• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] Rooting-Round 2. New phone

redstepchild

Jan 11, 2012
So.. I cracked the screen on my phone. Bought that super extended battery pack n special protective cover to fit from Amazon.. its CRAP!

Over the next few weeks I will be going into the land of newb phone. Feel free to advise me as I progress can dang I forgot how I ended up rooting.

First step.. gotta save my stuff from my phone. Pics, make a list of aps, etc.

I know.. titanium backup youll say..

Then.. I gotta unroot my phone & return it to stock state.

Then, gotta order the replacement phone..

Get my updates when I get it before rooting. how do I know im fully updating before rooting?

Then gotta root. Last time I had trouble with this when I did it after installing updates. I had to go stock then root.

Then, get my wifi native hotspot going on. If those new updates mess this tweak up.. speak now please!

If nothing else, some newb will learn from my journey.

I'll update you as I progress. Right now im on back up to sd card and reverse rooting.

Thanks for your help.

1) Backup: Your accounts should take care of this if you've installed them. Google will handle contacts, Samsung will handle Text/MMS and call log, dump your photos into DropBox if you've completed the 50GB bonus steps. And yes, TB will handle app data.

2) Unroot and Stock: Depending on the modifications made, you may simply have to use your SU app's unroot function, flash the stock recovery back and then wipe the phone. If you did more than that, there are links on XDA describing how to return to stock.

3) Update the New Phone: Skip initial setup and download all firmware updates until your version is MF9. Perform a factory reset so there's no software conflicts that cause overheating and other issues. No, rooting will not be blocked.

4) Root the New Phone: Make sure you use the Sprint download!
QbKing77 | Your Tech Simplified

5) Before anything else, install Recovery and make a stock backup: Takes just 10 seconds

6) Native WiFi Hotspot Hack: Make sure you use MF9 Odexed!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones