• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sprint PRL Updates Thread (Latest PRL 21090)

Here is my two cents...

1. PRL /PRI can cause issues with speed and overall connectivity. It is telling your phone which towers to use and how to interface with those towers.

2. This would not be related to root / no root phones. It will be universal among all 3D's regardless of ROM.

3. Speed tests vary from moment to moment so remember to take those with a grain of salt!

4. The Evo 4G tweak noted above (to me) has no value and certainly no impact on the issue you guys are seeing. I did that months ago and the Sprint proxies are just as fast / slow as no proxy at all. That's just my experience. Some report night and day differences after making those proxy settings. What did they use to measure this with? See point #3, lol

5. I decided to test out the new PRL that is causing you all so much angst... and here is the kicker.... It increased my over all speeds! Not only with speedtest but with file downloads! lol (take it with a grain of salt)

6. Everything is relative. It all depends on where you live to be honest with you. Don will see different results than I will see, than Carrie will see with identical hardware and software. Heck, if all three of us were standing right next to each other we would all see somewhat different results.

I hope that explains a little more and doesn't confuse anything. If you need me to explain my points in further detail I would be happy to but I need to go to work :(

I'm sure you are very knowlegable, but this is a widespread issue. As soon as I took the update I was stuck in 1X. As soon as I reverted back I was back to 3G. This is all while sitting at the same spot at my desk. Prior to taking the prl I was right around 400kbps-600kbps d/l. After I was at 60-130kbps. This is all sitting in the same spot. And again my phone was clearly stuck in 1x. When I reverted back I was in 3g and speed tests showed I was getting 300kbps-400kbps. I did the proxy setting fix (something I've tried before without much difference), but I followed the instructions of restoring the phone(something I hadn't done before). After restore I was getting 900-1200kbps(peak was 1400kbps). Again this is sitting in the same exact spot. So there is a problem with this PRL and how it effects 3G. I hope you continue to be problemless, but this isn't a made up issue.

I'm curious too. I have never seen this poor of 3G service EVER. Thank goodness I was at least able to revert back but even doing that it is still pretty slow. :( I am trying to be optimistic and think that they are doing tower work. I'm going to test when I get home to see if I get those full 4G bars again.

Oh, and just a thought for the instructions. I'm sure I'm not the only sap who was using a third-party dialer so maybe it would be a good idea to preface the instructions by saying that you need to use the stock dialer. I thought I was going nuts this morning!!! OK, I've always been a little nuts... :D

I suggest you try the proxy fix and don't allow the prl to update after the restore.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Oh and thanks for reminding me...

Time of day will have a HUGE impact on all of this!

What you get at 3:00AM is not what you are going to get during peak network usage. For example, the network will haul ass at 3:00am on Monday morning but will be notable slower at Noon that same day.

Network traffic will slow ya right down!

That is true but in my case it was left-handed (a.k.a. opposite--I'm left-handed and do everything backwards ;) ) I had decent speeds during the day yesterday and crappy ones at 4:45 this morning when I began posting!

Upvote 0
I'm curious too. I have never seen this poor of 3G service EVER. Thank goodness I was at least able to revert back but even doing that it is still pretty slow. :( I am trying to be optimistic and think that they are doing tower work. I'm going to test when I get home to see if I get those full 4G bars again.

Oh, and just a thought for the instructions. I'm sure I'm not the only sap who was using a third-party dialer so maybe it would be a good idea to preface the instructions by saying that you need to use the stock dialer. I thought I was going nuts this morning!!! OK, I've always been a little nuts... :D

I'm sure this has to do with the tower upgrades and Dan Hesses *big* announcement this fall. I'm sure Sprint knows they borked it are working on a fix...... I hope. ;)

Upvote 0

What you get at 3:00AM is not what you are going to get during peak network usage. For example, the network will haul ass at 3:00am on Monday morning but will be notable slower at Noon that same day.

I hear this all the time, but this doesn't hold true here in Atlanta. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is, my speeds are usually consistent. It's obviously a logical statement and makes sense, it just doesn't seem to play out in the real world.

Upvote 0

Time of day does actually make a diference especially if you are in a highly populated area but this prl definitely had me on 1x only though. Anyway glad we all got it worked out since sprint seems to be totally useless on this issue.

Upvote 0
I hear this all the time, but this doesn't hold true here in Atlanta. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is, my speeds are usually consistent. It's obviously a logical statement and makes sense, it just doesn't seem to play out in the real world.

Well falconey, I am in atlanta as well and I get a varying degree of speeds depending on the time of day and I can reproduce the same results on a daily basis. During the day time hours speeds seem to be around 600kbps to about 900kbps with a ping averaging at around 160, this is from about 8am to mid afternoon. From mid afternoon to about midnight speeds drop to around 280kbps to about 600kbps with ping times at around 200. But late at night things seem to get more interesting. Late night to the wee hours of the morning I easily average 2meg to 2.5meg on every single speed test with ping times at around 120 on average. Again I can reproduce these results on any given day. I am on the southside, clayton county.

EDIT: I attached a couple screen shots, again on a daily the basis the results are basically the same. This is 3g speeds.

Attachments

• 2011-09-01_11-56-36.jpg
    2011-09-01_11-56-36.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 2011-09-01_04-39-21.jpg
    2011-09-01_04-39-21.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0
Time of day does actually make a diference especially if you are in a highly populated area but this prl definitely had me on 1x only though. Anyway glad we all got it worked out since sprint seems to be totally useless on this issue.

Yup, did the proxy fix too. And no, I did not allow the prl to update after getting off of the new one. I'm going to hold off on that and wait to see what happens. As for the time of day...I was backwards. Was fast during the day yesterday but slow at 4:45 this morning!

Upvote 0
Yup, did the proxy fix too. And no, I did not allow the prl to update after getting off of the new one. I'm going to hold off on that and wait to see what happens. As for the time of day...I was backwards. Was fast during the day yesterday but slow at 4:45 this morning!

Yeah, I tried the proxy fix on my evo 4g in the past and it didn't make a difference and for the hell of it I tried on my 3d and it still didn't make a difference. In any case I am really curious what sprint is doing though, this cant just be a mistake.

Upvote 0
I'm sure you are very knowlegable, but this is a widespread issue. As soon as I took the update I was stuck in 1X. A

Dude, that's what I am saying...

Im not doubting you or anyone else at all. I said its all based on location. We are all going to have different results. For me I improved (honestly).

Sorry if I didn't make it clear that I am agreeing with what everyone is seeing. I am just trying to shed more light on it so people can have a broader understanding of what could be causing these anomalies.

Im not doubting you or anyone one else. Just shedding some light as to why.

Upvote 0

Are you tying to say that internet (or any network for that matter) latency and throughput is not affected by usage patterns? Really? I know MANY network administrators that would disagree with that, lol

Maybe in ATL they have some top notch routers but as far as the rest of the world goes usage patterns can adversely affect performance.

Isn't Sprint based in ATL? That may be why... The prolly have the best of the best servers? Jut thinkin out loud on that one... Dont really know...

Well falconey, I am in atlanta as well and I get a varying degree of speeds depending on the time of day and I can reproduce the same results on a daily basis. During the day time hours speeds seem to be around 600kbps to about 900kbps with a ping averaging at around 160, this is from about 8am to mid afternoon. From mid afternoon to about midnight speeds drop to around 280kbps to about 600kbps with ping times at around 200. But late at night things seem to get more interesting. Late night to the wee hours of the morning I easily average 2meg to 2.5meg on every single speed test with ping times at around 120 on average. Again I can reproduce these results on any given day. I am on the southside, clayton county.

EDIT: I attached a couple screen shots, again on a daily the basis the results are basically the same. This is 3g speeds.

You are seeing EXACTLY what I am describing as normal.

Yeah, I tried the proxy fix on my evo 4g in the past and it didn't make a difference and for the hell of it I tried on my 3d and it still didn't make a difference. In any case I am really curious what sprint is doing though, this cant just be a mistake.

Because it doesn't do anything for normal usage. I believe that the proxy is for specific applications to use if they choose. Those apps are generally streaming media apps like YouTube. If you are getting constant buffering in YouTube and the like then modding those proxies may help. BUT... Like any proxy server conditions can be worse than direct connects. If you get one million people on a single proxy server and only 10 people directly connecting to the actual server... Who d you think will get best through put? lol

Anyways, I hope no one takes offense but what I have said here.

-Scott

Upvote 0
Are you tying to say that internet (or any network for that matter) latency and throughput is not affected by usage patterns? Really? I know MANY network administrators that would disagree with that, lol

Maybe in ATL they have some top notch routers but as far as the rest of the world goes usage patterns can adversely affect performance.

Isn't Sprint based in ATL? That may be why... The prolly have the best of the best servers? Jut thinkin out loud on that one... Dont really know...

You are seeing EXACTLY what I am describing as normal.

Because it doesn't do anything for normal usage. I believe that the proxy is for specific applications to use if they choose. Those apps are generally streaming media apps like YouTube. If you are getting constant buffering in YouTube and the like then modding those proxies may help. BUT... Like any proxy server conditions can be worse than direct connects. If you get one million people on a single proxy server and only 10 people directly connecting to the actual server... Who d you think will get best through put? lol

Anyways, I hope no one takes offense but what I have said here.

-Scott

In regards to system speeds. I've been at work at many times of the day. I work in what's called the perimeter mall area. People from Atlanta know this to be a very high traffic area, but it slows a lot at night. Either way I get consistent speeds in this area no matter what time of day(Usually 500-600kbps 3G and 6-7mbs 4G. .

At home it's the same scenario. I live in the Johns Creek/alpharetta. This is a high traffic residential area. During the day when everyone should be at work or in the early morning hours when everyone should be sleep, I consistently get the same speeds as any other time of the day(Usually 400-500kbps 3G and 4-5mbs 4G).

Sorry if I came off aggressive or offended, but I was just throwing out my real world experience. Maybe, based on my speeds, the areas I'm in are always peak. I'd love to see a bump in performance during off peak hours.

Upvote 0

I'm impressed. Are you really close to a tower? I've never hit 2mbs on 3G.

Upvote 0
In regards to system speeds. I've been at work at many times of the day. I work in what's called the perimeter mall area. People from Atlanta know this to be a very high traffic area, but it slows a lot at night. Either way I get consistent speeds in this area no matter what time of day(Usually 500-600kbps 3G and 6-7mbs 4G. .

At home it's the same scenario. I live in the Johns Creek/alpharetta. This is a high traffic residential area. During the day when everyone should be at work or in the early morning hours when everyone should be sleep, I consistently get the same speeds as any other time of the day(Usually 400-500kbps 3G and 4-5mbs 4G).

Sorry if I came off aggressive or offended, but I was just throwing out my real world experience. Maybe, based on my speeds, the areas I'm in are always peak. I'd love to see a bump in performance during off peak hours.

No worries man... Its all good! Your 3G sucks. I live in Fargo and get about 1.5Meg down on 3G. Varies, from 1.5 to .5... But usually respectable. But at least you get 4G. They have it one area of Fargo and that's about 2 miles from home and two miles from work (actually in the dead middle) If I stop on the highway halfway between home and work I can get the signal. But Im not gonna do that, too many staties in the AO. lol

Upvote 0
No worries man... Its all good! Your 3G sucks. I live in Fargo and get about 1.5Meg down on 3G. Varies, from 1.5 to .5... But usually respectable. But at least you get 4G. They have it one area of Fargo and that's about 2 miles from home and two miles from work (actually in the dead middle) If I stop on the highway halfway between home and work I can get the signal. But Im not gonna do that, too many staties in the AO. lol

Wow you live in Fargo? I've been there a few times. Lots of snow. I may be there again Oct.

Upvote 0
Chalk me as another rooted idiot that took the PRL update and then needing to downgrade. Just gotta love .13Mbps speeds on 3G. Downgrading back to 21081 brought me back to my normal .80-.95Mbps.

4G speeds were normal no matter which PRL I was running.

I know what you mean, believe me! I am hoping that all this craziness means they are improving the towers.

Upvote 0
Well if this is any consolation, I have noticed the past few days at work my 3G has been really slow, and I have not even updated to the latest PRL

I also noticed another thing today, I would assume the 4G shuts off by default if you are not in a 4G coverage, because I know a few times I check my phone and my 4G was turned off, and had to turn ti back on, don't know what that is all about, or maybe on reboots they get disabled.

I know what you mean, believe me! I am hoping that all this craziness means they are improving the towers.

Reactions: CarrieK
Upvote 0
Well if this is any consolation, I have noticed the past few days at work my 3G has been really slow, and I have not even updated to the latest PRL

I also noticed another thing today, I would assume the 4G shuts off by default if you are not in a 4G coverage, because I know a few times I check my phone and my 4G was turned off, and had to turn ti back on, don't know what that is all about, or maybe on reboots they get disabled.

4G will shut off when you are not in a coverage area, but it should also rescan periodically as long as 4G is enabled. It doesn't turn off from a reboot. You should have an icon showing you when 4G is not connected(when 4G is enabled).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones