Sprint (Sacramento) says you will no longer get 4G with this phone...General

1. heyjoojoo

heyjoojoo Well-Known Member

I went into a Sprint store to ask them if they were going to do something about their 4G coverage. And the rep told me that because their modifying their towers that with this Galaxy S2, that I will eventually get no 4G because of this "modification". Is this correct???

Advertisement
    :
  2. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

I really don't see how that's possible since it is WiMax capable, if so then all of sprints WiMax phones won't function properly?

Don't see that happening honestly until sprint phases out WiMax when lte expands dramatically.

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2
  3. davis.rob

davis.rob Well-Known Member

Well, I guess that's technically true ... just a question of how long "eventually" is? The "modification" would be the switch from WiMax to LTE. The E4GT will only work with WiMax, so you'll get 4G as long as that's available ... but it won't work with the new LTE coverage.

I don't believe they're disabling WiMax for quite a while (like a few years), but they're not adding any new coverage. They're trying to build out the LTE network as fast as possible.
  4. timmertc

timmertc Well-Known Member

They were probably referring to the eventual phase-out of WiMax. I don't believe they are expanding Wi-Max coverage at all anymore, just focusing on LTE expansion.

Edit: Drat, Davis.Rob beat me to it.
  5. kevincott

kevincott Well-Known Member Contributor

The last time I saw, the estimation for ending WiMax is late 2013 or early 2014
  6. greenghost2212

greenghost2212 Well-Known Member

No disrespect but u all are wrong (including the sprint employee) wimax isn't ending till at least 2015 and then it might go on a lil longer depends on clearwire and 4g wimax is still working