Sprint says even True GPS requires a cdma/EvDo connection.General

Last Updated:

1. paranoid_android

paranoid_android Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This isn't true GPS then. This sounds like aGPS.

When I put my Samsung Moment in Airplane mode, I cannot get a GPS fix. For starters, true GPS shouldn't have anything to do with Airplane mode, as it is a receiver only, and transmits nothing...just like a plain old FM radio (tiny, tiny reflections aside, of course). Secondly, when I'm not in A/P mode, but enter a dead zone, I again cannot get a GPS fix. I've tried the #GPSCLRX#MSLnumber fix, and this didn't change anything. When I called sprint to ask what was up, their "advanced" tech support said "of course; if you're in Airplane mode, how can it send a signal out?" This showed no understanding of GPS whatsover, but alas she was correct in effect. No cell network: no GPS.

What's odd, is that even though I have disable "use networks" in the locations settings, I still DO get a (fast) fix if the phone radio is on and I have a signal.

Anyone want to shed some light on this?

Advertisement
  2. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

I think it's just Samsung's crappy phone (I dropped my Moment like a hot-cake for the Hero the moment *pun* the issues started pouring in). I just threw my Evo into airplane mode, then checked google maps. Granted, there's no actual map on screen, because there's no connection to pull the data in, but it's still got my location down to 5 meters. I'm sitting at my desk, in my room, to boot.

Samsung phones are just crippled in the GPS department (Galaxy S phones, the intercept, the Moment, anything Android from Sammy). It's un-reliable, and inaccurate on them. Granted, a phone's GPS system is usually not it's first intent, but they just miss the boat completely, and repeatedly jump again, and again, into this problem with every phone they release.

I don't know what to tell you on this, other than it's the phone. You'll just have to live with only being to able to use GPS if you have signal to help it get a rough lock on your location.

3. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Ok, my Droid 1 isnt activated anymore. I'm using the X. I opened GPS Test app. When I put the phone in Airplane Mode eventually GPS got cut off. Take it off Airplane Mode and it works again. Ok fine....

Since my Droid 1 isnt activated anymore its not using cellular networks anymore. Even with Wifi off the GPS still works on my Droid 1.

The GPS Test get Accuracy to 2 meters, 10 sats in view, 9 in use. U called it, thats aGPS thats using cellular networks..

Edit: now with Airplane Mode on again, I still see sats in GPS Test....strange...lol

Edit 2: yea, after a few minutes with Airplane Mode on I STILL see sats...I did have to have Wifi on to get driving directions and to get My Location to work tho..

4. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I've had my moment in airlane mode and run the gps before and gotten intermittent gps signals out of it. I think the phone just has such a weak gps receiver in it that it needs the radio signal to know where to start looking for the satts. Half the time I struggle getting a signal with everything turned on...

5. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

The Moment and from what I've gleaned, most if not all phones use aGPS which need antenna triangulation to work properly. I've read that this is because of power usage and limited antenna area. I just tested my Moment with airplane mode and it was able to lock, but took significantly longer to do so. Also, I had 2 Moments before my current one that had abysmal GPS performance and there are more than a few similar reports by others here . If your GPS sucks, get your phone swapped out. the Galaxy S phones also seem to have GPS issues, so it would seem that Samsung has room to improve on that front. My wifes Epic doesn't lock as fast or seem as accurate as my Moment in the brief tests we've made. Maybe I'll test out the GPS on the wifes now deactivated Pre when I get home this evening.

jroc, are you putting the Droid into airplane mode when you check the gps? Just because it's not activated for calls doesn't mean it can't triangulate off the towers as long as the radio is on.

6. one80oneday

one80oneday Well-Known Member

Are there GPS programs that don't use the internet?

7. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

8. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I just tried again today. With Airplane Mode on first, and GPS off, I cant connect to sats when I turn GPS on.

I left GPS on and turned Airplane Mode off, GPS connected. I turned Airplane Mode back on, and GPS is still connected. Now after a few minutes I'm not connected to any sats now.

Yea it looks like Airplane Mode on is having an effect on connecting to satellites....

9. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

Here's my 2 cents. Just took a trip this weekend from northern Virginia to Myrtle Beach South Carolina using my moment's gps. There were many occasions on back country roads with ZERO data signal (x on the bars) and the GPS location stayed locked and updated on the (pre-downloaded) map. There were a couple times sight seeing over the weekend however where i would try to load up gps in the dead zones and it wouldn't lock. So it seems some data signal is required to aid the phone in locking the gps location but not to maintain the lock.

10. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Samsung just can't seem to get their GPS issues worked out...