1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Sprint Plan Savings Strategy

Last Updated:

1. pb pedis

pb pedis Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have two EVO's, and I'm on the absolutely unlimited everything plan for both phones, which means that on a monthly basis I pay $190 for the plans, plus $20 for the EVO's (that's the $10 fee times two EVO's).

Now, if I moved down to unlimited everything plan except for calls to landlines, I could save a lot. As I understand that plan, all calls to any cell phone are unlimited, but I would have a minutes cap on land line calls during the day on weekdays.

So, can I use some kind of App to make land line calls during the day on weekdays and avoid the charge to my limited land line minutes? I would want an App that allows calls to be received and placed. I think there is an App for that, but it requires a new number to be registered?

Any suggestions on how to achieve my intentions using an App would be much appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member

No. Google Voice will register as landline and Skype is not available.

3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

wingbeepro, sipvox, fring, sipdroid jsut to name some?

all are in the market...I have not tried any of them as I have NEVER reached my limit of landline calling on the above mentioned plan.

EasyEEE likes this.
  4. pb pedis

Mr. Ed, do those apps incur land line minutes when placing calls to land lines?

5. batman61

batman61 Member

There are several methods. Here is a good reference document to learn about some of the configuration options to use with Google Voice:

google-voice-sipsorcery-dialplans - Project Hosting on Google Code

With some of the options described in that document/wiki, you can configure Sipdroid to make and receive free calls through your Google Voice number using data minutes instead of voice minutes.

6. Never!?

Never!? Well-Known Member

Off Topic, sorta: If you want to save even more money, see if your work has a corporate discount. Most places do. Ive heard they range from 15%-28% off not including the $10.

Just saying.

7. EasyEEE

EasyEEE Well-Known Member

Do you really make that many calls to landlines? We have 4 phones on the 1500 minute plan (3 are used normally) and we don't go over.

We used 287 + 137 + 115 + 12 = 551 anytime minute last month, with over 1600+ mobile to mobile.

I had the most, and those were a lot of calls to cable company during cable issues and a federal govt office to deal with selling my house.

8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

no idea :D

9. ceabbott2

ceabbott2 Well-Known Member

Same here. We have five phones and the 1500 minute everything familyand we only used 500 landline minutes last month.:)

10. chum1600

chum1600 Well-Known Member

I agree with this person. I have 4 phones on my line and we never go over 500 minutes a month to landlines.

11. pb pedis

I wish I could say I won't go over the 1500 minutes, but my wife uses those land line minutes like a fiend.

12. pb pedis

Actually your post is very much on topic - it's precisely to use my large corporate discount that I want to drop to the lower level plan. The corporate discount does not apply to the totally unlimited everything plans, only the plans with caps.

13. pb pedis

Batman, thanks a lot for this post and the link. Although it appears to be beyond my own technical abilities (I have no idea what most of the words mean in that document/wiki), at least I have something to try now.

14. aleesara01

aleesara01 Active Member

I second the sentinment of those who have replied above about not going over their minutes. We have 5 phones on our plan and end up using around 750ish minutes a month (w/7-8,000 mtm minutes). Before we had the 3000 minute plan and used around 2700 per month...