but has no deductible.

A warning, though, friends of mine have gotten the BB insurance on their phones and had a hell of a time getting it cancelled. They even told my one friend they could find no record of his insurance so they couldn't cancel it. He ended up having to put in a dispute on his CC. I'm sticking with the Sprint one myself.
When is the last time you looked at, or had to use your insurance?

The old insurance plan had a straight 50 deductible for $4 a month. I believe under the new policy, its 50 for most non smart phones and 100 for smartphones, like the Blackberry, Pre and the Hero, at $7 a month.

Upvote 0
Call me a rebel but I always keep my old Sprint phone as a backup and decline insurance coverage. For what they charge I could buy another phone and there is always someone on craigslist trying to get rid of one.
This is what I'm thinking as well. I got insurance on the Moment for the very first time because Android is a new platform and who knows what types of issues the phone will have.

But I'm thinking I'll probably cancel insurance after 2-3 months.

Upvote 0
i love the insurance. i had a PPC6700. aka HTC Apache. i had it for awhile. and one day i broke my phone. put in a claim and two days later i had a touch pro. for 100 bucks and no extension on my plan. i think its worth it. i also pay 7 bucks a month.

a friend of mine had a mogul. went to best buy and baught the touch pro out right. then put in a claim for a "lost" phone activated his mogul for a few days got a TP in the mail and returned the other one to BB.

Upvote 0
This is what I'm thinking as well. I got insurance on the Moment for the very first time because Android is a new platform and who knows what types of issues the phone will have.

But I'm thinking I'll probably cancel insurance after 2-3 months.

I'm pretty sure any issues the phone could have due to android OS would not be your responsibility.

Upvote 0
Simple, ONE, Best Buy DOES NOT cover Lost or Stolen Phones!!!!

I purchased my hero at best buy for $175.00 and declined (to their dismay I might add) BB's service plan, and opted for the sprint ins. with the bb sales person. She set it all up. I got the ins plan card just yestrday in the mail stating that I have 3 replacment claims avail...and I have to pay $100 each time i do. Not a deductable, but a fee more or less. Remember that!!! It's not a one time fee of $100, everytime you send it in for replacments, it's $100 which if you think about it, it's a total of $168 for 2 years...and if you replace your phone all three times in that period...you pay a grand total $468 which is $300 less than if you have BB ins, and need the phone replaced ONE TIME. (they do not cover lost or stolen phones!)

Upvote 0
I've been through 5 phones in the 2 years of my plan. The insurance is cheap by comparison.

Do you eat them :) I had one problem when my wife gave my daughter her phone as a chew toy once but a cell repair place got all of the water out. How long do we have to add insurance? This thing is nice and sturdy but the screen is much bigger than my palm. Maybe I will reconsider.

Upvote 0
Do you eat them :) I had one problem when my wife gave my daughter her phone as a chew toy once but a cell repair place got all of the water out. How long do we have to add insurance? This thing is nice and sturdy but the screen is much bigger than my palm. Maybe I will reconsider.

LOL, don't quite eat them but I do ride them hard. I don't have a computer at home anymore, so my phone ( Moto Q9c ) is my computer. In fact, I am replying right now with my phone.Three had the same issue where it would not hibernate and would eat the SD card, one wouldn't charge, and one just died.

Upvote 0
Sprint - Total Equipment Protection
Phone Protection Solutions

If your device is lost, stolen, or exhibits liquid or physical damage, approved replacements will typically arrive in 1 business day when submitted by 7:30 p.m. Central Time.

And at only $7, the monthly fee is less expensive than the cost of an average lunch.

To be eligible for Total Equipment Protection, you must add it within 30 days of activating your phone, smart device or Sprint Mobile Broadband Card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones