Sprint preinstalled appsGeneral

1. bls

bls Well-Known Member

In case anyone was wondering, these were the apps preinstalled** when I activated my Samsung Galaxy S4 on 4/28/13 with Sprint. I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm a little exhausted just looking at all the bloatware on there that I don't want (CBS Sports? Really?).

** Actually some of these are apps that come free with the phone but are _not_ preinstalled, like Lookout Security, Scout, 1Weather, etc.

I'll put an asterisk next to the apps I'm not familiar with. If anyone has a brief explanation of what they're used for, and whether they are worth keeping, let me know. (I don't plan to root so it's possible I'm just stuck with some of these.)

Edit: As I learn about the apps I'll remove the asterisk and add a brief description.

Calculator
    Calendar
    Camera
    Chrome
    Clock
    Contacts
    Downloads
    Dropbox
    Email
    * Flipboard
    Gallery
    Gmail
    Google
    Google Settings
    Google+
    * Group Play
    Help
    Internet
    Local
    Lumen Toolbar [a replacement toolbar for the homescreen that can be swiped sideways to reveal additional shortcuts]
    Maps
    Messaging
    Messenger (google)
    Music
    My Files
    Navigation
    Optical Reader [does OCR for text as well QR codes (but does not recognize barcodes at all). I tried this with a business card and it got about 80-90% of the text correctly converted into a phone contact. One odd thing: although it relies on the camera, it will not scan text correctly if the phone is held landscape-style - only works well in portrait mode]
    Phone
    Play Books
    Play Magazines
    Play Movies & TV
    Play Music
    Play Store
    Polaris Office 5
    S Health
    S Memo
    S Translator
    S Voice
    Samsung Apps
    Samsung Hub [Sammy's app and media content-selling store.]
    Samsung Link ["Share & Play content across smart devices anytime anywhere"]
    Settings
    Sprint Worldwide [odd little app that is basically a single help page for international travelers]
    Sprint Zone
    Story Album [app for making photo albums with the option to have them printed as books]
    Talk
    TripAdvisor
    Video
    Voice Recorder
    Voice Search
    Voicemail
    VPN Client
    WatchON [serves as a browser for your TV service provider's guide as well as a multimedia remote control; you can also give it your Netflix login, and it prompts you to (optionally) create a Samsung account as well]
    YouTube
    BaconReader [a free Reddit reader]
    Lookout Security [antivirus, lost phone locator, etc]
    1Weather
    Scout [GPS app]
    CBS Sports
    Sprint Music Plus
    Sprint TV & Movies

Advertisement
    :
  2. GatorfanDroid

GatorfanDroid Well-Known Member

Dang that is a lot of apps . darn u samsung.
  3. bls

bls Well-Known Member

It's not that bad. Several are in your app drawer when you start up the phone for the first time, but they are not actually installed. Those icons are there to indicate the phone gets them for free from the Google Play store. The first time you tap them they reroute you to the Play store and give you the option to download them. So they clutter up your app drawer but don't take up space in memory.
  4. GatorfanDroid

GatorfanDroid Well-Known Member

Well that is good that they are not actually installed helps a bunch.