• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Release Date & Pricing?

dyh

Jun 3, 2010
I guess no one knows this yet, but I thought I'd make a thread about it in case any new info comes up. I'm considering holding off on getting the Evo and looking at this phone. Here are some thoughts I had.

I think the regular Galaxy S is only for T Mobile? Now with Swype I'm not sure if I even need a hardware keyboard.

There's also the cost, and since it has things like 8 or 16 GB RAM I have a feeling it will be pricier than the Evo, although there's no word yet on a contract bundle price. I heard about $1000 without contract.

But it does look like a nice phone though. No 30 fps cap like with the Evo and 1 GHz CPU with a specially designed GPU, supposedly together better than the Snapdragon. The screen at 4" is almost as big and is Super AMOLED. And it's also supposed to have a Wimax radio!

I already have an Evo and am enjoying it. But still having a hard time getting used to the lack of a physical keyboard. I love the screen for most UI interactions and web browsing, but I am still finding it too slow and awkward to knock out texts quickly. Even Swype, which some people have suggested is not all that great an option compared to a keyboard. I am hoping that the Galaxy S Pro comes to Sprint so I at least have another option for an Android phone with keyboard. I can't imagine it would be $1000 without a contract however! I sure hope not anyway, as I would potentially be selling my Evo and getting the Galaxy S Pro without the discount.

Upvote 0
Afaik it's just a rumor Samsung Galaxy S Launching In June For only $1,000USD | Androidheadlines.com

I think Swype takes a bit of time to get used to, but I thought it was pretty cool. I guess it does take up a good deal of the screen even though you can toggle it, so that's a plus for a hardware keyboard; being able to keep the keyboard off the screen. I have a touch pro currently and it's so laggy that switching display modes is annoying, but with better hardware it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I guess it's good to have the hardware keyboard as an option, but honestly I'm undecided. I may not even want one if there's a virtual text input method that's easy to use.

Upvote 0
I guess the biggest thing for me to consider with this new release is whether the 4G radio may be stronger. I'll admit I am a sucker for a fantastic screen. Battery life is always another concern. I'm am absolutely happy with the EVO & its flash lite. I assume once flash is actually released, that it will get to the GSpro?

Upvote 0
I don't think anyone knows how much it will cost for sure and there are only rumors, but I think the Galaxy S just got released overseas, so my guess is that the pricing will be similar when it comes to the states?

It does have some more technology than the Evo, such as 8 or 16 GB of internal memory, Super AMOLED screen, Hummingbird CPU and GPU, and of course a keyboard.

As to if and how much that will increase the price of the phone I don't think anyone outside of certain people at Samsung and Sprint know, but again, maybe it's similar to the Galaxy S pricing overseas? Is that usually the case, or do contracts and pricing around the world vary a lot?

Edit: There is some British Galaxy S pricing information at the bottom of this page: Hands on: Samsung Galaxy S review | News | TechRadar UK

The phone is at no extra charge with 2 of those contracts, which are also 18 months long, vs 24 like we have in the states. Doesn't look like a bad deal except for the internet usage, or lack thereof.

Upvote 0
Well, this phone certainly has sparked my interest. I just checked out a british unboxing & overview video. It seemed very interesting and the guy just couldn't stop emphasizing the display. I just can't wait to see it for myself in a store. Aside from that, I was very much surprised that my EVO's screen is sharper than the Incredibles'. I'm sure the super amoled will blow them both out of the picture though. I'm going to use this thread to try and stay up to date on this Sprint device. So if anyone finds anything new info, post away. I'll try to do the same.

Upvote 0
I guess we'll also have to see what Samsung has up its sleeve on june 29th. Hopefully its something fantastic that we can all have. Because I use Sprint, I hope they get a super slice of that pie too. We'll just have to wait and see. For now, back to the speculations! I just want to see what a super amoled screen looks like in person. Anyone seen one in person yet?

Upvote 0
This device may be available in August time frame depending on the Samsung's inventory. The AMOLED screen is badly depleted especially 1 million units launched in Europe few weeks ago. This device most likely will price the same way as HTC EVO as it carries 1GHz CPU/GPU and WiMax. You can start the $10 extra charge winding thread again.

Upvote 0
Well, if all the users bitched at Sprint they might take notice. Of course I know corporations are ultimately about the bottom line no matter what kind of sleazy language they use about the customer being #1.

Hopefully charges like that will disappear once all the carriers move to a faster network. Sprint knows it's #3. And I read an article that suggested T Mobile may fold this year or next, but that's of course speculation.

But really I wish Google would release Gizmo5 and get into the wireless game. That way it should be possible to move to data only with calls being over VOIP. And hopefully it would drive prices down and get rid of this stupid minutes thing.

Upvote 0
While I will never WANT a price increase, if it is necessary for Sprint to stay afloat, bring it. After discounts I pay $82 a month (before taxes) on two lines with unlimited (essentially) everything. If they raise their fees $20 per line, it would still be a lot cheaper than the competition.

People are bitching because they're cheap. Sure Sprint could have handled it better, but oh well...get over it. Everyone seems to want Sprint to be a top tier wireless company by offering the best plans, best prices, and best phones. It's debatable, but I'd say they have all of that now - even with the price increase. Do not bitch about being on the winning team just because there is now a slightly less margin of victory.

Upvote 0
Pic

Attachments

• ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0
I hope Google gets into the mobile phone game and offers either free, free with advertising, or low cost service Google buys GIPS for $68 million - to take on Skype? Apple? Microsoft? - Disruptive Telephony and I hope they do it soon.

Edit: Here's another article on Gizmo 5. It was written in April so hopefully a beta release is coming! http://www.greghughes.net/rant/DesktopAppForGoogleVoiceInTheWorks.aspx

My guess is that there's a Moment 2 and a Galaxy S Pro, however it would be nice if the Galaxy S Pro is released July 11!

Upvote 0
It wouldn't make sense to release a moment 2 and galaxy s pro..the hero came out then the moment with a faster processor.. the EVO came out and the moment 2/intercept / galaxy s pro comes out with a faster processor (hummingbird).... it just makes sense... moment 2 and galaxy s pro look very similar... I believe moment 2 was a prototype.... it wouldn't make sense to release a non 4g moment 2 with a slow processor...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones