• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] (L720t) Odin & TWRP stock

This is for the L720T ONLY. I am not responsible for what you flash to your device..

Now this is the 4.4.2 NC6 Update (not rooted) Link! Dais Made Odin return to stock

And thanks to CNexus over at XDA we now have a rooted stock MK5 that I'm currently downloading to find out weather or not it's working fully and if it's an Odin tar or a CWM/TWRP flashable... either way here's the link.. http://cnexus.co/downloads/files/Misc/SPH-L720T_ROOTED_ODEXED_MK5.zip ALL THANKS TO CNEXUS AT XDA

TWRP 2.7.0.1 NC6 4.4.2 backup of rooted stock.

Make sure your recovery is TWRP 2.7.0.1, then make a backup of just one small partition(making the folders for us to follow).. like cache then reboot and go to a root file explorer.. like root browser or es file explorer. And copy/paste the whole file/folders I'm uploading in sdcard/TWRP/backups. Right next to the one you backed up.
Reboot back to TWRP and go to restore menu. Make sure the backup is there and restorable.. do a wipe of everything except internal storage and external.
Flashing may cause some slight fc's.. (force closes) this is to be expected.. it may even prevent you from singing in.. still try.. have patients.. if you can't at all.. (like the keyboard itself is fc-ing) do a battery pull and boot recovery. Wipe davlic and cache. Try again. It should still give problems.. but stable enough to sign in to gmail. Afterwards.. go directly to sprint zone.

(In this order) update prl, then firmware then software. (If not on NC6 this will update you to NC6 4.4.2)

Again go through the updates. And reboot.

Let google do its thing.. and your all set. Stock rooted and you can back this up as your own and get rid of mine.. lol ..

P.S. a factory reset may be needed afterwards too.

Dais Man's L720t Dev Folder On Mediafire

Reactions: Slayer72
This you can flash in odin from a PC. This will bring you to stock un-rooted. Stock system, kernel boot.img and stock recovery. Soon, idk how long yet, but shortly I'll have Odin with root stock. This way you can return to stock without needing to re-root.

So let's say i flashed this after doing the whole wipe cache, factory reset etc: it wouldn't mess up my phone but it would just set me back to a regular non-related device? (not going to do this obviously but just asking)

Also, you said flash from a PC. Is it possible to do this from our phone?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
1.Yes. And 2. I think so. I've never used it myself.. but I've heard it works great. Mobile Odin. Found on playstore. I still advise against it.. flashing anything comes with a risk.. that said. Flashing from the device... hmmm.. truthfully.. I don't think it's possible.. you would be replacing the system files from the system... no.. I would not risk that.. lol

Upvote 0
1.Yes. And 2. I think so. I've never used it myself.. but I've heard it works great. Mobile Odin. Found on playstore. I still advise against it.. flashing anything comes with a risk.. that said. Flashing from the device... hmmm.. truthfully.. I don't think it's possible.. you would be replacing the system files from the system... no.. I would not risk that.. lol

Lol I had to ask though. Each time I see a file I always think...will that totally mess up my phone or ? I'm definitely fine being rooted :)

Upvote 0
Lol very... getting frustrated ATM.. Lol I'll get it. I know What I'm doing wrong..

Sounded like a challenge :/ still currently running Carbon rom and enjoying it but I'd still like to have the stock rom as a backup (and yes, I made the same mistake you did and deleted it. I know, dumb move on my part smh) that's why I'm always checking this thread lol

Upvote 0
Well you can always Odin back to stock than let it boot. Sign in and all that. Than hop back in download mode Odin the cf autoroot file to reroot. Then grab rom installer to flash recovery (like in my tut) then make your backup. Of course you'd want to backup your current rom and put that on external sd. This way oOdin won't wipe it off internal.
After making a good stock (rooted) backup simply flash your carbon backup. ;) profit. ;)

Upvote 0
Well you can always Odin back to stock than let it boot. Sign in and all that. Than hop back in download mode Odin the cf autoroot file to reroot. Then grab rom installer to flash recovery (like in my tut) then make your backup. Of course you'd want to backup your current rom and put that on external sd. This way oOdin won't wipe it off internal.
After making a good stock (rooted) backup simply flash your carbon backup. ;) profit. ;)

Ah see...I don't have an external SD card..although I may invest in one soon. That way I can just have my ROMs on there.

Upvote 0
I'm slowed down because I'm also still working on a rom for our old S3 L710. And I'm trying to put out a rooted stock flashable zip for a base to make tw roms.

Ah the S3. I still recall mine and how new I was to rooting and flashing etc. I think we even got into a small tiff over something... I think I asked a question and you told me to Google it or something lol.

Anyway my S3 is taken apart in a local phone shop in town. All the internals and screen/lcd were good so that shop got a great parts phone.

Upvote 0
Also one more tip. I've done this for the first android I've ever had. The Samsung Galaxy Prevail. For Boost Mobile. I made several Themes for the a very popular rom called CT-Mod. They were all flashable themes designed for CWM/TWRP based recoverys.

Anyway this phone is very low end.. I believe less than 200MB free 'after' the slimmed down rom. Of course I was too broke to afford an sdcard.. so I uploaded my backups to dropbox. After "enjoying" one rom I'd backup upload flash a new rom.. then redownload. This was ONLY because I was very familiar with this phone and we had Odin's for every version rooted or not.. lol

Upvote 0
anyways you can still do as I suggested.. just don't wipe before flashing the Odin stock tar. unless you want to start all over with carbon. (I do this once a week now ;p)

Man I am really wishing I still had my stock backup. I don't have access to a PC or an SD card right now and have been experiencing some issues with the ROMs I've flashed (Mahdi's). I'd like to go back to stock but I literally have no way of going back. It's like I'm stuck :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones