• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] MDL root instructions please

Seems extremely straight forward. I tried Oden method previously but perhaps file I was using with it didnt work on mdl, or perhaps drivers were bad. All I know were the steps were the same and it said root failed.

I will try again today using the steps and files mentioned in the video.

.. I wonder if Developer mode should be activated, & USB bugging should be enabled. My phone has Dev mode active & usb debud enabled, but someone else might not know to do that before attempting root.

Upvote 0
It worked. Followed instructions exactly and I am ROOTED.

Sadly, I went a step further, rushed into do the WIFI hotspot.. put on the wrong odex/services jar and now I'm in Sprint yellow brick mode.

Ah but that is another thread..

Assuming you took a nandroid backup right after rooting (you did, right?), you should be able to restore back to that backup, and then flash the correct services files.

If you don't have a nandroid backup, you'll need to flash a MDL ROM (take a nandroid backup before/after that), and then try it again.

Upvote 0
Assuming you took a nandroid backup right after rooting (you did, right?), you should be able to restore back to that backup, and then flash the correct services files.

If you don't have a nandroid backup, you'll need to flash a MDL ROM (take a nandroid backup before/after that), and then try it again.

I've read NOT to use goomanager or rom manager to install recovery... What is the verdict?

Upvote 0
Not sure why somebody would recommend not to use goomanager. I've always used goomanager to install TWRP on my devices - hasn't caused any issues so far.

goomanager is nothing but a front end to a site that hosts files from developers. They provide an easy download option, and they check to find the file that is compatible to your phone. They also provide an easy way to reboot to recovery (instead of using the power/volume button combo).

If you don't want to use goomanager, you can always flash it (odin). Just make sure you download the version that is compatible with your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones