Sprint Service in Denver, CO

Last Updated:

1. buff12db

buff12db Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Could anyone tell me about their experience with Sprint in Denver, CO. I'm thinking of switching over to Sprint from Verizon to save about $30/month. But if the Sprint network is no good, I'm not going to make the switch.
    I'm looking to know how the voice service is (dropped calls/coverage) and how the data network is (do you get 3G coverage) in Denver, the surrounding city areas, and the mountains. For me coverage in the mountains is very important because I'm up there all the time.
    Also, can anyone tell me about tethering with Spring?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

I would look at the Sprint coverage map in the Colorado state region and go from there. Perhaps ask some friends of yours if they use Sprint as their carrier too.

3. buff12db

I've checked the maps, and a lot of the state is in roaming. I'm wondering if while roaming whether or not you can still get 3G coverage. A map also doesn't tell you how many dropped calls you'll get while covered by Sprint's network.
    I don't have any friends on Sprint. Everyone is on Verizon.

4. bushming

bushming Member

I've got no complaints about the service all along the front range... Anywhere from Ft. Collins to the Springs it's good. It can get spotty up in the foothills, but most major roads up in the mountains have coverage. I've had Sprint Service out here for 14 years and have never considered changing for better coverage. Of course, the make and model of the phone have as much to do with it as the carrier. Your mileage may vary.

Craig

5. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

Well, I for one would not want to sit on roaming even if it were to save a couple bucks. Perhaps try a Google search for Sprint network in Colorado?

6. Firemans Wife

Firemans Wife Well-Known Member

I live down in Colorado Springs and go to Denver occassionally without any issues. Hope this helps!

7. deathtrap

deathtrap New Member

First time poster, but needed to respond here. I've had Sprint/Nextel for the last 3-4 years, and have never had a dropped call. When I have a phone that is actually built for the internet, I've never had a large amount of lag in the signal, and I can actually get service in the Eisenhower tunnel.

8. AmericanHero

AmericanHero Well-Known Member

I live in Fort Collins, Colorado. I have been with Verizon for 11 years. I switched carriers to get the Hero. I was nervous about the switch. To my surprise Sprint is far better. My dead zones have disappeared and never had a dropped call. Sprint in Colorado is far better coverage. My Wife commutes to the far Northwest corner of Colorado "Sterling" and she loves the new reliable sprint service. Big V has better overall coverage, but Colorado belongs to Sprint. My dead spots are gone forever. The only down side is the ring delay. I can live with that.

Jack

9. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

At least in my area the Sprint coverage maps are very accurate. I am about a mile from 3G, and they say I am just outside of their highest level (Excellent?) and sure enough, I am usually at 4 or 5 bars here... And no 3G. I do get 3G at work.

10. nathanotis

nathanotis Well-Known Member

I'm with bushming. Solid coverage, even indoors, which never happened on T-Mobile.

11. buff12db

Thanks for all the helpful responses!

12. nerdxamanda

nerdxamanda Member

I live in Denver Colorado, and I have never had a dropped call yet.. I have had sprint sense January 2010.. so far I like sprint, I had T-Mobile before and I am so glad I switched!

13. yaketyblah

yaketyblah Member

I have Sprint and am thrilled with the service. I live in Denver and travel to the mountains all the time with no problems. I get better coverage then I did with ATT or Tmobile. Roaming is not an issue with Sprint unless you roam more then 50% of the month, but there are no fees they just threaten to cancel you but never actually do it. (Had it happen on a long trip back east)

14. toasty

toasty Well-Known Member

I've never had an issue in Denver when I've visited, and I can also attest that at least Vail has Sprint towers all over the mountain, so coverage while you're skiing/boarding there is basically like being in a large metro area. Not sure about the other mountains, but hey, I could just hit Vail for the rest of my life, and I'd probably be content. :)

15. deathtrap

deathtrap New Member

One thing in particular to remember about Sprint is that when they took over Nextel, they took over a network that a lot of companies and the government rely on, and the towers for both Sprint and Nextel were added to the network, so you are getting twice the coverage of most networks due to this.

16. Firemans Wife

Firemans Wife Well-Known Member

Same here, never a dropped call. I like to brag when everyone else is without a signal and I still have service. I had sprint about 8 years ago and hated the shotty coverage and frequent dropped calls. We went to t-mo which was better but still not great, went to nextel about 4 years ago, way better than t-mo, then came full circle 3 years ago back to sprint, and the coverage has substantially improved! Havent have any issues since, dont lose service in castle rock between springs and denver either.

17. buff12db

Thanks again to everyone for the much appreciated comments!!

Looks like I may be switching to Sprint in the near future if I can get them to buy out my current Verizon contract. What was everyone's experience with switching carriers?

18. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member

I live in Kansas and everytime I go to Denver, my phone works phone and I also got Sprint!

19. nathanotis

nathanotis Well-Known Member

I came over from T-Mobile. And I ported my number. The whole thing took 10 minutes.

20. jonwlewis

jonwlewis Well-Known Member

I live in Loveland Colorado. I'm 10 miles from the mountains and 45 mins from Denver. I have great reception. I got the Hero from Sprint and LOVE it. I would not want another service in this area.

21. atoz350

atoz350 Member

I live in Aurora, CO. Just outside of Denver. Everywhere I've been in CO has had excellent coverage. I only had spotty coverage in the mountains once, where a Verizon phone in the same car had no coverage.

22. badkelly

badkelly Member

new here and a little late in responding, but i found this through a search and wanted to answer for future lookers.

we moved to vail from texas a few years ago with sprint service and were amazed at the great reception we had. i just recently got the epic phone and mentioned at the sprint store in denver that we had great reception because i was told one of the brass at sprint apparently has a home up here and was the reason behind it. the salesmen said he sold to one of the brass's daughters and learned that because sprint has such a prominent deal with vail resorts and the olympic team, they have a tower higher up on the mountain instead of lower in the village. a lot of the lanyards they give away have sprint logos and they are major sponsors of the olympic ski team, so it would stand to reason they are excellent carriers in this area.

whether or not it's all true is hearsay, but it makes sense because i have reception all the way in blue sky with great bar-age.

23. rachelkitten

rachelkitten Member

I've had Sprint for 5 years and I've had nothing but great service. The only dropped calls I would get is when I was talking to an AT&T user and it was their fault. Plus 4G is coming out soon and Downtown Denver is starting to show signs of it.