• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint just declined me for service should I still get the phone?

yup yup... we hate Lexis Nexus... for those reasons - and there is no method to have them correct their information either.. :rolleyes:

Yes, we need to spread the word, C!

Sad, really, but they make money by compiling wrong information. If consumers don't complain or take action, Sprint will never make the change.

Reactions: clambert1273
Upvote 0
umm no. My family has been with verizon for the last 6 years and before that 2 years of tmobile. never had a sprint account opened. Also I have never opened a account on any carrier only my father and we were on a family plan. so what your saying is flawed.

I have stated before that i was approved on the spot but was later declined. They have even given me spending limit of $500 or something cant remember. They should have told me im declined right on the spot but instead told me i was fine and i just need to come in and pick up the phone.

Upvote 0
I called Radio Shack, Sprint, and Best Buy today and asked if I present my driver's license in-store, will it still be necessary for the credit department to attempt to call me to prove my identity. Both reps told me as long as I have a DL and SSN, I shouldn't have a problem. Two Best Buy reps had no idea, and the last said Sprint's Credit Department would definitely attempt to call me. I don't even know if I should waste my time showing up for my appointment tomorrow. The excitement has waned knowing that I probably won't get my phone until the reps at Equifax get off their asses and update my phone number - which they say could take 30 days.

Upvote 0
well went to sprint stores with my father and they opened an account for him in less then 10 min lollz. So i just have to get the Evo and activate it on his account. It seems it went fast because my father has had other cellphone carriers and has a "history" to back up his identity while i am new to it opening my fist account.

It seems if its your first account ever meaning never opened an account on any other cellphone service then they ask those random useless security question. Also they said if you get even 1 question wrong they will decline service. Anyways i will be getting evo tomorrow so im happy lollz. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Upvote 0
I called Radio Shack, Sprint, and Best Buy today and asked if I present my driver's license in-store, will it still be necessary for the credit department to attempt to call me to prove my identity. Both reps told me as long as I have a DL and SSN, I shouldn't have a problem. Two Best Buy reps had no idea, and the last said Sprint's Credit Department would definitely attempt to call me. I don't even know if I should waste my time showing up for my appointment tomorrow. The excitement has waned knowing that I probably won't get my phone until the reps at Equifax get off their asses and update my phone number - which they say could take 30 days.

You have your number on your credit reports? Have you disputed yet? :)

EQ is generally easier to dispute with. Pull your reports and check it out.

Upvote 0
It seems if its your first account ever meaning never opened an account on any other cellphone service then they ask those random useless security question. Also they said if you get even 1 question wrong they will decline service. Anyways i will be getting evo tomorrow so im happy lollz. Hope it lives up to the hype.

nope. i currently have 2 separate lines on t-mo.

Upvote 0
You have your number on your credit reports? Have you disputed yet? :)

EQ is generally easier to dispute with. Pull your reports and check it out.

Well, the number is listed in a consumer statement I added to my credit file several years ago. This supposedly would require any company I attempted to open an account with to call me at the numbers provided and verify all application info. (Some companies did, some didn't). The statement was to expire after seven years (last year), but apparently Equifax and Experian extended the expiration date when I updated my address and phone number a few years ago. I wish I had noticed this.

Yesterday, I faxed them the documents they need to update my file. Now I'm just waiting for them to make the corrections, crossing my fingers it won't take an entire month.

Upvote 0
I just got declined for service from Sprint. I have no idea why. They said they would send a letter in 7-10 days. I don't know if I answered one of the stupid identity questions wrong or if my credit is just that poor. I still have to have this phone though. It's truly what Ive been waiting for, but I don't want to look like an idiot carrying around a 450$ phone I can't use.

I live in Chicago and pretty much always near a hotspot including my home internet connection. Would that alleviate some of the downfall of not having access to a 3g/4g network. Is there any chance at all I'll be able to get this phone to work on another carrier.

1.) How did you apply for service? If you do it online, without speaking to someone from Sprint it is a soft credit check which means it is not reviewed by the credit department.

2.) Call Sprint's 800 number and request someone from the credit department. Years ago I did this and they were able to tell me exactly why I could not be approved. I actually had it taken care of that same day and was able to get activated with no deposit.

Upvote 0
Don't worry to much about it. My credit is in the 800's but I have a fraud alert on my account so they do the security questions. Once they asked something about my grandmother's roomate's uncle's bestfriend's DNA and blood type and I was denied for whatevery it was I was applying for. It got taken care of, but yeah sometimes those questions can be pretty tough to figure out. I prefer when they just ask me to confirm info on my report like who I have my vehicle and mortgage accounts with. Much easier.

Upvote 0
Well, the number is listed in a consumer statement I added to my credit file several years ago. This supposedly would require any company I attempted to open an account with to call me at the numbers provided and verify all application info. (Some companies did, some didn't). The statement was to expire after seven years (last year), but apparently Equifax and Experian extended the expiration date when I updated my address and phone number a few years ago. I wish I had noticed this.

Yesterday, I faxed them the documents they need to update my file. Now I'm just waiting for them to make the corrections, crossing my fingers it won't take an entire month.

Sounds like you have a fraud alert of sorts... IMHO, fraud alerts do more harm to the consumer than good. The bureaus tout them as a quick fix, and they can be hard to remove.

The thing is... few creditors even read comments. Those consumer statements we are allowed to add? Yep, few ever check em, which is why messes like this are created.

Anyhoo, unless you intend to NOT apply for stuff for a long time and/or are a victim of serious identity theft, I'd forgo fraud alerts.

And, Cris, know you didn't do anything wrong; the bureaus are simply horrible at doing what they are legally bound to do. :)

Upvote 0
That's because its become trendy to bash/hate sprint. People do it because other people do it. Sheep.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Thats exactly what it is... everyone I talk it loves the phone but says there's no service for sprint and its slow etc... etc... so they don't want to switch to sprint.. i get great service.. never have dropped calls.. when I was with AT&T (pacbell to cingular to AT&T and then again with the iphone) I ALWAYS got dropped calls... and verizon is expensive

Upvote 0
Sounds like you have a fraud alert of sorts... IMHO, fraud alerts do more harm to the consumer than good. The bureaus tout them as a quick fix, and they can be hard to remove.

The thing is... few creditors even read comments. Those consumer statements we are allowed to add? Yep, few ever check em, which is why messes like this are created.

Anyhoo, unless you intend to NOT apply for stuff for a long time and/or are a victim of serious identity theft, I'd forgo fraud alerts.

And, Cris, know you didn't do anything wrong; the bureaus are simply horrible at doing what they are legally bound to do. :)

Yes, it is a fraud alert that I added years ago after discovering accounts had been opened in my name. I rarely apply for credit and had the same phone number for years, so I wasn't really inconvenienced until now. Honestly, I should have been on the ball and updated my phone number a long time ago. It won't kill to me wait a week or even a month to buy my EVO while they update my file. I'm just impatient and wanted it on release day. :)
After this episode, I am considering removing the statement, but I'm not sure yet. I worry that the person who stole my SS card still has it or sold it. Knowing that most of the creditors I have established accounts with over the years have read the statement and called me gives me a little peace of mind. It'll be ten years since the theft next year with no fraudulent accounts opened, so at that time I might just let it expire.

Upvote 0
You need to deal with each bureau.

Here's the problem with fraud alerts. Some creditors won't give you service. They see it, see that you may have been the victim of ID theft, and decide to simply deny you service rather than verify that it is really you applying. IOWs, it's safer (for them, obviously) to avoid the risk.

To remove one, you may have to be fairly forceful. Pull a true copy of your reports from each bureau, and deal with them via CMRRR letters. You want a paper trail of every communication. Eq, TU and EX are known to ignore requests. Know your rights, and hold them accountable. In some cases, fraud alerts suit them just fine, because it makes there jobs infinitely easier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones