Sprint sends me a replacement EVO, but...

Last Updated:

1. Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo Member This Topic's Starter

the phone came without a battery. One of the problems I was having was the battery getting HOT...not warm, but hot as hell. The phone had other issues as well. Light leakage on the bottom and half of the left side of the phone. The screen was also starting to dip on the bottom left corner.

...now what? Is the battery not going get hot in the replacement? This is getting confusing for a non-tech guy like me. Any ideas besides me calling Sprint and discussing this with bunch of there folks for hours.

thanks.

Advertisement
  2. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

have you tried the old battery in the new phone yet?

3. Uncle Leo

no. thought it might screw up the replacement. I could not believe that they did not send me a new battery. I would have happily sent the old one back with the defective phone.

4. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

No battery or SD card in the replacements.

Stick the battery in and try it. If it gets toasted just call them and send it back.

5. Uncle Leo

How do I tell if this EVO is a different version than mine. I'm hoping this one is a newer improved version.

thanks,

UL

6. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

I say go to an actual Sprint store and see if they will swap batteries . If not give them this face :mad: until they look like this :confused: and you walk out like that :).

RoboMonkey likes this.
  7. ibleedbloo

ibleedbloo Well-Known Member

Just curious, but why did you use an ellipses (...) in the title instead of the words "no battery"?

8. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

Menu- settings-about phone- hardware information

9. Uncle Leo

I got two EVOs on June 4th. I spend the whole day(literally) going from RS, BB, and every Sprint Store/Kiosk. My brother's phone is working great. Mine was a total lemon. I went to RS before my 30 days were up to try to return it. The associate told me that they don't have any. Call Sprint since I have a one-year warranty with sprint. He took my name down and told me he would let his manager know of my problems. I though I would get a new phone, but they sent me a replacement. I don't care as long as it works.

10. Uncle Leo

lol. I thought "no battery" would make the title too long.

"..." = "ellipses". Never knew that. Thanks.

11. Agent Jones

Agent Jones Well-Known Member

adds to the suspense factor! makes you wanna open the thread to see the but....lol

12. SporkLover

SporkLover Well-Known Member

Sad.... means Sprint is starting to provide refurbs.

13. Agent Jones

Agent Jones Well-Known Member

They have been providing refrubs since the beginning of june lol. I had problems with mine on june 10th and they ordered me a refrub. you cant even tell its a refrub and runs better than the new one i had. refrub means its gone back to the manufactor and is in new condition.

hyabusha likes this.
  14. SporkLover

I know what it means ;) I would rather get a NIB replacement seeing that most phones have been in use for 30 or so days.

15. Rippedone82

Rippedone82 New Member

Just wondering.... is there a way to tell if you receive a new or refurbished phone. I am planning on getting an Evo but do not want a refurb. I want a new phone... not someone else's refurbished.

16. SporkLover

A new phone will come in original packaging with new and all accessories.

Most Sprint refurb phones are in plain brown boxes with nothing more than a battery and a battery cover. Some come without the battery or battery cover.

17. Rippedone82

Rippedone82 New Member

that helped

18. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

I told you so!

19. SporkLover

Not sure if that was sarcasm, but the packaging is the best way to tell. The other methods are unreliable, especially if it's from Sprint/Asurion.

If it is the original box = new. If it is in a Plain brown box = Refurb. No exceptions.

You can do the ##786# method you look for Refurb dates in the Refurb field. Sometimes Refurbs have had their guts replaced, so that field isn't always updated.

The other method is to look for a sticker in the battery bay that says refurbished. Again.... Sticker easily removed.

20. evilsandwich

evilsandwich Member

Let me clear this up:

all replacements of phones over 30 days old are phone + battery cover only.

batteries can be replaced the same way but as a separate replacement

all phones are refirb, all batteries are refirb (unless out of stock then a new one in box is sent. don't get your hopes up, refirbs are in stock 99% of the time.)

stores cannot change color (unless original is out of stock, then mostly its just back ordered)

chargers + accessories are never replaced (unless the store is breaking policy to do it)

light leakage & 'screen dip' aka 'soft spot' are not issues which call for replacement (design flaw and replacements will likely be the same).

my advice is NEVER try to get your phone replaced if you're having a tiny issue which has no impact on the function of the phone. not only does it waste everyone's time and depletes stock, but the replacement might even be worse than the original.

sources: me, 7 years service&repair experience and I get annoyed with people that want a replacement because their phone works 100% but it has some teeny tiny cosmetic flaw

Agent Jones likes this.
  21. Uncle Leo

That's exactly what happened to my lemon. That's on top of it getting hot as hell after a few minutes of using the camera. How is a screen dipping a "NON-ISSUE"? That's crazy for a month old phone that I freaking pamper.

22. Uncle Leo

Exactly what happened at my local sprint store. Thank you for your idea.

23. Uncle Leo

The refurb is version 3. My lemon was a version 2.