• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint says my warranty is void by installing third party software

gh0atd

Dec 28, 2009
I am sorta shocked, only for the fact that he freakd out that I had installed a new custom boot screen and told him that rooting doesn't neccessarily remove anything sprint puts on the phone. I guess more shocked that he knew what it was.

Regardless, if I own the phone, I am going to do what ever hat I want to it even if it voids the warranty because that shouldn't be an issue.

Most people are probably already aware of this considering that most rooting guides, even the one at the top of this page says:

2.If I root my phone does it void the warranty?
a.Yes.

However is done properly and unrooted should you need to return your phone or have work done then Sprint will never know. However its probably noted on your account now that you have voided your warranty.

Upvote 0
ummm... of course rooting voids the warranty.. you have changed the phone from how it was delivered to you.. Sprint of course is no longer required or expected to support you or the phone... thought that was a well known fact since the subject has come up a million times..

of course, if you HAD to have Sprint service it.. just RUU it before taking it to them..

Upvote 0
From the user guide: "(a) Product subjected to abnormal use or conditions, accident, mishandling, neglect, unauthorized alteration, misuse, improper installation or repair or improper storage; "

So anything you do to the phone could void the warrantee. Screen protector, phone skin, even PDAnet being on your phone. Since Sprint doesn't authorize tethering, they wouldn't authorize loading PDAnet. I am sure if they want to, they could get out of any warrantee claim. I say use your phone as you please and change it back if you need it repaired.

Upvote 0
When my first Hero stopped receiving phone calls, I took it in and the tech claimed I voided my warranty by downloading an app from the marketplace. I informed his supervisor I downloaded the app upon the request of the manager in a nearby store and they replaced my defective phone. I wouldn't call it a big feat for a tech to know you changed the lock screen from the standard and neither is downloading an application from the internet and running it on your phone. Changing the look and feel of the phone is a pretty hard thing to miss.

Upvote 0
screen protectors do not void your warranty

Being of the legaleze mind, I couldn't find where Sprint specifically authorized the application of screen protection. Maybe I missed it somewhere though. If I were an unreasonable CS, I could claim that the unapproved screen coating has chemically altered the capacitive screen causing a malfunction. Not beyond the reason of some of the CS Techs.

Upvote 0
Being of the legaleze mind, I couldn't find where Sprint specifically authorized the application of screen protection. Maybe I missed it somewhere though. If I were an unreasonable CS, I could claim that the unapproved screen coating has chemically altered the capacitive screen causing a malfunction. Not beyond the reason of some of the CS Techs.
I purchased my screen protector from the Sprint store at the same time I bought my phone. The package had the Sprint name and logo on the front, and contained five protector sheets, for eight dollars. The Sprint salesman recommended that particular item for my phone. I'd have a field day with any CS rep who tries to give me a problem over my screen protector.

Upvote 0
I purchased my screen protector from the Sprint store at the same time I bought my phone. The package had the Sprint name and logo on the front, and contained five protector sheets, for eight dollars. The Sprint salesman recommended that particular item for my phone. I'd have a field day with any CS rep who tries to give me a problem over my screen protector.
I totally agree that Sprint has given implied consent by selling the product to you. But those that buy the "non-Sprint" screen protectors don't have such implied consent. I really doubt that Sprint would void the warrantee on anything that is reversible. But why do they pick and chose which reversible add-ons void the warrantee. The user guide is very loose on what actually does void the warrantee. Pretty much anything they don't expressly authorize is prohibited. I say, do what ever you want to your phone if it is reversible.

Upvote 0
Sorry.. I have to laugh... you told them you rooted it?

Reminds me of when I was in College Chemistry... picture it... Sicily... (just kidding) back in the day when everyone had the TI Calcuators that you could program with just about anything (including the periodic table of charts, or even the entire text of the chapter if you wanted to)
One of the girls in the class, in the middle of a test, walked up to the teacher, calculator in hand, and questioned something on the test... meanwhile she was showing him her calculator and how what she had stored in there didn't match what he was asking on the test. The professor immediately dropped his jaw. I immediately wiped the memory on my calculator. The professor had us all put our calculators down and one by one checked the size of the calculators memory.

We went from a class of 35 to a class of 12. Good times...

Upvote 0
hahaa lmao, that is a pretty good story i must admint, i wish so badly i coud use my calculator in my calculus class... it's just not right!

Yeah... the good thing was... the changed the testing format so that it was all multiple choice and no longer required calculators.

I felt bad for the physics folks... it was found out that they were transmitting answers from one calculator to the other via the IR port on the calcs. They installed dividers in the lab room

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones